Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
wahoowhippets
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy PLEASE HELP Baby won't take medicine!

I need tips PLEASE! I am desperate! My 11 month old baby has been spitting out the medicine I try to give her...I can't mix in in with food cuz she isn't into solids yet--just momma milk LOL! Poor baby has an ear infection and tons of drainage down her throat and I think it makes her gag a bit and sometimes she vomits up the medicine...I give it to her very, very slowly in a syringe and really take my time but lately she spits it out and throws a fit! I used to be able to blow on her face gently and she would swallow it but now that trick doesn't work anymore...all she does now is spit, spit, spit! I am at such a loss...any ideas anyone? Thanks so much all, I know someone out there must have some tricks up their sleeve!

Advertisement

wahoowhippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
gala
Registered Users

Re: PLEASE HELP Baby won't take medicine!

Sorry, no suggestions - only sympathy!

DD takes medication every day, and I used to dissolve it in BM and use the syringe but then she started spitting it back out so now I just dissolve a little and add to her food. (She's 8.5 months and has been on solids since 5). The syringe was far more efficient.

Is there another time of day when she'd be less likely to fuss over it? i.e later in the morning instead of first thing?
gala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
sienna
Registered Users

www.askdrsears.com

has some tricks to deal with this.

S
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
lisapoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not much help, but lots of sympathy. We just got done going through the same thing. The only thing that worked was using a syringe like you're already doing, and even then he'd throw it up sometimes. The antibiotic was the worst. None of it stayed down. We finally had to get a shot. Since he had double ear infection and pnemonia, I didn't want to let it go untreated too long. Hope others have tips for you!
lisapoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
chrisandjames
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry about your little one Our guy had chronic ear infections the first year and he did this when they switched his medication. Could it be that the new medicine is a different kind? Christopher would take amoxicilin no problem (pink one), but couldn't do the other one (can't remember the name but it's white). I called and asked for something else, and they gave us omnicef and it was much better. HTH
chrisandjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:41 AM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

put the medicine to the inner cheek and they will swallow it, putit in slowly so they can't spit it out
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
wahoowhippets
Registered Users
seller

Smile Re: PLEASE HELP Baby won't take medicine!

I have been trying different things thanks to you helpful mommas and have had much better sucess! What seems to help a lot is this: I put her on my hip in the sling, steady her head in the crook of my arm, use other hand to give meds in the cheek pouch, very slowly, a bit at a time. I try and distract her with other things right after dosing her so she won't be tempted to spit it back out. I take my time and only do a little at a time, then do a distraction, then give a little more, and so on. Thanks again mommas you rock! I hope this can help someone else too! If anyone has other tips, feel free to add them to this thread!
wahoowhippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

My only ideas are if she takes a paci. I'm happy to hear it's going better!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote