Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: discipline for toddlers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysMama View Post
Thanks for sharing that Minda,
I'll have to try that one! Usually, I'll just let him flip out where ever he is and I just remove myself. This might work better for us.
Keep us updated! and with anything new you try give it atleast a week or two as they are use to the "play reading one way and you are changing the script" once they know what is expected and that you are holding your ground they will yeild! sometimes sooner than others but yeild all the same!

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

I just set out his blanket and he's now sitting on it singing. He's not in trouble or anything, just playing in his 'naughty spot.'
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I just set out his blanket and he's now sitting on it singing. He's not in trouble or anything, just playing in his 'naughty spot.'
Thats hillarious!!

We homeschool and do "blanket time" did more of it when the middle 2 kiddos were between 2 and 4- but when I need to do one on one and need things calm and kids staying in sight then I lay out 2 blankets on the floor the two kids I am not working one on one with atthe time sit on their own blanket with something- shape/pattern blocks, magnets, words books- etc etc etc- they have to remain on the blanket and have only whisper voices- I set the timmer for 10-15 miniutes and when it dings we rotate- rotate children, activities etc. I have certain things that only come out during school time. This blanket stuff has been a priceless tool for me throughout the years. Last year I had a new baby in August so and my next one up didn't turn 3 until november. It was great being able to throw out her blanket and have her sit knowing she would stay while I nursed or changed a dipe or something- they all love blanket time because of the "only for blanket time" things that they get to do.
Blankets also helped when my (again the same kid) Mairyn couldn't seem to not be introuble all the time. She was just plain being a trouble maker so for a few weeks of her three year old life she followed me around with a basket full of goodies and her blanket. eberywhere I went she went- If I was somewhere- like the living room then she just played freely with her sisters but if I had to leave the area she or I would grab her blanket and basket and away would wold go and then she would have her blanket time while I did whatever I needed to with her near me on the floor.
This was much better than dicipling her all day- she eventually got over that hump and was fully restored to "non- terror" status. LOL -whatever works right!...Minda
Old 01-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
LOL...I'm not sure it works if he LIKES his 'naughty spot', but its a great idea....gonna have to find me a 'naughty spot'.

I can honestly say that sometimes I feel like I am in need of Supernanny....I watch that show and try to learn from what Jo teaches although I have to admit that I sometimes think 'yeah, that'll never work with my kids'!
Old 01-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #15
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetboys View Post
LOL...I'm not sure it works if he LIKES his 'naughty spot', but its a great idea....gonna have to find me a 'naughty spot'.

I can honestly say that sometimes I feel like I am in need of Supernanny....I watch that show and try to learn from what Jo teaches although I have to admit that I sometimes think 'yeah, that'll never work with my kids'!
I have watched that as well- I like most of what she comes up with.

For us we like things to be quick done and over with- there is an offense, the offence calls for discipline- the offense is forgiven- over and done with.

Sometimes it is soooo overwhelming all the things we need to train and instill into our children- Praise God our kids are so forgiving of our mistakes!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #16
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashandri View Post
I'm struggling with this topic...Any book suggestions about discipline for a 1 1/2 year old or should I even be bothering at this age. I am a support of attachment parenting and Dr. Sears. However, I read that his discipline book wasn't that great. Has anyone read "parenting with love and logic" or "how to talk so your kids will listen"? OR any other suggestions of good reads?
can i ask who are the authors of these books
thanks
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetboys View Post

Yeah, I picked it up so I can bring it out and use it when he needs it. He hasn't needed anything all day today, I'm pretty proud. One day at a time, eh?

Oh and I feel like we need supernanny sometimes too, but then I realize that I don't have enough kids for the producers of that show to consider lending me the supernanny! All the folks on that show have more than one!

Last edited by SugarBunsWool&More; 01-15-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #18
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyG View Post
can i ask who are the authors of these books
thanks
Hey Sandy,
Here's the info on the love and logic book I have:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
Old 01-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #19
ashandri
Registered Users
seller

The author for "how to talk so kids will listen..." is Adele Faber and Elaine Maslish. I don't know much about it...just saw it on Amazon and it seemed pretty highly rated. I still am not finding a lot geared towards young toddlers around 18 months.

"wraphappy" or anyone else with ideas . I really like the idea of a blanket as time out, but how in the world do you get your 17 month to stay there. I was thinking about doing timeout for my 18 month old in a playpen because she has never had a playpen before and doesn't associate it with anything. However, I read in one of my parenting magazine that timeout doesn't work until a toddler is about 2 due to difficulty understanding cause/effect or consequence/reward. However, at the same time, my 18 month sure does seem to know what she is doing ...However, if I do timeout should I truly do it every time she throws a temper tantrum. She is usually having them when I won't hold her at that very moment (I'm over 8 months pregnant which makes it difficult), won't let her stand up in a chair, sit on the counter, etc. Also, how do you define a temper tantrum...simply crying or should she be on the floor or just be really whiney. She is usually just really whiney and cries some. Is that reason enough for timeout? The whining is driving me nuts I have to admit. As for hitting, how do you define that. When she is really tired, she will sometimes push us away on our faces, but has never really hit or kicked us or even attempted. Is that really hitting. I feel like such a dumby for asking so many dumb questions, but I don't want to mess this up and I feel like a lot of you have much more experience than I do. Funny thing is, I was a 3rd-5th and middle school teacher for "behaviorally and emotionally disabled" children. Behavior management is what I taught all day long and I was successful, but hand me a 18month old and I don't have a clue!....thanks
ashandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #20
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

first I do not "make them stay" they go to the spot and get up when they are done. If they continue to do whatever it is that they went there for and keep getting up and comming to you you keep bringing them back saying the same thing- such as "you may not whine at me like that... you may get up from yout spot when you are finished with your icky sounds" or whatever the issue is.
This is a hard age because their communication level is not up verbally to where their mental level is- however teaching proper communication skills is still a must.

a timeout for one of my kids atthis age may be for an out right tantrum-
they wanted to put their hand down my shirt while I was holding them- I told them no-they did it again- I out them down-they thus throw a fit.
I have understanding to the fact that now they are mad because I put them down but the behaviour is still unacceptable.
"you may not sit and scream at my feet. I said no putting hands down my shirt and you did not obey. when you are doing with your fit you may get up and come see me"
when they get up and come to me we then give loves and then I redirect them.

Here is another example (I actually just did this with Adam lol) Adam is shutting himself in a room and then crying, we, meaning one of the kids or I keep opening the door- he immediately shuts it again. I thus grab a towel and throw it over the door- he then started crying because he wants to shut the door- to the time out spot he goes. "I am sorry you are mad but you were being foolish- you may come find me when you are done" I then walked away he whinned for about 13 seconds and came to give me a high 5 and a kiss- I then offered him loves back and engaged him in playing with his tractor and came back to typing this.

Sometimes he will go for big fits like that- sometimes it is for wretched sounds he is making because he is mad that he is not getting what he wants.

You have to have grace and mercy and understanding with this age but you also need to be ontop of things and be constantly strearing them in the right direction.

for many of our timeout moments it is a combination of behaviour combined with attituted vs behaviour combined with circumstance. If he is crying in the kitchen because I have dinner 30 minutes late- I can't blame him for not understanding why I have not feed him and thus I bend- to the table he goes to start on whatever is ready! thus grace-
If he however is in my kitchen mad because the girls shut the bedroom door in order to put their clothes away and he is not accepting my redirection then he will go to time out.

I hope all that makes sence- we don't do the 1-2-3- stuff if they can listen on 3 then they can listen on 1. I do give healthy reminders at this age and have a lot of understanding.

However I do not want a yelling, attitude prone toddler on my hands and thus the behavior that is unexceptable is delt with- always within reason to the attitude/circumstance at hand.

Kids know what you expect from them and they are constantly pushing the boundaries- so set the boundaries and they will gladly live within them!

Personally I do not hold many of our current child philosophies in high regard and could careless if they think a time out isn't appropraite. I think it is- within reason!
just like chores my kids pull their weight around our home- from the time they can start helping the do! A three year old can make her bed but not as well as the seven year old. However as long as she does it to the best of her ability then it is a job well done! I do not expext the 3 yearold to do something the same as the 7.
timeouts and I think discipline in general is the same. I do not expect a 16 month old child to sit on a time out chair and think really long and hard about their decision. As I might have a 6 year old do. I do not expect a 20 month old child to sit in their time out quietly as I do a 4 year old.
All I hope to gain from this is setting up the boundary for what is or is not exceptable. You get out of line and their is a consequence. A toddler can rightly handle going to a spot and being told that when they are doing with thei unexceptable behaviour they can get up!... it doesn't take them very long to figure out that if they keep getting up and screaming at you then they will go back. I have had a few times with some of my kids at this age that I did go put them in their bed for a minute. Always going back and sweetly asking "are you done" and if their lift their arms to me and apear to be upset but no longer deep in the thouroughs of wretched behavior then I get them up- if I ask the question and they pull their arms into their body and scream at me then I walk back out of the room because they are clearly not done. eventually I go in and they are ready, their rage is over and I thank them for allowing their attitude to change and I tell them I love them.

I am sorry about the "book" I am apparently writting here- I hope I did bable to much and that I have made sence!...Minda