Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
kelleysunshine's Avatar
kelleysunshine
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA- NOLA baby!
Posts: 128
My Mood:
Please, someone; words of encourangement please!!!

Im a Doula.


One of my clients today who I thought was due in 2-3 months I find out her due date is oct 17. My daughters bday is oct 14 and her partys the 18th! Shes never had me NOT there. THis is going to be the first time. This caught me COMPLETELY off guard- Im so anxious now. I have NO milk saved up and she doesnt eat solids yet. I have no idea how much milk I should save up or anything. I pumped today and got a little more than an ounce. =( As of next Tuesday shes full term, its also her second so Im expecting her to go early adn quick. My baby nurses through the night and cosleeps. I cant just leave her in the middle of the night! I feel so bad, I thought I had more time to prepare for this! Im now gulping down the MOthers Milk tea to try to boost my supply. ANy suggestions or words of help? Anything would help me now!

( I know what to do for my supply. I just need ideas on ounces and how I should go about timing and my dearest daughter.)

Advertisement

kelleysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #2
bluedove's Avatar
bluedove
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: East Texas
Posts: 176
Re: Please, someone; words of encourangement please!!!

First thing to do is calm down! Stressing makes pumping that much harder!

Hmmm... the ozs is tricky due to the fact that you can't really know how long you'll be away... Will you be there for her entire labor, no matter how long it takes, or will you be able to slip out for a bit if her labor isn't progressing? Will you be able to pump and send milk home somehow?

This is what I found on how to figure out how many oz needed:
To calculate the approximate range for the number of ounces of expressed breastmilk to provide per feeding use the following mathematical formula:

Take your baby's weight in pounds and multiply it by two and a half to three times. Then, divide this number by the total number of feedings per day to arrive at the approximate feeding amount, in ounces, for each feeding.

Example:
In your case this would be baby's weight (12) times either two and a half, equaling 30 (ounces) or three times, equaling 36 (ounces). Then divide this number by the total number of feeds per day. For example, if your baby has ten feedings per day, he or she would have between 3 and 3.6 ounces at each feeding.

Read more: http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...#ixzz0SCedMzVj


But definitely start pumping and freezing now. I have trouble letting down for a pump, but what helps me is to use a quality, powered pump that I can control suction and cycle on. Then I sit at my 'puter in the comfy chair and put on a slide show of pics of my baby. Pics of her nursing helps even more.

Try not to worry, I'm sure she'll be ok while you're with your client.
Good Luck!
__________________
~Jamie~ future wife of Tim
CD'ing, BF'ing, co-sleeping, homeschooling, non-vaxing, SAHM to
Eli ~ May 2001 and
Chloe ~ May 2009
bluedove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
kelleysunshine's Avatar
kelleysunshine
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA- NOLA baby!
Posts: 128
My Mood:
Re: Please, someone; words of encourangement please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedove View Post
First thing to do is calm down! Stressing makes pumping that much harder!

Hmmm... the ozs is tricky due to the fact that you can't really know how long you'll be away... Will you be there for her entire labor, no matter how long it takes, or will you be able to slip out for a bit if her labor isn't progressing? Will you be able to pump and send milk home somehow?

This is what I found on how to figure out how many oz needed:
To calculate the approximate range for the number of ounces of expressed breastmilk to provide per feeding use the following mathematical formula:

Take your baby's weight in pounds and multiply it by two and a half to three times. Then, divide this number by the total number of feedings per day to arrive at the approximate feeding amount, in ounces, for each feeding.

Example:
In your case this would be baby's weight (12) times either two and a half, equaling 30 (ounces) or three times, equaling 36 (ounces). Then divide this number by the total number of feeds per day. For example, if your baby has ten feedings per day, he or she would have between 3 and 3.6 ounces at each feeding.

Read more: http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...#ixzz0SCedMzVj


But definitely start pumping and freezing now. I have trouble letting down for a pump, but what helps me is to use a quality, powered pump that I can control suction and cycle on. Then I sit at my 'puter in the comfy chair and put on a slide show of pics of my baby. Pics of her nursing helps even more.

Try not to worry, I'm sure she'll be ok while you're with your client.
Good Luck!
I have a Avent Isis manual pump. I cant feel my letdown like I do when Im nursing but the milk starts spraying. I pumped once yesterday and got a little over an ounce and this morning and got an ounce and a half. Im going to try to pump once or twice a day. I made the Mothers Milk tea into iced tea and have been drinking that since last night. Hopefully itll boost my supply some so I cant pump more.
I 'can' get milk to her while my clients in labor. The hospital shes going to be at, my in laws dont like so they dont want to go there. (They say its dirty when its actually not. Talk about pissing my off way too early in the morning!)
Ill most likely be with her the entire labor. From the point she arrives to the hospital to a few hours pp. As a doula, I have to support the labor, birth, and help with the first breastfeeding. Id like to stay to once shes moved into her patient room as well. As soon as the babys born, I can have my daghter brought to me. I can put her in a sling while I assist the first nursing session and whatnot.
Im worried about what if she goes into labor in the middle of the night? We cosleep and she nurses throughout the night. Im considering bringing her along, letting her sleep in a stroller, (the bakc will lay totally down.) and just having someone pick her up in the morning. (My in laws were against this idea but its my baby not theirs!!!)
Im just hoping she doesnt go into labor on my babys birthday or birthday party! =/ Wahhhhh!!!!!
kelleysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
kelleysunshine's Avatar
kelleysunshine
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA- NOLA baby!
Posts: 128
My Mood:
Re: Please, someone; words of encourangement please!!!

kelleysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
foxygoober's Avatar
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 3,533
My Mood:
Re: Please, someone; words of encourangement please!!!

She'll be fine for one night/day. . .really. Don't stress yourself out about it.
To be honest, I wouldn't want my doula to bring her baby while I was in labor. And then I'd be worried about germs with a newborn. That's just my opinion though.

My ds2 refused bottles, still co-sleeps, etc. There were times I just had to leave him with someone else. Yes, he was somewhat upset, but he knew that if I wasn't around he couldn't nurse. So yea, both he and whoever was watching him lost sleep, but everyone survived. Don't stress, pump what you can. I assume you'll have more patients after this one? So I would just keep storing up the small amounts of milk (it'll add up before you know it) even if she doesn't use it this go around, maybe the next time. . .btw has she taken bm from a source other than you before?
__________________
JackieMarried to my love Momma to Isaac 11/18/04Elijah 12/22/07 Roman 11/25/09Lorelei Noel 12/25/11
foxygoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
kelleysunshine's Avatar
kelleysunshine
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA- NOLA baby!
Posts: 128
My Mood:
Re: Please, someone; words of encourangement please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxygoober View Post
She'll be fine for one night/day. . .really. Don't stress yourself out about it.
To be honest, I wouldn't want my doula to bring her baby while I was in labor. And then I'd be worried about germs with a newborn. That's just my opinion though.

My ds2 refused bottles, still co-sleeps, etc. There were times I just had to leave him with someone else. Yes, he was somewhat upset, but he knew that if I wasn't around he couldn't nurse. So yea, both he and whoever was watching him lost sleep, but everyone survived. Don't stress, pump what you can. I assume you'll have more patients after this one? So I would just keep storing up the small amounts of milk (it'll add up before you know it) even if she doesn't use it this go around, maybe the next time. . .btw has she taken bm from a source other than you before?

She's only ever taken milk straight from me. But she wil drink water and juice from a cup so Im hoping she'll take the milk like this for a day.

About bringing her along, Ive taken her to a few births. But they were homebirths and she was young enough to be content in a sling to whole time. If I had to nurse her, I would pause for a second, latch her on and be done with that. This is defferent though, its a hospital birth and shes VERY active. =/

I just worry. I started pumping last night and now I have almost 6 ozs stored. Im getting there...
kelleysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:47 AM   #7
bluedove's Avatar
bluedove
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: East Texas
Posts: 176
Re: Please, someone; words of encourangement please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleysunshine View Post
I have a Avent Isis manual pump.
I had that pump first time around... it was nice enough for a manual pump, but I really need a powered pump to get much milk.
Quote:
Im worried about what if she goes into labor in the middle of the night? We cosleep and she nurses throughout the night. Im considering bringing her along, letting her sleep in a stroller, (the bakc will lay totally down.) and just having someone pick her up in the morning. (My in laws were against this idea but its my baby not theirs!!!)
Im just hoping she doesnt go into labor on my babys birthday or birthday party! =/ Wahhhhh!!!!!
When you say "through the night" do you mean she stirs several times a night and roots around and nurses, or do you mean she stays attached all night and will wake the minute you get out of bed?
Does your DH not sleep with you both too? I would say just have him move closer to her in bed so she'll still feel a presence next to her and wish him luck! Maybe she would stay asleep and be just fine... But you keep mentioning the IL's... I guess they will be keeping her for you when this comes up?
__________________
~Jamie~ future wife of Tim
CD'ing, BF'ing, co-sleeping, homeschooling, non-vaxing, SAHM to
Eli ~ May 2001 and
Chloe ~ May 2009
bluedove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
kelleysunshine's Avatar
kelleysunshine
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA- NOLA baby!
Posts: 128
My Mood:
Re: Please, someone; words of encourangement please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedove View Post
I had that pump first time around... it was nice enough for a manual pump, but I really need a powered pump to get much milk.

When you say "through the night" do you mean she stirs several times a night and roots around and nurses, or do you mean she stays attached all night and will wake the minute you get out of bed?
Does your DH not sleep with you both too? I would say just have him move closer to her in bed so she'll still feel a presence next to her and wish him luck! Maybe she would stay asleep and be just fine... But you keep mentioning the IL's... I guess they will be keeping her for you when this comes up?
WIth pumping Im only getting an ounce or two at a time. Its going to add up I know, its just frustrating. =/ I just finished pumping, I kept having to reposition the massage petals so I would stay stimulated. All that work just for barely 2 ozs! I KNOW i have a great milk supply!!! Ive been sustaining my 11 month old- she wont eat food! Grr stupid pump!

She wont stay attached all night, she'll stir and root. Im not even sure how often a night she'll do this. If she's moved, she'll root for me. She latches herself on so I dont evenknow how many times a night she feeds...

My hubby works monday through friday and because of his job cannot relly request off of work (dumb I know!) So Im getting the IL's to watch her if he's at work. If its the weekend, my hubby will be watching her. And my plan so far for the middle of the night is to take her with me and let her sleep in her stroller there. Of course Im going to talk to my client about this arrangement but I cant forsee her minding...
kelleysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.