Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
njschultz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vent about my mom.

Don't get me wrong I love her to death. But she doesn't get BF past 3 months at all. Lindsey is almost 9 mos and still nursing strong. Eats what ever she can get a hold of. I was on the phone with mom this morning and Lindsey wanted to nurse after her cereal I was tell my mom to hold on so I could ge lindsey from the high chair to go sit down. My mom asked if lindsey took a cup. I said we are trying but she just plays with it still. Her comment stop nursing. Your only still nursing for you she dosent get anything from it now. I said theres more to nursing than just the milk. Its comfort and security for her. Its how she relaxes. Mom still continued. So we agreed to disagree. My mom is not very supporting of my parenting style at all and this just shows it.

thanks for the vent.

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
dluciew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vent about my mom.

I too have a mother that can be difficult at times. Always reminding me "did you do this" or "you shouldn't do that". I know where your coming from. It took me a long time to let some of her comments go in one ear and out the other. Hang in there. BF as long as you and your daughter want, not your mother!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
pottymomma
Registered Users
seller

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure it can be hard to not have that support from your mom. My mom has made some comments, but for the most part is supportive of bf...I think she has her age limit too, though. I'm worried I may hit it with this guy! LOL

I am suprised to hear that people actually think the child doesn't get anything from it. I bet your little girl is staying healthier this winter than she would otherwise.

http://pottymomma.blogspot.com
pottymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Sorry your mom isn't supportive. My mom is pretty supportive but we have yet to make it past 7 mo so I don't know how she will be past that. Even at that point she would tell me the baby should try solids, juices etc all the things that disrupt a nursing relationship. And when my ODD tried to nurse her babydoll my mom kind of freaked so I don't think she as on board w/ the nursing thing as I thought she was.

Well you do the best you can, because you are doing a great thing for you DD. And I guess my best advice is to avoid such topics w/ your mom. I know easier said than done. Good luck
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm soo sorry.
I know you want the best for your DD and nursing is the best.
My mom is a little too supportive of BF...There is a picture of me (7 y/o ) nursing my baby on the WALL at her house still....22 years later.
LOL! At least you don't have to worry about that.

My MIL is like so exactly what is so good about BFing...still after 6 months...

Make your own decisions. It's OK to disagree with your mom or your MIL...
Karen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

At least were always here to lend an ear. (I rhymed!!)
I hope your mom lets up at least!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That sounds like a lady at my church and my MIL! I know it can be hard to do the BEST for your child sometimes.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never understand the "don't get anything from it past x age"...that's like saying "well, you are grown up, so you don't need vegetables anymore - you don't get anything from it!" WTH? Not to mention that the AAP recommends bfing for AT LEAST 1 year and WHO recommends AT LEAST 2 years...
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
Roerte
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Not to mention that the AAP recommends bfing for AT LEAST 1 year and WHO recommends AT LEAST 2 years...
Indeed, you can use that as a reason to continue.

You can also tell her that solids usually aren't recommended until 4 - 6 months anyway, and even then, baby won't be getting much from solids until later. /shrug

I figure as long as you know how much to balance baby's diet so that there's not a malnutrition issue, it's okay.
Roerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
A'smommy
Registered Users

BTDT. Still dealing.

I would say "Then YOU tell my child she doesn't need it, and see how she reacts!" It wouldn't be pretty I can assure you. At 20 months DD is VERY opinionated. When I try to distract her from nursing it RARELY works.

Ahh well. She'll quit before she goes to kindergarten.

(Have you tried joking about it to your mom?)