Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
mama23boys
Banned
seller

"Bottle" Mouth?????

so today at WIC i was told to cut out/down his night nursing bc it can cause "bottle" mouth. he nurses to sleep (naps and nighttime) and this is the ONLY way he will go to sleep and i cant see giving him a sippy cup or bottle instead.

when he does wake up at night to nurse, he nurses and then i pop him off bc i am not comfortable in one position all night. LOL we are probably nursing 2-3x...

is there any truth in this??? can anyone link me to CURRENT articles that i can print out to take to them so they can at least read and understand.

tks so much

Advertisement

mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Bottle" Mouth?????

"bottle mouth"? The only thing even like this that I've heard of his that weird teeth thing that can happen if you give a baby a bottle all night long (or somethign like that...)... never heard of any problems from just bfing! Sounds like a whole lot of folks would be running around with bottle mouth if that were the case!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

teeth rot is basically what they might be referring to. Even if your little one isn't nursing, there is still milk coming out and coating their mouth, which will cause cavities.
one article
second article- most informative if you ask me.

A very respected ped dentist told me that a good time to stop nursing at night was by a year old. If they still want something at night, give them a bottle with water in it.

My middle is a victim of my ignorance about extended nursing at night. By 18 months, she had two very small cavities in her molars and I'm pretty rigid about tooth care. Breastmilk, although it's the best, still has sugar in it.

Last edited by dirtdartwife; 01-12-2007 at 09:18 PM.
dirtdartwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As much as I'd like to stop night-nursing, my 21-month-old would have the entire NEIGHBOURHOOD awake within 5 minutes of me saying no. God forbid I try to give him a bottle! You'd have thought we were trying to poison him when he was a baby. I had to be in court once all day for one of my f-kid's and dh said he screamed like it was javex... he was a hungry baby by the time I got home!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
dirtdartwife
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontariomama View Post
As much as I'd like to stop night-nursing, my 21-month-old would have the entire NEIGHBOURHOOD awake within 5 minutes of me saying no. God forbid I try to give him a bottle! You'd have thought we were trying to poison him when he was a baby. I had to be in court once all day for one of my f-kid's and dh said he screamed like it was javex... he was a hungry baby by the time I got home!
The ped that told me about the night nursing did understand this. I, too, nursed at night until she was 18 months when she stopped. (didn't stop nursing though). He just said that if you do extended night nursing, you have to be very conscious and conduct above average oral hygeine to prevent bottle mouth.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Another thing to consider though is that some people simply have teeth that are more prone to cavities than others. My older brother was one of those folks. My parents were told he suffered from "bottle mouth" or whatever they called it then and he lost several teeth as a child and had to have silver looking ones put in. But then even as a teen and adult, no matter what he does, he's prone to dental issues. So in some cases it's just a case of rotten genetics.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I read someone that breastmilk doesnt lower (maybe it was raise) the pH of the mouth to allow bacteria and cavities to flourish. I will try to find it for you.

My almost 18mo ds nurses to sleep and during the night too.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

Here is an article written in '98. There are links to newer articles at the bottom.

Basiclly, keep nursing momma!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
WinterMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

First of all, eyeroll that she's telling you to stop NURSING so he doesn't get BOTTLE mouth. HELLO?

What I've read (somewhere...who knows) is that it's not the BM that will do it to it's teeth, it's whatever else is in there. So if you brush his teeth and don't give anything else but water and breastmilk they should be fine. However if they eat something then nurse to sleep you could have problems.

HTH

Ds nursed until age 3. His teeth are perfect.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #10
dirtdartwife
seller

My Mood:

bottle mouth is a generic term, nothing specific to an actual bottle. Even dentists will tell you it's a generic term and the dental association link I provided above (the second one) even states that it's a general term.

breast milk has sugar in it. Flat out. There is nothing wrong with extended nursing, you just have to be careful and have good oral hygiene. There is no need to start insulting people that are just trying to pass out proper and accurate information to everyone regardless if you nurse or bottle feed. It's all a risk, no matter what choice of feeding you choose. And it's like Hitchkids said too, sometimes it's just pisspoor genetics (ok, so she said it nicer)

mama, use common sense. if you continue to nurse at night, just be extra vigilant of brushing your baby's mouth/teeth.