Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
chelle0518
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Bottle" Mouth?????

I've nursed both my older guys to sleep, one until 4 and the other til 2 1/2 and there's not a cavity in their mouths.
Some of the worst BFing advice I've ever heard has come from WIC ppl.
There's some good articles up there....you nurse that baby,mama!

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #12
mama23boys
Banned
seller

tks everyone so much for the links i have loads of reading to do!

quitting nursing at night simply isnt an option for him at all since i am basically the only one with him 24/7. he dosent get straight up juice, when he does get its cut greatly with water. so basically it sounds like i just need to start brushing his teeth at night before bed, which i havent been doing

i would love to hear more if anyone has more to add
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #13
aschrimp
Registered Users

My ds currently has 3 cavities that are likely at least partially due to his night nursing (they are all on the side that she sleeps on, the location that milk is most likely to pool).

We are likely going to have to have him put under anesthesia at a hospital to have them filled, since at 16 months he is not likely to sit still for a filling. This is neither cheap or without risk.

Does this mean that I am done with night nursing? Not sure yet. I am trying to weigh the comfort of night nursing (which he is still *very* attached to - there's no way a water bottle would work for him) vs the potential risk of more cavities. His dentist says no more nursing at all (which we are ignoring)!!!

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife View Post
bottle mouth is a generic term, nothing specific to an actual bottle. Even dentists will tell you it's a generic term and the dental association link I provided above (the second one) even states that it's a general term.

breast milk has sugar in it. Flat out. There is nothing wrong with extended nursing, you just have to be careful and have good oral hygiene. There is no need to start insulting people that are just trying to pass out proper and accurate information to everyone regardless if you nurse or bottle feed. It's all a risk, no matter what choice of feeding you choose. And it's like Hitchkids said too, sometimes it's just pisspoor genetics (ok, so she said it nicer)

mama, use common sense. if you continue to nurse at night, just be extra vigilant of brushing your baby's mouth/teeth.
Bottle mouth, or cavities, etc. can be caused by the sugars in formula, juice, cow's, milk, foods etc, that are left on the teeth overnight. HOWEVER, breastmilk does NOT cause the same problems (yes, it does have sugar, but it not *just* the sugar that causes the decay - it is the bacteria feeding on the sugars). BM has anti-bacterial agents (such as lactoferrin) in it that prevent this bacteria from flourishing. Also, a feeding baby does not let the milk pool in their mouths, the nipple is far back in the mouth and milk goes straight down their throat. Here's a few quotes from kellymom.com: "According to a recent article in the March/April 1999 issue of Pediatric Dentistry, "It is concluded that human breast milk is not cariogenic."
"A study by Dr. Norman Tinanoff showed that breastmilk in itself does not give rise to cavities as much as was previously thought. Dr. Tinanoff believes that the milk proteins in breastmilk protect the enamel on the teeth, and that the antibacterial qualities in breastmilk stop the bacteria from using the lactose in breastmilk in the same way as regular sugar. This dentist also showed that 5 minutes of breastfeeding lowered the pH-level only slightly more than rinsing the mouth with a little water."

"According to this research, a baby who is exclusively breastfed (no supplemental bottles, juice, or solids) will not have decay unless he is genetically predisposed, i.e.. soft or no enamel. In a baby who does have a genetic problem, weaning will not slow down the rate of decay and may speed it up due to lack of lactoferrin."

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html
Here are some links from Mothering to more information about this:http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr.../cavities.html
All the articles do say that obviously good dental hygiene is still important, but night nursing will NOT cause caries.
So, keep nursing mama!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #15
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschrimp View Post
My ds currently has 3 cavities that are likely at least partially due to his night nursing (they are all on the side that she sleeps on, the location that milk is most likely to pool).

We are likely going to have to have him put under anesthesia at a hospital to have them filled, since at 16 months he is not likely to sit still for a filling. This is neither cheap or without risk.

Does this mean that I am done with night nursing? Not sure yet. I am trying to weigh the comfort of night nursing (which he is still *very* attached to - there's no way a water bottle would work for him) vs the potential risk of more cavities. His dentist says no more nursing at all (which we are ignoring)!!!
I would recommend printing out the studies referenced on kellymom & mothering and taking them into your ds' dentist. Unfirtunately, many professionals are not fully educated about bf'ing and its benefits. Dr. Brian Palmer, DDS has a website that talks directly to this misconception about night nursiing causing caries. Good luck!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #16
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I am married to my dentist and still nurse our 13mo all night and did the 3 kids before him. He has yet to say a thing, and if it was soooo evil I would think he would. He complains all the time about "bottle rot" babies, but says he has never seen a ebf baby with it.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #17
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 13month old & 2.5 year old both nurse either to sleep or to nap ..... neither have any kind of cavities. Actually when I took DS to his 1st dentist appoinment the Dentist asked if he gets a bottle or boob when he sleeps, I said he has never had a bottle but yes BFs .... he said good because that WILL NOT have any affect on his teeth!!!! How DCs suck on bottles/sippy cups is very different than how they suck on a nipple.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #18
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlemonkeys View Post
Well, I am married to my dentist and still nurse our 13mo all night and did the 3 kids before him. He has yet to say a thing, and if it was soooo evil I would think he would. He complains all the time about "bottle rot" babies, but says he has never seen a ebf baby with it.
Now thats what I call good dental coverage!