Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Registered Users
Traveling and pumping

I'm not sure how to handle this trip I'm about to take with my 11 week old DS. I usually pump every day or every other day and he takes a bottle about as often. On Saturday we're driving about 6 hours so I can go to a conference all day Sunday. My mom will be watching him at the conference center so I should be able to nurse him a couple of times but he'll probably need a few bottles over the course of the day if he's hungry when I can't get out, etc.

My question is what do I do about having milk for Sunday? I have lots of milk in the freezer or I could pump more for the fridge before we leave on Saturday. But if it's in a cooler a lot of the day on Saturday, will it still be ok on Sunday? (I can get it into a fridge overnight.) If so, would it be better to take frozen milk in the car so it'll defrost along the way and stay colder overall?

Any thoughts? Thanks, mamas!

Wife to my best friend in the world
Over the moon mama to sweet boy A (7/09) Funny little girl G (4/11)
& Baby girl C (11/13)
katiecornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Traveling and pumping

If you put it in the cooler with some ice packs it should be fine for up to 24 hr. I've had mine in a cooler all day and it was just fine. Then whatever was left I still put back into the fridge. If this helps, my donor milk is frozen and it takes around 30 hours to get here to me. So that entire time it's in a cooler with ice packs while it travels. By the time it gets here, some of it is thawing and they told me that was ok and it was safe to put it back in the freezer or simple to leave in the fridge. Hope this helps a little mama! Have a safe drive and fun trip!
Nikki-mama to 3 little miracles that complete me. 3 BOYS M-10/06 (my Invitro baby) J-3/09 (my LO that keeps me on my toes) and J-9/10 (my totally unexpected miracle that completed our family) Proud Air Force wife to M.

Last edited by blessedmama2; 10-02-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: man! i can't type today!
blessedmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote