Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone sell thier breast milk?

I don't know where you would sell it. I think milk banks take it only in the form of donation, I don't think they pay anything for it. There are places like Milk Share to donate mom to mom, but from someone who is on the receiving end, I highly doubt anyone would purchase breastmilk. It is kind of a taboo thing. The recipients will often try to reimburse a donor mom by providing her with pumping supplies and small gifts here and there, but monetary exchange doesn't happen. So, even if it isn't illegal in your area, I think it will be pretty hard to even find someone willing to buy it.

Advertisement

*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
blessedmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hmmm....I have a lot to say, and as I am typing I am shaking. I personally don't know if it's illegal everywhere, but it would makes sense if it is. It would be like selling your blood or eggs to make money. But unlike eggs, breastmilk is something some babies medically have to have, like mine. It kills me that I can't produce enough and he must have it for medical reasons. I personally, wouldn't buy from a private party for several reasons. I do know that my mama's that donate for us through the milk donor center, I have on a pedistool. They are our angels. We are a very low income family, my dh busts his butt 70 plus hours a week in the military and we struggle, but we still have to find ways to pay for ds milk. I hope whatever you decide to do it works out and I wish you the best mama.
Nikki-mama to 3 little miracles that complete me. 3 BOYS M-10/06 (my Invitro baby) J-3/09 (my LO that keeps me on my toes) and J-9/10 (my totally unexpected miracle that completed our family) Proud Air Force wife to M.

Last edited by blessedmama2; 10-02-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo
blessedmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
blessedmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not to try to convince you to doante, but if you do that would be amazing. I know the money factor may be nice, but you have an amazing priceless gift.
Nikki-mama to 3 little miracles that complete me. 3 BOYS M-10/06 (my Invitro baby) J-3/09 (my LO that keeps me on my toes) and J-9/10 (my totally unexpected miracle that completed our family) Proud Air Force wife to M.
blessedmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I understand that times are tough right now and everyone needs money, but I have to agree with the previous posts, your milk is something that could help save a babies life, ya know? If you were in desperate need of breastmilk and tight on money, imagine how overwhelming blessed you would be for someone to donate their milk to you, ya know?

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
PurpleRina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk View Post
Would people be willing to pay from a private seller? There are a lot of diseases that can be transferred through breast milk. It would be a huge risk for someone to give it to a baby with no testing. And than there are the issues of how its handled. Iím sure you are not sick or taking any medications that could harm a baby and would treat all milk properly but I just canít picture anyone taking the risk from a stranger.
You must not be familiar with the milk sharing community! Lots of moms (myself included) take the "risk" of using milk donated to us by other Mamas who are generous and willing to share this precious gift with us. There are many risks -- including disease and poor handling -- with formula as well, without any of the wonderful health benefits of breastmilk.

OP, I don't know how I feel about selling BM, but I do know that milk banks sell it, so I don't see why if a commercial business can profit from the needs of a child, an individual couldn't as well. Although welcome to the land of watching out for the interests of big business. Blood plasma donors are paid as well. I hope that you have a change of heart and will consider donating to a baby in need, but I also understand your desire to take care of your family during these tough economic times.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #16
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

the commercial businesses also process it and pasteurize it. They do it in hospitals as well.
I was a surrogate and pumped for my surrogate dd and I didnt ask for a fee, although I could've. I figured, I was making it and it was coming free to me, so I thought I'd pass it on while I had it.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
apmomof4
Banned

i think if formula can be sold, bm should be able to be sold too. i know a lot of moms who could definitely afford to buy it and with the financial incentive, there would be resources for testing, etc. etc.
i would rather buy bm than formula is my only point.
apmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #18
kelleysunshine
Registered Users

My Mood:

If I cant find a way to sell it, I would definitely consider donating it. While it would be nice to make some money, its not my first priority.

For instance, I am a Doula. I typically charge around $500 for my services which includes the entire pregnancy, birth and postpartum. I have been known to volunteer my services if I really 'click' with the mom and she canot afford it.

I also completely agree with the "If people can buy formula, why cant they buy breastmilk."
kelleysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #19
lavagirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here are some concrete reasons why the purchase of breastmilk (via private party) is considered a no-no, and not ethically sound.
I read an article (when I was reading about Milksharing) about a woman that decided to sell her breastmilk for money. She was hard up for money. When she realized that there were some people that were desperate to provide breastmilk for their little ones (one was an adoptive mom, another was a mom that had had previous breast cancer and a mastectomy), she realized she didn't have enough milk to sell as compared to the people that wanted to buy it. Thus, she decided to WATER IT DOWN and make more money. Her poor recipient babies began to fail to thrive, and suffer from various deficiencies. When they finally got to the bottom of it (the woman selling diluted breastmilk), this lady was prosecuted, and a few babies' health statuses were less than optimal. How AWFUL.

This is why the mainstream groups such as Milkshare forbid selling breastmilk. It poses a number of ethical issues, beginning with the situation that happened above. I'd encourage you to go to www.Milkshare.com and just read around on their website. Not only is there information about milksharing...but this very topic is raised and discussed. There is some great info.

While I understand what it is to suffer financial difficulty, you've been blessed with an overabundance of milk. Your little angel (I'm sure!) has benefited greatly from this! Just imagine how you could pay it forward and bless another little angel in need.

Generally, the people that have the capability of purchasing breastmilk do so through a milk bank. A milk bank takes milk, tests and pasteurizes it, and sells it to the tune of $11 per ounce. Pretty steep. Also, milk banks will generally only sell milk to babies that have a prescription for it (as in, a medical need that's notated by the baby's doctor). That sort of leaves out the people that still want to provide the best for their baby, but don't have the financial means or the official medical indication to do so!
For the rest of us little people who still believe in the importance of breastmilk, we can't afford to pay for breastmilk and we're up a creek. This is where Milksharing comes in!

This is the beauty of Milkshare. It's as selfless as giving blood. As long as I can remember, I've never been payed for giving blood...and I don't think I'd want to be! I figure I have blood, and I'm healthy. There will come a day when somebody will desperately need blood in order to survive...and it may be the difference of life and death for them. If I can "give back" a little bit, and I have the capability, then I'm happy to do it! This is the philosophy of Milkshare. Moms helping other babies, just because THEY CAN. These are women that believe in the importance of breastmilk and want to share it.

I remember the time I shared some extra milk with an adoptive mom. She was in the process of inducing lactation, and she desperately wanted to nurse her soon-to-be-born adoptive son. I gave her some milk to store ahead of time, and showed her how to use an SNS. She was SOOOO grateful, and that was payment enough!
I myself have to nurse with an SNS (previous breast reduction before marriage/kids). I myself rely on the beautiful, generous milk mamas that have sustained my healthy little boy. And I myself have ALWAYS responded to and shared with other local moms that cry out for help/milk....even though I'm constantly seeking milk for my baby. I figure if I have it, and somebody else needs it...why not share?

There are some things in life that are worth much, and for which we deserve payment (such as doula services...what a great field!). Breastmilk, however, and the knowledge that you are bettering/enriching a helpless baby's life......is PRICELESS.
lavagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #20
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I won't argue a point that others have argued. I will just say the I had originally thought about selling my milk, but as I became familiar with donation, I realized this was a much better route for me. It was worth my time pumping to meet these mommy's babies that I was blessed. Truly these moms do so much to help their lo's.. and for me that is reward enough. I can understand a desire to sell it esp with formula and that ppl pay for it..
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote