Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #21
Slychikadee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone sell thier breast milk?

Why not just fill your freezer? Eventually you will have less milk...

Advertisement

Slychikadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #22
lavagirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slychikadee View Post
Why not just fill your freezer? Eventually you will have less milk...
I'm not quite sure I understand your statement. Milk is based off of supply and demand. It's not as if the OP will just "run out of milk" or stop producing one day. As long as she continues to pump, she will produce milk in addition to what her LO needs. Even if she discontinues pumping, but still nurses her LO on demand, she will continue to make the perfect amount for her baby. For a regular, lactating mom (that feeds on demand), supply and "having less milk" is generally not a problem.
I think the OP is on the right track in that her milk could/should go to a little one that needs it. I can't tell you HOW MANY moms I know that say they had a couple hundred (or one mom had an entire deep freezer full of milk) ounces of milk that they let expire and threw away...just because they held unto it with the assumption that they might need it someday. In the meantime, there are little babies that would benefit greatly from that liquid gold! If every mom that had an overabundance of milk would consider sharing her milk, there would be no need for formula!
lavagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #23
adriannemae
Registered Users
seller

I offered bm on milk share for Ugggh FOREVER! never once was i contacted. i ended up throwing out so much bm because i also couldn't affored to have it shipped to the nearest bank. It was really sad to see a whole sink full of frozen milk just go down the drain

Really since milk share exists i doubt u'd be able to find someone to buy but i see no harm it trying. As long as your dr gives u a clean bill of health and a go ahead why not?
If your providing your time and enegry why should u not be paid if u want to be.

You might have better luck if you don't try selling for feeding babies but selling for those with fet is hes... Just a thought.

Use code "DSMAMA1" for 5% off your first order.

Last edited by adriannemae; 10-03-2009 at 09:39 PM.
adriannemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:49 AM   #24
Catalytic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myall4him2 View Post
I understand that times are tough right now and everyone needs money, but I have to agree with the previous posts, your milk is something that could help save a babies life, ya know? If you were in desperate need of breastmilk and tight on money, imagine how overwhelming blessed you would be for someone to donate their milk to you, ya know?
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but blood and blood products are also things that could save a life, but no one bats at eyelash if someone sells theirs (and yes, I'm aware it also can be donated) so I don't understand the comments regarding donating milk in this thread.
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #25
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

donate.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #26
PatsFan
Registered Users
seller

One thing to beware of with selling BM is that there are adults with ******es out there who purchase BM. I don't know how you feel about that, but ugh!! Another reason to donate!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #27
mama0609
Banned
seller

I personally dont understand why you would want to SELL your milk... Your milk is free to you, why not donate it?

As a mom who has been blessed with donor milk for her baby for 10 months, I can assure you that someone out there would be grateful for a donation.

Just my 2 cents....
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #28
kitzmarj
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree that donatation is a better route as I have donated, but I can see the smallest point about recieving reimbursement in addition to supplies because as a mom who pumps and bf's its just time consuming. I love the idea about helping babies who need bm to thrive, but at the same time, mom's who recieve milk have to understand how much time it takes for a mom to keep her supply while away from baby or whatever - its time consuming and draining....and can feel like a full time job somedays. Once again, the benefits of donation far out weigh the cons of donation
kitzmarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #29
mama0609
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzmarj View Post
I agree that donatation is a better route as I have donated, but I can see the smallest point about recieving reimbursement in addition to supplies because as a mom who pumps and bf's its just time consuming. I love the idea about helping babies who need bm to thrive, but at the same time, mom's who recieve milk have to understand how much time it takes for a mom to keep her supply while away from baby or whatever - its time consuming and draining....and can feel like a full time job somedays. Once again, the benefits of donation far out weigh the cons of donation

I sort of see your point... But at the same time, the donating mother has chosen to take the time to pump for someone else. She could choose to not pump and let her supply match the demand for her child instead.

Most of us who recieve milk know exactly what it's like to have to pump AND nurse AND care for children. I know I personally do. I nursed and also pumped every 2 hours and took care of a NB and a 3.5 yr old with diabetes.

For me, I disagree with selling your blood, even though it's legal. Selling something that is so crucial to some baby out there, whose parent may not be able to afford to buy BM (I know we could never afford to pay for what Bella eats) just seems wrong to me. If you've been blessed with an abundant supply, why not share that blessing with someone instead of using it to make money...?

mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #30
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleysunshine View Post
If I cant find a way to sell it, I would definitely consider donating it. While it would be nice to make some money, its not my first priority.

For instance, I am a Doula. I typically charge around $500 for my services which includes the entire pregnancy, birth and postpartum. I have been known to volunteer my services if I really 'click' with the mom and she canot afford it.

I also completely agree with the "If people can buy formula, why cant they buy breastmilk."
i benefited from milkshare with my second

sorry the bold rubbed me the wrong way.

milkbanks sell milk by the OUNCE!(at least in my area they do) $3-$7 an ounce. Ds#2 got .5oz at the hosp. when he was born, but we got charged $3 because they have to do it by ounce and what they don't use they have to pour out.

Nurtamigen (most pick off the shelf formula) is $25-$31 a can which is 14.2oz so price per oz (approx $1.76 - $2.18) so it is cheaper per oz to buy formula, but you miss out on all the natural goods of breast milk. Milkbanks "equivalent" to Nurtra. is in the $7 range.

Last edited by eragsdale; 11-10-2009 at 08:39 PM.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote