Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #61
mama0609
Banned
seller

Re: Does anyone sell thier breast milk?

In a heartbeat. If I had the ability to donate, I would. I would pump even if I didn't have to for myself. I had intentions of donating prior to having supply issues myself. In fact, that's why I asked for a pump... Not for my own use (i expected to BF with ease and only need the occasional pumped bottle) but to pump milk for others.

I see what you're saying... However I think that it's sick that we have to be motivated by money in order to share something as wonderful, precious and FREE as our breastmilk. What a sad society we live in that we can't just share something we're blessed with... No, we have to make money from it.

ETA: Reimbursement for something like milk sharing is watching that baby grow... feeling love for that child and mother pair, knowing that YOU have done something so wonderful as help feed a child. What do we get from donating to charities? We don't get paid for that, yet people do it... How is donating your breast milk ANY different?

Advertisement

Last edited by mama0609; 11-12-2009 at 08:32 PM.
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #62
Karrie Di
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I suppose I could agree with you IF the milk just appeared, expressed itself, bagged itself, froze itself, and transported itself to the receiving mom. However, it does take time and effort on the part of the mom who is donating. It isn't something that is just there---and it may even affect her negatively as she tries to feed her own child. Our bodies are meant to feed the child/children we have. Pumping messes with the balance---I know as I did it myself for nine months.

Why do any of us donate anything? Some cause is important to us so we feel it is worth our time and effort. Just because this issue is so important to you, does that mean it should be equally important to me or any other person out there?

Should I be judged for not viewing it as a responsibility to the children (as you seem to do)? Obviously, I think it should be a choice and that ALL mothers would benefit from having reimbursement available.

Do you disagree that giving reimbursement options to lactating mothers would INCREASE the supply of extra BM available?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #63
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slychikadee View Post
Why not just fill your freezer? Eventually you will have less milk...
keep in mind; as you baby gets older, your breast milk changes. Hence why it is SO important when you are selling/donating your milk or looking for a donor that you find someone that is at the most 3mon of your own child's age. For example; it is not good for a 7mon to be getting newborn milk; it won't contain the nec. calaries, fat,.... in it.

So if you stock piled a freezer full of 2mon milk and your supply goes to almost 0 around 7mon it won't be the same equivalent.

Last edited by eragsdale; 11-12-2009 at 10:44 PM.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #64
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with reimbursement more mamas would do it.. and in a perfect society that would be the case.. because no matter who you are we all agree that the mothers and all mothers deserve to be reimbursed for the fact that they work so hard!

For me I feel that I do what I can.. there was a time when I wanted to pump for 2 even three mamas.. and I just couldn't do it.. All of us sacrifice for our children and I feel the mothers I donated to have gone above and beyond just to get nutrition for their children. I am sure in a way they would like to give money but as others said I think it would really ruin it.. I am blessed in the giving. and really the work is two even three fold multiplied as you see HEALTHY children growing on breastmilk!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #65
kelleysunshine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
When the person wanting to make money is preying upon mothers and their heartbreak, then yes, I feel I have a right to judge that.
Who says Im "PREYING UNON HEARTBREAK"??? Why is it so wrong for me to ask for compensation for my time and milk???
kelleysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #66
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

let me just add I think I wasn't clear on my comment.. in the fact that we all work so hard to give our children the best..

I do believe that deserves to be compensated.. it is work to pump. it is time and energy and lots of other things taken from my day. I understand why someone would want to sell it.

However I do find it wrong to try to sell it. (for reasearch is something totally different) this is why when I heard about NMB shoddy practices I stopped donating to them..

OP you have the right to try to find ppl to pay for your milk, but think for a second about all of the mothers who have low supply etc who are working so hard (paying for shipping, meeting people, pumping to build their supply, finding enough milk to meet their growing lo's demands) to give it to them breastmilk .

I hope you are able to find what you are looking for whatever it is.

As for me, I am so grateful for the WONDERFUL mama's I've met through donating. They are so awesome.
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #67
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found this website through googling....lots of others selling not sure if anyone is buying.

http://www.bst.com/for-sale/breastmilk/
Old 11-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #68
EmmyAsMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not sure about selling, but if you decide to donate, I can get you info about where you can go. Several moms I know work with milk banks around here.
EmmyAsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #69
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

When you start asking for money, you lose all integrity. While I would pay for breastmilk over formula in a heartbeat, I wouldn't trust someone selling it to me. How do I know that what they are selling is human milk? Not watered down? Too many people out there looking to make a buck regardless of the risk to others. When you give blood you don't ask for money, when you donate organs you don't ask for money, so why breastmilk? Because you have it and someone else needs it? God gave you a gift, make good with it.

"It is good to be a seeker but sooner or later you have to be a finder - and then it is well to give what you have found, a gift unto the world, for whoever will accept it." - Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #70
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I would never pay unless from a milk bank where I know it was tested and not watered doewn
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote