Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #71
EmmyAsMom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone sell thier breast milk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrie Di View Post
Am I "preying upon mothers and their heartbreak" by selling clothes I don't need to mamas who DO need them? For all I know there is a mama who was hit hard by 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina eyeing my girly clothes right now. If she buys them, am I profiting off her? Well, yes. In general, we leave the personal stuff out of transactions here. Why should selling BM be any different?
I am not trying to judge the OP, but IMHO it isn't the same at all. You purchased the clothes to begin with and are trying to recoup some of your loss (probably to purchase more). I was hit hard by Hurricane Rita, but I am grateful to moms selling outgrown clothes because I need a cheaper alternative to new. Now if the clothes were given to you, and you are selling them, that's a little different.

I see nothing wrong with compensating someone for a pump or gas to get there or shipping, and I doubt anyone else does. It's the profit part that I believe is bothering people.

FWIW, I feel the same way about blood and organs and even eggs. Again, though, not trying to judge...to each his (or her) own.

Advertisement

EmmyAsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #72
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't see the big deal about getting reimbursed for the work of pumping, but I think if it became a 'normal' thing to get paid for it, people would abuse it. What I mean is some moms would feed their kids cheap formula and sell their milk, or sell regardless of health issues, drug use, smoking, drinking, etc. The quality of milk from donors is higher because they're only doing it because they care, not for financial benefit.

When we brought Maddie home at 8 months old, I had GALLONS of frozen milk stored that took me a year to pump. I could only pump 18oz/day at the height of my supply. Yet she was drinking 30oz/day!! Obviously, the supply went fast. We had to start on regular milk a little earlier than I wanted, then discovered she was allergic! I had lost my supply by then, and was devastated. Luckily, I had an awesome friend who donated (someone I met on here, actually). I paid for shipping, and sent her my $400 hospital-grade dual electric breast pump. After a month or two, I got Maddie onto goat's milk and let my friend keep the pump as a thanks. She was still pumping for another adopted baby. It was kinda my way of paying it forward and helping another baby. Anyway, I'm grateful for the women who generously donate and while I don't see the big deal with selling it, I don't think that will lead down a good road.

Last edited by VinhThiMom; 11-14-2009 at 04:39 PM.
VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #73
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NAK
I personally don't have an opinion. I think looking into selling breastmilk is a valid question someone may have. People donate eggs right? I'd pay for breastmilk if I had to and it was comparable to the cost of formula.

I understand why people would take offense to it, but I think this above is a bit out of line.

Last edited by ~happy2Bamommy~; 11-14-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: removed quote
sbolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #74
proudsahmof4
Registered Users
Formerly: proudsahmof3
seller

My Mood:

If I had to sell my breast milk to feed my older children, I would. I would do it before I would let my family become homeless, before I would sell my body for sex, before I would take a minimum wage job that barely paid for child care and never allowed me to see my children awake. If someone is selling their breast milk for financial reimbursement, I feel that is between the seller and the buyer (whom hopefully is educated about the risks/benefits of purchasing breast milk from another woman). None of us know the financial situation the OP is in and need to consider what we may do to provide for our own families in the worst of circumstances.

She posted a fair question which was answered in response posts with the most judgement and righteousness I have seen on this site in a long while.

Donating breast milk is a selfless, kindly thing to do, and all those that choose that route are heroic. Those that do not choose that route may be no less heroic, selfless, or kindly in some other aspect of their lives. If I chose to sell my breast milk, would that make my donation to the local food bank less worthy?

To the OP:
There was something in my hometown recently about a mama that posted an ad in the paper about selling her leftover frozen breast milk. Everyone was up in arms about it because they were convinced it was illegal (turns out it is legal in my state). It became a bit of a discussion in my breastfeeding support group, the LC's were concerned about the repercussions arising from the selling of breast milk and thought that it was generally a bad idea. I would so some research in your state and see what the legal ramifications might be.

BTW, given the responses to this thread, I wouldn't try selling it here on DS. There's probably going to be a sticky now.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #75
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, let's all keep in mind that when you buy milk from a milk bank, you aren't paying for the actual milk itself, you are paying for the processing, testing, etc. Moms who donate the milk do just that - DONATE it. The bank charges for the processing and testing, which is something that a milk recipient can choose to do at their own cost when dealing privately. Bottom line is, the milk itself is DONATED.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #76
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I don't see the harm in asking for a little $ for the time and effort involved. But I think the cost should be directly related to the amount of work involved and not something that is a huge profit margin.
Unless maybe you were helping a specific family and the child had allergies so you had to eat different or buy special foods.. ie.. gluten free which is costly.
Guess I find it similar to being a wet nurse and they get paid as far as I recall.
Personally I would donate and not charge for it but that is my style... I also give almost all my kids old toys, clothes, my house items, etc. to good will or childrens home here locally instead of selling it. For the first time I just put my maternity clothes up for sale but only cause the $ would help for xmas and I had tons of it.

Last edited by Bee Green Naturals; 11-14-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Bee Green Naturals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #77
JadedRose
Banned

Please keep in mind that donated milk is not free. Moms like me send milk bags, shipping supplies and pay the shipping for overnight. 4 months worth of breastmilk for my son ran us close to $600 just for overnight shipping, supplies, and the dry ice. And I sent bags back to the moms for every bag they sent me.
JadedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #78
jeddings
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that selling BM is a personal choice. Just because one chooses to sell BM doesn't mean that others will stop donating it. I do agree that if there is an incentive, that more women would consider pumping for others.

You could compare selling breast milk to a surrogancy. I am considering becoming a surrogate and I believe that I should be entitlled to some compensation. Yes it doesn't cost me anything financially to carry a baby for someone but it's still alot of work on my part.

Now I don't think I would buy bm from someone because with the financial gain I wouldn't feel confident that it wouldn't be watered down. If I received donated milk then I know that the donor has no gain to not give 100% BM. Not saying that there aren't people that wouldn't buy BM. I'm sure there are. I'm just saying I think there is more risk involved.

Me personally i would not sell BM. I would and have donated BM for this reason, I thank god that I am able to BF my children. I would be devasted to be in the position where I could not 100% bf my children. If I were in the position where I could not BF then I would be grateful to a donor. But that's just me. I would not look down on someone for selling BM and I don't think it's wrong though because it does take work to pump. And IMO if a mom can not BF she would have to purchase formula. So instead of putting money towards formula she can use it towards BM. So the financial demand would acturally be the same unless the women selling it sold it for more then the cost of formula.

For instance, when I donated my milk to another mom she acturally saved money every time she fed her baby a bottle of my donated milk.

So what I'm trying to say is selling BM is not something I would sell or buy but I don't think there is anything wrong with someone that did.

OP I have no idea where you could sell BM. The only thing I can think of is if you happen to meet someone in need of BM. But as far as advertising, if you wanted to advertise publicly there may be some laws about it considering it's something that can carry diseases. It would be great if you could find someone with cancer maybe. I've thought maybe BM would be great for people with cancer.

Last edited by jeddings; 11-16-2009 at 12:31 AM.
jeddings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #79
jeddings
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudsahmof3 View Post
If I had to sell my breast milk to feed my older children, I would. I would do it before I would let my family become homeless, before I would sell my body for sex, before I would take a minimum wage job that barely paid for child care and never allowed me to see my children awake. If someone is selling their breast milk for financial reimbursement, I feel that is between the seller and the buyer (whom hopefully is educated about the risks/benefits of purchasing breast milk from another woman). None of us know the financial situation the OP is in and need to consider what we may do to provide for our own families in the worst of circumstances.

She posted a fair question which was answered in response posts with the most judgement and righteousness I have seen on this site in a long while.

Donating breast milk is a selfless, kindly thing to do, and all those that choose that route are heroic. Those that do not choose that route may be no less heroic, selfless, or kindly in some other aspect of their lives. If I chose to sell my breast milk, would that make my donation to the local food bank less worthy?

To the OP:
There was something in my hometown recently about a mama that posted an ad in the paper about selling her leftover frozen breast milk. Everyone was up in arms about it because they were convinced it was illegal (turns out it is legal in my state). It became a bit of a discussion in my breastfeeding support group, the LC's were concerned about the repercussions arising from the selling of breast milk and thought that it was generally a bad idea. I would so some research in your state and see what the legal ramifications might be.

BTW, given the responses to this thread, I wouldn't try selling it here on DS. There's probably going to be a sticky now.
You couldn't have said it better! By the way I love the sticky part.
jeddings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:55 AM   #80
bluedove
Registered Users

I don't agree with the moral judgment being handed down by some about this. I find it perfectly reasonable to ask to be compensated for ones time and effort. Donors choose to make a sacrifice for the benefit of another... and just because that act is wonderful doesn't make the opposite true of someone who would ask for payment.

That said, I do see that the potential for abuse of this situation is so great that I the selling of breastmilk should be discouraged. Otherwise it would have to be regulated and would infringe on those wonderful people who do manage to donate safe milk.
Chloe ~ May 2009
bluedove is offline   Reply With Quote