Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #51
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Isn't a Dc required on DS? So to not get one, would be against rules? Maybe that's been covered already in this thread? Idk.

For me- going to the post office is a nightmare. And a LONG wait. It's not worth it to me to ship anything, if I have to wait in a line with two kids for 45 minutes to an hour. Which is the timeline in my post office. It's horrid. No one under 55 works there and no one rushes to do anything. It's just slow and inefficient. I always think, damn. How the USPS could really make a come back if it hired some young blood. People with pep in their step that actually push buttons with a purpose. It's the only place that has more old people than a nursing home. Lol. Now, I know that sounds mean but really? If every cashier at Walmart was as slow as molassass, you would go to another store. Sadly that's not really an option with mail and Canada. Everyone says different things. Go to ups- don't go to ups. Yadadada. All that confusion for a diaper cover? Nope. :/ but then again, I only wait at the post office for deployment care packages. That I am willing to stand hours for. And I usually leave my kids with a sitter cause it takes that long! Long

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #52
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Discriminatory shipping for Canadians?

I'm sorry, but it is NOT the same price to ship to Canada as it is to ship within the US.

For a 13 ounce package (roughly 2 diapers) it will cost $3.65 within the US (actually $3.28 including delivery confirmation if I print the label through Paypal).
To ship to Canada, it will cost $5.75 and there is no proof of tracking, which leaves the seller wide open for non-delivery claims.

I'm happy to ship worldwide, but I do charge more because it costs more. I also require insurance (which is $1.85 per $100 through U-Pic insurance).

Another example for 6 ounce packages:

Last edited by MotherMoonPads; 11-11-2012 at 03:03 PM.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #53
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgburst View Post
LOL I was about to suggest that- somebody in the cloth_diapering comm did the exact same thing!

Well, I'm glad I started this thread- I had this long discussion with somebody over why I thought it was unfair to charge me postage plus cost for a 15oz item when it was cost ppd within the States. (FYI It costs $4.80 domestically for Priority because it's too heavy to go First Class. To Canada? $4.81 by First Class Int'l. Seriously. One penny difference.)

And I understand the beef about DC, but TBH, I don't think most people put it on. It's not like we live in countries where customs officials are corrupt as a rule. And if the mail goes undelivered, it will be returned to sender. And I know everybody worries about getting good feedback so they don't get banned. So to me the risk is relatively small- although I can definitely see how it would be important for pricey purchases like a bunch of NIP GMs.
I have never been asked to ship to Canada but I would charge whatever extra dc on any package would cost because most of the time I have already spent the funds before the package reaches its destination. I can't afford to run into that one in a million dishonest person and not have the money to cover it.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #54
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ladies, this is a really old thread. Shipping prices have changed a lot since 2009

And just so all you US mamas know, we ALWAYS have to go to the PO to mail stuff. Home pick up isn't even an option in Canada.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #55
Saharan
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew Crafty Baby View Post
Nice that you posted this..hopefully more sellers will see it.
I've shipped to Canada for 5+ years now between 2 businesses and the pricing is not much different (talking cents up to 2-3 dollars) until you hit the 3 lb. mark. And once you hit 4 pounds it goes up quite a bit because you are forced to ship priority mail.

But I do understand people wanting to charge more because they insist on using priority only. That's the only way to insure the package and some are very leery about scammers and not being able to have some sort of protection. kwim? But they need to ship it priority mail if they are going to charge enormous amounts.
THIS is one of the many reasons I love your store
I have bought and sold many times on here and I just go with people who will ship without a DC. I have only been scammed once and luckily PP and my CC covered it. I do think it is a bit unfair but I can also understand the fear of the seller being scammed by someone saying the package did not arrive. I have never had a pachage go missing except for one diaper I bought from another Canadian mama but I think she may have scammed me

Last edited by Saharan; 11-26-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Saharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #56
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgburst View Post
Ok, that makes sense for HTF items or huge purchases.
Yes I am pretty sure its the DC costs or sometimes people unfamiliar with international shipping.

But sometimes shipping is gnarly, I paid 45 shipping on flip organic inserts (the price was correct FYI) and it was still cheaper then buying used in europe I love them but I was sure sad to throw that much away on shipping.

Now if I put on my mod panties for a moment. At DS we do not require DC on international shipping sellers can provide just the customs number. That said it is a risk to the seller as you have n o proof of delivery for paypal in the event a buyer makes a claim.

Mod panties off, as an international mom I buy and sell without DC on an individual basis. Do I know the buyer/seller well, feedback, and of course item value. I also will not buy from sellers who only ship priority because that makes the purchases no longer worthwile for me.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #57
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I know this is an old thread, but since its been revived I am going to add in my two cents and something I have recently learned.

I got this straight from Paypal customer service - I lost over an hour of my life on the phone with them to clarify this. You can pay $1.30 extra at the PO for something called "Certificate of Mailing". It's just a little form they stamp and proves you mailed a package to whatever address on whatever date. According to the guy I spoke with, this will protect a US seller in the instance of a "item not received" claim from an International buy on First Class International mail.

I do ship to Canada, but I admit I am a bit leery of it, even after all these years. I put in my listings that I must "know" you. So, I'm not selling to Canadians that aren't active on non-FSOT forums here. I want them to be invested in the forums and familiar to me, otherwise I'm not taking the risk of a bogus Paypal claim.

If I am selling something for $10ppd, I know it will cost me $2.50 (round number example) to ship to the US first class. So if someone Canadian wants to buy, I subtract $2.50, add exact postage and add $1.30 for certificate of mailing. I do take a picture at the PO counter to message to the buyer.

Selling to Canada is a lot more work that to the States. I love my Canadian mama friends and I am happy to make a special trip across town to the PO, but honestly, it is a lot more involved. Maybe the PO isn't such a hassle in Canada?

Can y'all track packages within Canada like we can within the States?
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #58
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
I know this is an old thread, but since its been revived I am going to add in my two cents and something I have recently learned.

I got this straight from Paypal customer service - I lost over an hour of my life on the phone with them to clarify this. You can pay $1.30 extra at the PO for something called "Certificate of Mailing". It's just a little form they stamp and proves you mailed a package to whatever address on whatever date. According to the guy I spoke with, this will protect a US seller in the instance of a "item not received" claim from an International buy on First Class International mail.

I do ship to Canada, but I admit I am a bit leery of it, even after all these years. I put in my listings that I must "know" you. So, I'm not selling to Canadians that aren't active on non-FSOT forums here. I want them to be invested in the forums and familiar to me, otherwise I'm not taking the risk of a bogus Paypal claim.

If I am selling something for $10ppd, I know it will cost me $2.50 (round number example) to ship to the US first class. So if someone Canadian wants to buy, I subtract $2.50, add exact postage and add $1.30 for certificate of mailing. I do take a picture at the PO counter to message to the buyer.

Selling to Canada is a lot more work that to the States. I love my Canadian mama friends and I am happy to make a special trip across town to the PO, but honestly, it is a lot more involved. Maybe the PO isn't such a hassle in Canada?

Yes we can track within Canada, and in Canada, there is no such thing as home pick up. If we need to put something in the mail we have to go to the PO every.single.time. so if we're shipping a parcel, doesn't matter where it's going, we have to go the PO anyway. So other than I have to fill out a customs form, it's really no different shipping to the US compared to shipping it domestically.

We also pay through the NOSE for shipping. Shipping one grovia shell to the US cost me over $5. Shipping a similar item within Canada was actually MORE expensive, not less. Now we don't have to worry as much about the tracking issue, because that hideous price does include up to $100 in insurance, so if something went wrong I could just refund the mama, and put in an insurance claim with Canada Post.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #59
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

This exactly as an international buyer I expect to pay the difference. Though I have had a few moms try to charge me full international shipping on top of the ppd us price, that is no go.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #60
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by togg_mama

Exactly. If it gets "lost" the mama sending it is at the mercy of the receiver. Sorry, but I don't have that kind of money laying around.
Without dc the item is still traceable by the customs number once it reaches the Canadian border.

You can't track it via automated phone or website but if you call canada post they can locate it.

Last edited by mommy24babes; 11-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote