Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
xxxladyfinger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Increased Nursing

My DS will be 7months on Oct 5. I went back to work on Monday Sept 28th. I am away from DS from about 9:00 until 1:45 so 5 hrs. I decided not to pump while I am at work. Up until I went to work we always nursed on demand with two meals a day. A breakfast and dinner. Since I went back to work we continued to nurse when I am home on demand and give him the two meals. It seems though that he nurses almost non stop for what seems like hours. For example tonight I gave him some dinner which was a half ice cube size veggie, two baby spoons of fruit and two of starch about 6:00. He didn't want to eat much. He then nursed from 6:30 to 7:00 slept about 1/2 hr nursed again for 10mins. Slept 10-15mins nursed again for about 10 mins and this pattern continued until about 10:30. He's sleeping now. He has also increased night nursing. I was wondering is this increase nursing because of supply issues or is it a need for mommy or combo of both? The reason I decided against pumping because normally a baby his age should only nurse every 3-4 hrs. So I didn't think not pumping/nursing for 5 hrs would really hurt. I don't feel engourged full but not engourged. I also make sure I feel "empty" when I leave. I work 5 days a week.

Advertisement

Last edited by xxxladyfinger; 10-02-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: miss spelling
xxxladyfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
xxxladyfinger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Increased Nursing

He's nursing again and its 11:15.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

growth spurt maybe?
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
lavagirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quite frankly, the whole idea that a breastfed baby will only eat every 3-4 hours at 7 months of age is a myth! This assumption is based off of the majority of babies which are formula-fed...and statistically ONLY 11% of babies are still breastfed at 6 months of age. Thus...this feeding assumption pretty much applies to formula-fed babies, as the majority of babies are formula fed by the time they are your son's age. Formula is MUCH harder to digest, and will sit in a baby's gut for quite some time. Also...if your baby is going through a growth spurt, and you are consistently going 5 hours a day without any stimulation to your breasts, there is a possibility that your body will have no way of knowing it should keep up with baby's growing demands at the rate that he needs. Honestly, I'd take 5-10 minutes and just pump a little at least. I'm sure your employer would understand?

It sounds like your decision to forego a 10 minute pumping session at work may cost you on the other end of things....baby may stay up later/eat more when you're around, just in an attempt keep your supply up to its previous level. Going 5 hours without pumping, 5 days a week, may very well affect your milk supply, and cause baby to work all the harder to increase your supply. Any LC or LLL-leader would tell you to mimic baby's feeding schedule. This means you would pump about 3 hours into your workday. This way, your supply will NOT be affected, there will be a little milk in your fridge/freezer (childcare provider can mix with baby food while your gone, or offer in a sippy cup if baby won't take a bottle). It would be a win-win
situation.
I've breastfed 2 kids, and I always saw a major drop in my supply when I failed to pump at work (as well as fussier kids that wanted to hang off the boob 24-7). Good luck mama!
lavagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
kelleysunshine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Since youre not pumping the hours youre at work- what does your LO take at the daycare? Is he getting a formula bottle or just going without for these 5 hours?

IMO, deciding NOT to pump while at work is a poor decision. If you really want to continue breastfeeding without any major problems, you shoudl pump while at work. Like Lavagirl said, you need to mimic your child's feeding schedule. And most babies do not go 5 huors without any boob time, especially during the day. Maybe if price of pump is a factor get a used one or get a manual pump. I have an Avent Isis manual pump and imo, it works fine at getting my milk out. I can get it out just as quickly as my friend who has an electric pump can, ( of course, if she double pumps she is faster...)
kelleysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
jbatic
Registered Users
seller

His reaction is normal he is making up his missed session at night.

What I did for the longest was set up my pump and pump while driving to and from work. It was a pain but it helped with one bottle and then I would pump during my lunch.

When I worked a similar shift to you I would use a hand pump and extreme power pump for 5-10 mins (I was a waitress with my son) and get enough for a bottle for him.

Good luck.

Treetop Baby http://www.treetopbaby.com
jbatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
Slychikadee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I disagree about pumping. After 4 months I could not pump any milk. I tried and tried and would pump for 20 mins to only get a 1/2 oz. So I gave up. I did not work, but had plenty of times where I went out for 3-4 hours. my supply was not affected and I am still nursing now at 18 months! Your body will adjust and so will your baby. However, the part I wonder about is what is your baby drinking for the 5 hours? Nursing more seems like he is hungry, since bm is not the same as food... it is "the food" at that age. He needs a certain amount of milk and if he does not get it, he will try and make up for it later. So pumping may actually be helpful to you. Growth spurt is possible too, especially if it tapers off after a week or so.
Slychikadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
lavagirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slychikadee View Post
I disagree about pumping. After 4 months I could not pump any milk. I tried and tried and would pump for 20 mins to only get a 1/2 oz. So I gave up. I did not work, but had plenty of times where I went out for 3-4 hours. my supply was not affected and I am still nursing now at 18 months! Your body will adjust and so will your baby. However, the part I wonder about is what is your baby drinking for the 5 hours? Nursing more seems like he is hungry, since bm is not the same as food... it is "the food" at that age. He needs a certain amount of milk and if he does not get it, he will try and make up for it later. So pumping may actually be helpful to you. Growth spurt is possible too, especially if it tapers off after a week or so.
Some people do not respond well to a pump. Others do. Also...a baby that nurses on demand and occasionally decides to go 3-4 hours without nursing is quite a different matter than a definite 5-hour chunk of time without nursing, every day.
OP, if you respond to a pump, I'd give it a go! Also...hand expression mimics a baby nursing MUCH better than a pump. It's super easy, quick, and doesn't require mechanical parts! Just a hand and a receptacle to pump into. In an effort to avoid nursing all night (a drag, especially considering that you're working in morning/day!), I'd pump (or hand express) at work, and then leave milk for your daycare provider to give to the baby in your absence. This way, he stays hydrated and gets enough calories into him during daylight hours (thus more sleep at night), your milk supply stays up, and everybody gets more sleep!
lavagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
xxxladyfinger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks my DH gives him frozen milk from my stock or milk I pump before I leave. I was with him all day saturday and he did not nurse quite as much. I think I will pump at work. I want to keep nursing.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

It sounds like your LO is reverse cycling, which can be good if you're okay with it. Does he nurse right after you get home?