Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Ideas for a 2 year old's birthday in November

my DD is turning 2 in six weeks! I need some birthday party ideas... all my good ideas only work with nice warm weather.. arrgh!
(like our friend's 2 year old had a bouncy castle... but we can't do that!)

The "normal" temperature around her birthday range around 0 celcius (32 degrees Farenheit) so a lot of outside activities are OUT. Last year for her 1st birthday, we just used the rec room of my aunt's condo and ordered pizza and had cake. We had 2 parties (one with friends and their kids, one with ALL the family.. mine and DH's together).... pretty well back to back. We had the friends party, had a couple hours break so DD could have a nap, then had the family party. this year I'm not sure what we'll end up doing. I think having both families together will be a bit much this year.

Tell me your best advice for a 2 year old's birthday party... length of the party, how many guests, etc.

Advertisement

Last edited by katesmash; 09-30-2009 at 02:07 PM.
katesmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ideas for a 2 year old's birthday in November

Every year we plan stuff for birthday parties and every year the kids end up playing outside or in the bedrooms and what we have planned goes out the window. I wouldn't worry about planning anything for that age, honestly. I would probably only invite family and close friends, plan on maybe 2 hours, and have things they can do. Somewhat it depends on the ages of the children. We don't do parties at that age, just cake and presents.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Old 10-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm cheap, but we invite like maybe 6-8 little friends & head off to the local play place with food(Micky D's, Runza, Burger King, etc). We buy everyone dinner and the kids play free. Parents shoot the breeze and we order ice creme after. I don't have to clean up & everyone has a good time. We have Nov & Dec birthday boys.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i would do something with fall/winter in mind.
Around 2 hours.
Do a craft for the kids; like have all the prep work done before hand and have them make those Cinnamon scented ornaments. (2 yr olds LOVE crafts)

TimeLine:
2-2:30ish-Craft/Free Time
2:30-3ish-Cake/Food
3-3:30ish-Presents
3:30-4ish-Collect Craft and allow kids to explore gifts and wind down

I did this around this age and my parents still have the ornament and you can STILL smell some of the cinnamon!

Here is the recipe (have different cookie cutters out for them to choose from and the more variety the better):

Scented Cinnamon Ornaments
1 cup cinnamon
1 Tbsp. cloves
1 Tbsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp. white glue
ribbon

In a bowl, mix the spices. Add applesauce and glue, stirring until well blended. Work mixture until dough is smooth and ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Divide into 4 portions and roll each portion on floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut dough with cookie cutters of desired shapes. Using a straw or toothpick, make a small hole in the top of each ornament. Place on wire racks and allow to dry at room temperature for several days. (For more uniform drying, turn ornaments over once each day.) Thread ribbon through holes to form garland. You can also glue to a wooden hoop, forming a wreath and decorate with ribbon as desired. Makes approximately 32 two-inch ornaments. DO NOT EAT!

Last edited by eragsdale; 10-05-2009 at 02:33 PM.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote