Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:08 AM   #1
Registered Users
Trouble letting down for pump...

Hey mamas!

This is not a supply issue... I'm pretty sure I make plenty of milk as my LO has been consistently gaining 6-7oz per week. (She's 20 weeks now) She's healthy and doing well.

But I'd like to build up a back-up supply as well as maybe be a donor for milkshare... But I have trouble getting even 2oz when I pump!

I have a good pump... it's a Purely Yours double electric pump. Without it I doubt I'd even be able to get an ounce! But I need some advice on how to get more milk pumped!

I seem to get more if my breasts feel full, like I've built up pressure. I start to pump on low and slowly turn it up as the milk starts to flow. I let down about an ounce easily and then the flow stops. If I turn the pump up higher, I will get some more, but it's a trickle... and it hurts.

I've thought about upping my fluid intake before pumping time... but I pump at night, so too much extra fluid will wake me up and send me to the potty in the middle of night. So how much water should I drink, and how long before pumping should I finish?

Any ideas?

~Jamie~ future wife of Tim
CD'ing, BF'ing, co-sleeping, homeschooling, non-vaxing, SAHM to
Eli ~ May 2001 and
Chloe ~ May 2009
bluedove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Trouble letting down for pump...

Have you tried pumping in the morning instead? Supply is typically lowest at night. It doesn't sound like you're having a letdown problem, just a night supply issue. I'm sure it's sufficient for your LO, just doesn't produce enough extra for pumping. You could try common supply building techniques but I don't think there's anything you can do for just night pumping. Are you massaging or gently squeezing the breast while pumping? If I just let my pump work alone I get about half the amount that I do if I massage and squeeze.
Allyssa wife to G since August 2003
Mommy to boys: M*March 2006 and C*May 2009
FT WOHM-Paramedic
MomE2MathU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

My LC told me to start the pump high and after letdown turn it down to about a four, see if that would help. Babies start out fast then slow down after the letdown flood slows.
I monogram: Burp cloths, paci clips, etc [url]
Mommy to Lily and Miles
Goinatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I've been trying to build a supply after not pumping for a while and my lil one is 4 1/2 months old. I've found that after my first let down slows, if I turn the pump off for two minutes, then back on for two, then off again I usually get another full let down. This was a tip from a LC I used with my first baby and it works well for me. HTH!
Momof2cuties is offline   Reply With Quote