Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

How long will elastic last in storage?

I can't decide if I should keep my small Fuzzi Bunz for my next child. I don't even know when we're having another baby, but it'll probably be in about a year and a half. My small FB's have been in storage since June. Will the elastic even last until I have another baby? Should I sell off or keep? Money's always tight around here, so it would be so nice not to have that expense when having another baby, but if the elastic is shot, I'll just cry...what to do, what to do. Why am I so indecisive?!

I have to admit that I'd really like to have all bumGenius AIO's for a new baby, so that's another factor to consider...

Advertisement

Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
babiesabove
Registered Users
seller

Re: How long will elastic last in storage?

This is the million dollar CD question. I have decided it's not worth the risk for ordinary dipes. I'm keeping my very special ones in space bags. Hoping if they aren't exposed to air they'll be okay, but if it's something like fb that is easily replaced I sell off to size up.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
june weaver
Registered Users

i'm in same situation. waiting to hear what others have to say.
june weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Hitchkids
Registered Users

For me the answer seems to be that it varies with the brand. So I would say it would depend on the type of elastic used. Our newborn diapers have been packed up and put away several times and never show any signs of elastic wearing out. They are mostly ME diapers. In our last move, the elastic on pretty much all of our Little Lambs was fine when they were packed in the box, but shot when I unpacked them. Very odd. It also depends on where they are stored. Elastic does not do well if not kept in a regulated environment so if you store things in your attic where it gets super hot, it's more likely to go. And you might want to consider how easily you can replace or repair the elastic yourself. On most pocket diapers, it's super easy to just replace the elastic yourself if it starts to go but on serged diapers it can be more hassle than it's worth.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
kkbtoys
Registered Users
seller

If you really want to keep them, what about washing them once a month or so, just to keep the elastic "fresh"?
kkbtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbtoys View Post
If you really want to keep them, what about washing them once a month or so, just to keep the elastic "fresh"?
Wow, would that work? I'd totally do that.

I'm kind of leaning toward selling except for a few. Anyone remember/buy any of the limited production (I think) fb's with the thicker, colored fleece? Well, I guess it didn't pass whatever tests they like diapers to pass but I loved them and bought several off of ebay. I'll keep those for sure. Also my covers and, of course, prefolds.
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote