Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
C-MaeMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you have a late talker or did you?

Just saw a previous post mentioning slow talker, so I am curious. My dd is 21 mos. and says 20 or so words, but only a few consistantly. She communicates great in other ways. So anyone else with late talkers? If so when did they start talking consitantly? At her 18 mos check up I was asked about her talking and she had 10 words and I was told that was just fine.

Advertisement

Last edited by C-MaeMama; 10-06-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling
C-MaeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
TofuScramble
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma

My Mood:
Re: Do you have a late talker or did you?

My middle DD only had a handful of words at 3 years old! She started speech therapy- she's 6 years old now and has had speech therapy off and on over the last few years and she's pretty caught up now. She's a smart girl too!

I wouldn't worry too much- you can talk to your doc about speech therapy- but the doc will probably say to just wait it out a bit longer.
TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

My second baby was a late talker. Similar to your daughter in words and expression/communication. Right around his second birthday (maybe a couple of weeks before), all of a sudden he talked non-stop, whole sentences and everything. There wasn't a build-up or anything, it was all in one burst!

It was a HUGE contrast from his big brother, who talked EARLY and very clearly. I'm pretty laid back, which is good because otherwise I would have been really worried!

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

I was a late talker. Really I was just stingy with information, I didn't want to talk but was fully capable. DH was also a late talker and had a stutter on top of it. DS is following in our footsteps He's 27m and just in the last couple of weeks his vocabulary has more than doubled finally bringing him into the 'normal' range (though I suspect he already knew those words -and more- he just wasn't using them.)

If your LO is communicating in other ways I wouldn't worry to much about it
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Sakari
Registered Users

I would consider DSD a "late talker" but she communicates fine and is very smart ( especially when she applies herself!) Some people can't always understand her still and she's 3.5... I'm not worried.

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
agapelove
Registered Users

My Mood:

my DD is 21 months and is in the same situation. She only says a few words consistently, but she mimicks my actions and communicates to me in other ways VERY well. She talks jibberish almost non-stop all day, but when i talk to her normally and tell her to do things or go get things, she can do them, so i know she understands. My brother and other family members have really been making me feel bad that she is not talking better yet, so I am really glad you posted this.
agapelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Shaunam
Registered Users

DS mostly signed until he was 2 1/2. Then he just took off talking and dropped signing altogether. I think he had about 10 real words at 18 months. He's 4 1/2 now and quite the chatterbox. His speech is a bit quirky sometimes (odd cadences and pronunciation) but he's completely understandable.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #8
Slychikadee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my son was 12 months he would say mama, dada, dog, yum-yum and then it all dropped off. He is 18 months now and does not use any words. I feel like he may have put talking aside to learn running, climbing and other physical things. We have his 18 mo appt next week so we will see what the ped says.
Slychikadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
C-MaeMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agapelove View Post
my DD is 21 months and is in the same situation. She only says a few words consistently, but she mimicks my actions and communicates to me in other ways VERY well. She talks jibberish almost non-stop all day, but when i talk to her normally and tell her to do things or go get things, she can do them, so i know she understands. My brother and other family members have really been making me feel bad that she is not talking better yet, so I am really glad you posted this.
My mil every other day I talk to her is asking what new words dd has and I keep saying the same ones as before! It gets really annoying.

I suppose when these kiddos all talk we will wonder why we wanted them to anyways?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-MaeMama View Post

I suppose when these kiddos all talk we will wonder why we wanted them to anyways?

Bingo!

My kids have all done things very differently. DD was an average talker, and is fine now at 6. DS1 was an early talker and really never stops talking now. He is very good at expressing himself verbally. DS2 is what I would call a late talker. He is 18 mos, uses some signs, and has a handful of words, but just uses a lot of gestures and grunting to show us what he would like. I really think he is just one of those kids who waits until he is sure of something, though, because he didn't sign for eons, and then one day he signed like he had been doing it for months. He didn't crawl or walk on "schedule" either, and then took off when he did. I am not a stresser; they will do it in their time.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote