Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
nursing and surgery???

After Jeremy was born I was supposed to get a hernia repaired and was nursing so I waited, and then got prego again right away so I'm wondering if any mamas have gone ahead with a surgery like this while nursing and been okay with everything? I know I would be able to pump in the hospital, and dh can bring the baby in, but it's hurting a lot more with this pregnancy than the last and so I really want it taken care of ASAP!

Advertisement

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: nursing and surgery???

I nursed DS w/in an hour of being put under for surgery. It was ok & the docs & LC said it was all good
Old 12-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope you figure this out. I'd think they would be more concerned about the pregnancy than nursing but i don't know for sure.
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
sararenda
Banned
seller

I've had inguinal hernias with all 4 of my pregnancies. I had both repaired 3 weeks after baby #3 was born. Got pregnant 10 months after surgery and the hernias came back! I read that inguinal hernias often return even after surgery.

As far as nursing, I pumped and dumped for 48 hours after surgery then resumed nursing on demand. My husband and sister fed the baby from a bottle those 2 days with milk I had pumped before the surgery.

Hope this helps.

Rachel
sararenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I had my gallbladder removed when dd was 4 weeks. I pumped and dumped for a day because of the anesthesia (I didn't want it making her groggy) and because I had to take 5 medications after surgery for pain before one kicked in. I was a walking medicine cabinet for a day. I had pumped before surgery and we did it with both bm and formula for the day.

I'm sure others will say it is all ok to nurse, but with the amount of drugs in system, I was afraid to nurse her.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

most drugs, its deemed okay, but hoestly, id fnd out what theyre giving you and research it, and see if youre confy with it, even if the docs say its fine. if youre okay, then well, go ahead lol, and if not, then id pump if yu can and depending on how old the baby when you get it done, then feed from a syringe, or cup, or if older or you dont mind the baby accepting a bottle anyway, then go ahead and bottle feed for a day or whatever youre told if its not okay.

hth
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:38 PM   #7
Mom2MyBugs
Registered Users

In most cases, you can nurse as soon as you no longer feel effects from the anesthesia:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html

Jen
Mom2MyBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #8
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I was 7months prego with DD and still nursing DS many many times during the day I had my Gallbladder out because it was very badly infected! Before surgery they just didnt give me the "make you forget/loop medicine" because I was pg & BFing and that supposedly isnt good. After surgery my DS stayed with me so I was able to nurse him throughout the night! The DRs told & showed me proof that the meds they gave me during the surgery were okay for the baby in my belly & the one on my boob (I'll look and see if I can find the paperwork!)

I know many hospitals will do what you ask especially when it comes to breastfeeding a baby so if you want the baby with you it should be fine or for DH to bring the baby in. The meds shouldnt be a problem either!!!
Old 12-24-2006, 03:28 AM   #9
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

I think i am the poster child for drugs & surgery during pregnancy and while nursing.

When I was 81/2 weeks pregnant with Sage I became deathly ill. For a week I was in the hospital and they had no idea what was wrong with me. Finally some genius decided to do an U/S and they found an abcess the size of a large grapefruit in my abdomen. Just shy of 10 weeks I had emergency surgery to remove the abcess. I was in the icu in a medically induced coma for 2 days and then in the hospital on high doses of IV pain meds, steroids, and antibiotics. The abcess recurred throughout the surgery because the morons didn't repair the perforated intestine when they did the surgery. By the time we found this out I was 17 weeks and they wouldn't do the surgery. for the next 16 weeks I was in and out of the hospital (90 days in all) I had a PICC line the entire time, wasn't allowed to eat anything at all (seriously, I was given intraveinous nutrition) on Perscription narcotics and IV steroids most of the pregnancy. Sage was born at 33 week a strapping 5 pounds with no withdrawl effects from the pain meds at all. She was NPO for the first 3 days but then did a mix of bm in a bottle and nursing. When she was 7 days old I had 2 1/2 foot of bowel removed, my appendix and gallbladder removed and my tubes tied. I was in surgery for 4 1/2 hours. When I woke in the recovery room the LC came down and helped me pump and we dumped that. 2 hours later they brought Sage to me to nurse.

The neonatalogist said that had she been a full term 7 day old they would have brought her to the recovery room to nurse right away. When you are awake the annesthia is cleared from your body. (as a pp said you can request that they not give you the IV stuff to relax you before hand) I was also on IV Dilauded from her birth, that is one of the most powerful narcotic prescriptions they use, aside from the 3 days that she was NPO, she was strictly on my breastmilk. This was all at Hillcrest Hospital which is the Cleveland Clinic's Hospital that now handles the high risk moms and babies. The neonatalogist and Maternal Fetal medicine assured me and showed me many studies that said it all was safe.

As for pain meds afterwards, there really is no need to pump and dump. Moms who have c-sections are given these same medications and are never told to pump and dump.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:52 AM   #10
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies! This has made me feel so much better about getting the issue taken care of right away!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote