Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pumping for a 7 week old--How much? How often?

For moms with long-term pumping success:

Travel included I am away from my son 11 hours a day, 4 days a week. I pump at work every 3 hours until no more milk comes out. This was accumulating a LOT of milk at first, but I seem to get a little less each day. How often should I pump? For how long? I am terrified of not being able to produce enough milk at some point down the road.

If I need to pump more often, how do I present this to my employer? Or should I try to pump any extra at home?

Please tell me what you did that worked!! I really want to BF and pump to 1 year!

Advertisement

Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pumping for a 7 week old--How much? How often?

Any ideas?
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hey mama. i was fortunate to not have to return to the office until DS was 12 weeks (though i worked from home for 6 weeks prior), so i'm not sure based on age. i would say that my LO fed more often than every 3 hours at that age, though. if you can't add a pumping session at work, try adding one in the morning right before you leave. also, practice breast compressions as you're pumping to get more milk out. kellymom.com has a lot of good info on that.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Mommy-Stacy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hadley, I would suggest pumping as much at home as you can. A good way to boost supply is to pump after nursing (even if you aren't able to express much; the stimulation will tell your breasts to produce more milk). Also...I have found that pumping more frequently for shorter periods of time increases my output.

I usually feed baby in the AM, pump, get ready for work (and if time permits pump again before leaving for work...if not...I try to pump quick when I first get to work)...try to keep your pumping sessions only 3 hours apart.

Do you get lunch time? Maybe offer to take a 15 minute lunch (and pump over your lunch...and just eat quick)...to allow for additional pumping sessions at work. Also, make sure you are eating and drinking adequate amounts of fluids. I have found that about a gallon of water is what I need to keep my supply at my desired level...I know when I am pumping if I have not had enough to drink.

Also, keep in mind the more you have baby to the breast the better. So, no bottles if you and baby are together...you may also want to plan to take a few days off here or there (if you have days saved up)...like if you know there is a holiday coming up that you have off...schedule a vacation day in conjunction; and have a breastfeeding/pumping vacation. Just nurse and pump...

I hope that you are able to find something that works for you. You can do this, you just have to find your "groove" You can also try eating oatmeal, taking fenugreek and/or other herbs...

Good luck!!
Stacy Active Duty Air Force Medic and LPN (soon to be IDMT!) wife to Joshua (SAHD/full-time student) Mommy to angels Kaidyns Marianne and Nathaniel David (12/08/03-12/08/03), long awaited rainbow baby
Natalie Lauralei
(05/01/07), angels AJ (1/6/08@6weeks) and Jacey Levi(7/13/08@13weeks), surprise rainbow baby Judah Michael (7/30/09) EBF/pumping exclusively CDing
my FSOT
Mommy-Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote