Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
sienna
Registered Users

question about longies

i really just like the look of them and don't have any fitteds....instead of going into fitteds just to justify longies, i wonder if the folks at llamajamas would knit me some in cotton...any thoughts?

S

Advertisement

sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Camellia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: question about longies

Do you use prefolds? All I use are pf's and I put them under longies all the time.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Longies are also greta as pants and over pockets so to make sure the pockets dont leak through onto clothing...I also think longies are great at nap time over pockets and AIOs to give them added protection of staying dry!! And yes Many WAHMs make Awesome longies, and they will knit it out of whatever you wanna it outta...I ve seen some mamas get acrylic longies...but the Wool ones have a better reslae value if thaht matters or not?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
adrocksmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
Longies are also greta as pants and over pockets so to make sure the pockets dont leak through onto clothing...I also think longies are great at nap time over pockets and AIOs to give them added protection of staying dry!! And yes Many WAHMs make Awesome longies, and they will knit it out of whatever you wanna it outta...I ve seen some mamas get acrylic longies...but the Wool ones have a better reslae value if thaht matters or not?
What she said
adrocksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
MaggieSqrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These are all great points! I love longies - DD wears them a lot, especially when we're home for the day. They're just so cozy!

You asked about cotton. That wouldn't work for longies unless you just want them for "fashion" (to look cute!) over pockets/aios/disposables/etc... Cotton wouldn't work as a cover. Wool (and acrylic, which is basically plastic yarn ) work to hold the moisture inside of the fitted/prefold underneath (like the PP said). Wool is the best, IMHO, because you can just air it out instead of washing every time. If it's not dirty with poo or something, it will freshen up because of the antibacterial properties Awesome stuff! Cotton would just let the moisture wick right through.

HTH! Wool covers are so adorable, especially longies!

"Learn to Dye Wool Yarn Kit" and undyed yarn available, too!
MaggieSqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
sienna
Registered Users

yeah, for fashion. I just think they are so cute, but wool is $$ and if i start buying fitteds to justify it....silly. might as well just get cotton, right?

(i know i could use wool over the pockets, but i wouldn't NEED wool...)

S
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
MaggieSqrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know - they are just too cute, aren't they?! Actually, the cost usually comes from the time spent hand-knitting than the wool itself. There's a wide variety of wool out there. For longies, I can spend anywhere from $8 on wool on up to $30 - just for the yarn. It just depends on the type of wool, but many brands of wool yarn are actually very reasonable.

Did you look into hand-knit longies made with less-expensive wool? Or maybe crocheted or recycled "sweater" longies? If you want recycled ones just to be cute, I love the ones at Batik Bum on Hyena Cart. Hers are so cute! I personally have a wide range of prices on my hand-knit ones on my Hyena Cart, and I know of several crochet mamas who make longies that are more in the $30-$40 range. (Knitting can take a bit more time than crochet, so it can be less expensive, even for 100% wool longies...).

I hope you find some you like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sienna View Post
yeah, for fashion. I just think they are so cute, but wool is $$ and if i start buying fitteds to justify it....silly. might as well just get cotton, right?

(i know i could use wool over the pockets, but i wouldn't NEED wool...)

S

"Learn to Dye Wool Yarn Kit" and undyed yarn available, too!
MaggieSqrl is offline   Reply With Quote