Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Laniemel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Extended Breastfeeding?

I just got done reading the thread about the poor mama who had her kids taken away due to a pic of her breastfeeding and towards the end, one of the op wondered what would've happened if the woman was breastfeeding a three or four year old.

I've known of a couple of women who breastfed their children into their third year. Personally, I'm not going to judge someone on their parenting choices because there are some beliefs I have that I know other people might find wrong. Each to his own.

I just wanted to get some opinions on extended breastfeeding and if you do, have you had to deal with severe criticism from others for it?

Advertisement

Last edited by Laniemel; 10-07-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: realized I should've put this in the parenting forum, sorry!
Laniemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extended Breastfeeding?

It's common in my culture to practice extended bfing. My uncle was still breastfeeding at the age of 6 and my grandmother, who is now 100 (go gma!) often talks about it. My uncle isn't embarrassed by it at all. It wasn't an unhealthy relationship and he still knew school and play were important to him. He wasn't clinging to his mom's breast all day long. They still have a great relationship and he helps care for my gma.

My DH was also bf until the age of 4 and he was bf by several different women.

I am glad I come from a background where none of this is looked down upon, nor have I ever encountered someone who told me to my face that what my family or DH did was disgusting or sick.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

As long as mama and kiddo are happy with the situation I think it's great
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
harleysheart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just weaned our 22 month old...and I will tell you everyone around me thinks more then 6 mo is extended breastfeeding. Now because we cloth diaper and recycle everything we poss can and use natural cleaning products they already think im crazy so they just kept their thoughts to themselves.

So I say to each their own and I think its very sad that a child gets taken away from its loving mother for being loved and taken care of when in this sad world we have so many children being abused and not loved. Go find a kid/baby that needs to be taken from an unloving home is what I say!
My blog:The Frugal 5
harleysheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I still nurse my 2 1/2 yo dd. I would probably get crap from my family if they still knew, but they dont. But my family thinks breastfeeding in general is gross and weird. DH's family knows that I do and they could care less. One of my nieces was nursed until 4 1/2. My best friend still nurses her dd who is 2 days older than mine so I get support there. I do try really hard to not nurse her in public. I will if she really NEEDS it, but most of the time when she is asking when we are out it is bc she is hungry or thirsty, so I keep snacks and juice boxes at the ready.
doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
ajanele
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's wonderful, and it makes me sad that others cannot appreciate the bond behind it.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
It's common in my culture to practice extended bfing. My uncle was still breastfeeding at the age of 6 and my grandmother, who is now 100 (go gma!) often talks about it. My uncle isn't embarrassed by it at all. It wasn't an unhealthy relationship and he still knew school and play were important to him. He wasn't clinging to his mom's breast all day long. They still have a great relationship and he helps care for my gma.

My DH was also bf until the age of 4 and he was bf by several different women.

I am glad I come from a background where none of this is looked down upon, nor have I ever encountered someone who told me to my face that what my family or DH did was disgusting or sick.
thats awesome mama! gives me goose bumps

i bf my DD till she was 2.5 years and no one seemed to care....my family knows we are the 'different' ones (CD, sew own clothes, family cloth, mama cloth, make our own detergent, no TV, etc)....and the only reason she weaned bc we were planning TTC and i didnt want to tandem her and my son plus be pg....body couldnt handle that....or i would have bf her longer....this time around, this is probably our last babe, so i will most likely bf till three or longer
Old 10-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
jennak
Registered Users
seller

my dd is almost 16 months and we're still going strong. she nurses like all night long and a few times in the day. i don't have any intention of weaning her until she's ready. she seems to need it, especially at night. i'm fine with it, she's fine with it and my husband is fine with it. that's all that matters.

i don't see her weaning anytime soon, and i kinda think that it will take my milk drying up for her to do so.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
rebeekers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajanele View Post
I think it's wonderful, and it makes me sad that others cannot appreciate the bond behind it.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Kitty41
Registered Users

Hi,
I have a 17 month old still nursing her at night. She is number 4. I breastfed number 2 until 22 months. People think I am too attached to my kids and blah blah. I don't care. I stay at home I raise my kids I teach manner and values. Its a tough job but someone has to do it!
Kitty41 is offline   Reply With Quote