Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extended Breastfeeding?

I would BF longer but around 3 months PG my kids wean themselves. My DH thinks its because I am so sick and not eating right that the babies give up themselves, so my kiddos are usually around 15 months when they wean. I think our lasst baby though will probably nurse till 2, I would have no problem with that. Once they are potty trained I think I would be more hesitant.

Advertisement

Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got a comment the other day (from a carpet saleswoman at my grandparents' house!) about DS being "too old for that." He's 6 months old!
I don't plan on stopping until he's ready - within reason. I don't think I'd be comfortable with a nursing 5 year old, but that's just me.

I don't know anyone in real life who's nursed beyond 5-6 months, and I find that really sad.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am still nursing my little guy, and YES - I get greif ALL the time from family. One aunt feels the need to tell me I should give it to him in a cup "or you'll be having saggin boobs before you know it!" (gee thanks, and that's not what makes them sag )

I also hear "He is MUCH too old for that!" I've heard that comment as early as 3 months, and 6 months. I've also been told "Just put it in a cup/bottle!"

My mom is not unsupportive, but has indicated it will be "difficult if you're in the hospital long and he can't come.." -- and my MIL keeps saying "He needs to be weaned, because the new baby won't have enough"... and other relatives ask if we are "STILL breastfeeding him?"

My grandma totally does not get it, and asks if he eats "real food". No I just give him that fake stuff all the time. . .

I'm also asked "Doesn't that hurt? He has a mouth full of teeth!" Nope, unless he's not latched properly and needs his gums numbed...

One relative on DH's side has been supportive and said she was nursed until she was 2. She's in her 60s.

I've heard everything from "that can't be right.." to "he's getting no benefit from that, but I'm sure you are..." (as if somehow the uterine contrax keep me nursing - I don't feel them!) and "Oh there is no medical benefit to that this long.. he needs real food" (I got that from a pedi at his 6 month appointment... the child did not want table food yet, nor did he need it)

Personally, I'm ok if we're still breastfeeding at his 2nd birthday.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
dinkey98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As long as it is mutually enjoyed by both mother and child, it's fine. My DD will be 33 mos this month and she still nurses. We just started weaning from morning session, so now she just nurses at bedtime.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't get grief at all but the longest I have nured is 2 years. I am nursing a 17 month old now and am 30 weeks pregnant so in a few weeks I will be officially tandem nursing

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #16
Momoftwo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When is BFing considered "extended"? I nursed my LOs until around two.
Momoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is 14 months old and we are still going strong here. I DON"T CARE what anyone thinks about me still breastfeeding. My DD loves it, I love it, and it's good for both of us. My mom bf my youngest sister until she was 4 and my whole family (my sisters, mom, gma, DH) all support it. We gonna keep going until DD is ready to stop.....ok I don't think I will bf her until 6 but I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #18
raindrop_333
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm definitely supportive of extended nursing. I'm still nursing my boy who turned 2 a week and a half ago (picture in avatar)

My mother thinks it's weird that I'm still nursing my son, but I don't care. She doesn't do any research before spouting off ignorant comments about everything. I just try not to nurse him around her (though he still asks for it ) or talk about it around her.

Last edited by raindrop_333; 10-07-2009 at 03:42 PM.
raindrop_333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #19
rubidoux
Registered Users

That was me.

I nursed my first until he was 3 1/2 and I probably would have gone longer but we were having trouble conceiving, so I stopped at the youngest age I felt okay about.

Now my older goes to a relatively mainstream private school and I have met several moms there who have admitted to nursing even later. And sadly it is like that, nobody wants to admit it first. Also, dh is a law professor and his collegues all look super uptight. We're not talking about a bunch of hippy freaks or anything. And I know of at least two of the women on the faculty (and there aren't that many) who nursed till their LO's were around 3. I think it probably happens more than we think. And I can sure see why it's mostly hush hush. After reading that news story I feel like /i don't want to nurse my baby outside the house after he's one. I figure my pediatritian (who nursed hers till they were 3ish, btw) will back me until at least then.

ETA: You asked about critisism and I haven't really had any regarding nursing s long. Neither my mom nor my mil nursed, but they both wish they had and are very supportive of it.

Btw, when ds1 was a baby, I thought I'd nurse till he was around 2 1/2 bc after that it would be too creepy or something. But then when he was 2 1/2 it wasn't creepy at all. It was totally normal -- for us, and I knew that he wasn't ready to stop. Now, I do kinda have that feeling about 4. lol Like at 4 all the sudden it would be weird, but I bet it wouldn't.

Last edited by rubidoux; 10-07-2009 at 06:06 PM.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #20
shweebies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was personally bf until 5. I remember when my mom said no more. I thought my world had ended. BF for as long as both mother and child want. People's views of bf is so skewed. What a sad world.