Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #21
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Extended Breastfeeding?

I am still nursing my 22 month old DS and will continue until at least cold and flu season is over. The only people that really know are my PIL's and they understand but everyone else def thinks its VERY wierd to BF at all let alone extended breastfeeding.

Advertisement

WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #22
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I BF'd DS until 7.5 months when I lost my milk due to PG. I EP'd for DD until she was 13 months and I just couldn't do it anymore. When we have another LO I will nurse until he/she is ready to stop. But knowing what I know now, I think I would BF until at LEAST 18 months, bare minimum. Although honestly I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable past 2 years. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

My mom is very pro-bfing, but I don't think she would be supportive of it past a year, but then I've never asked her.

Last edited by daisy0306; 10-07-2009 at 07:41 PM.
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #23
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is 25 months and still nursing. I NIP if she needs to. She's nursing 6 or so times a day so I don't see any end in sight. I plan to let weaning happen when it happens. Also, I think the term "extended" breastfeeding makes what we're doing sound like something abnormal. I've been trying to call it full term nursing. It just seems like a more accurate term.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #24
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 21 mos and I thought she was done . . . and got sick and feel asleep on the boob last night (we only do before bed). Falling isn't a common thing for us but it tells me she still need that comfort and milk to help with not feeling well.

Other ask and when I tell them 1x a day I get "Wow, really." and just say "Yes". If it was interferring with her play or day - I would have pushed her to wean . . . she has never asked for it acept for before bed.

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #25
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am still bfing Ds and am pumping for Dd ( she is still in the NICU). I get some grief from my mom who thinks I should stop at 2yrs old ( she nursed me until 2). I figure if he still wants to and I have enough for Dd then it is ok. I can't wait to tandem nurse!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #26
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

DD2 is 6 months and I get comments from people sometimes. My MIL was in town for DD1s birthday last weekend and asked if I was still nursing (she always asks). I said yes, and that I don't see her weaning soon. She reminded me AGAIN about her sister who bf for 18 months and how weird it was, and that once they get teeth they shouldn't nurse anymore. DD just got 2 teeth, so I guess she was suggesting I should stop. I don't care. Our good friends do the same thing. I think bf a preschooler is a little unecessary, but I don't judge those who choose to do that.

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #27
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
It's common in my culture to practice extended bfing. My uncle was still breastfeeding at the age of 6 and my grandmother, who is now 100 (go gma!) often talks about it. My uncle isn't embarrassed by it at all. It wasn't an unhealthy relationship and he still knew school and play were important to him. He wasn't clinging to his mom's breast all day long. They still have a great relationship and he helps care for my gma.

My DH was also bf until the age of 4 and he was bf by several different women.

I am glad I come from a background where none of this is looked down upon, nor have I ever encountered someone who told me to my face that what my family or DH did was disgusting or sick.
That is awesome!!!

I hate that our Western society is so messed up in their thinking on parenting issues in general. Even the whole phrase of "extended" breastfeeding is somewhat of a misnomer to most of the world anyway and down through the centuries. It was and is common in place in so many other countries to nurse beyond a year. It's not even given a second thought.

I totally support EBF and am doing it myself. My son is 15 months so I haven't really gotten any comments yet. However to be honest I'm pretty blunt and was straight forward from the beginning letting my "circle of friends" know what I would be doing and it wasn't up for discussion.
I'll continue to nurse on demand until Aaron self weans.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #28
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm still bf'ing my 2 year old, and the only one who seems to care is my midwife. The rest of our family and friends are supportive.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #29
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads View Post
I'm still bf'ing my 2 year old, and the only one who seems to care is my midwife. The rest of our family and friends are supportive.
Really???? Your midwife is actually not supportive of it?? That's kind of strange coming from a midwife.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #30
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajanele View Post
I think it's wonderful, and it makes me sad that others cannot appreciate the bond behind it.
Me too. Ds weaned at 33 mo and it was perfect timing for both of us. I could not imagine any other way.