Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:
Home daycare - tell me I'm not being too paranoid!

We are looking at daycare options for when DS turns 1 (partly to relieve nanny costs, partly to give him some more scheduled days and interaction with other children). We were looking at one family day care near our house but had a few reservations such as:

- no liability insurance (California law doesn't require it... but it's only about $600/year!)
- no outlet covers or safety gates blocking access to kitchen. They say they just watch the kids closely.
- they didn't seem very clear about what their emergency procedure was other than ducking under the table for earthquakes, and the nearby park being the evacuation site
- Friday is movie day; and there was a computer on in the play room. What's up with that???

There were other concerns, too, but less important ones in our eyes. But are we being overly paranoid first-time parents? Your opinions, please!

Advertisement

SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
stina_t
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home daycare - tell me I'm not being too paranoid!

Regardless of what anyone else thinks, if you're instincts tell you that you're not comfortable leaving your kids there, don't leave them there.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stina_t View Post
Regardless of what anyone else thinks, if you're instincts tell you that you're not comfortable leaving your kids there, don't leave them there.

ITA, if you are uneasy, don't do it.

As for the outlets, if they are licensed, they have to have it, so I would consider that a safety issue. The kitchen part, are the cabinets "locked"? We don't block ours, but every cabinet is locked and can't be opened by the kids a gate would keep out.

As for insurance, make sure that they have homeowners or rental insurance that covers an in home daycare.

How many kids per adult? What ages? More than 2 kids under 2 is not OK. The theory is, 1 kid under each arm to exit in an emergency.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post

ITA, if you are uneasy, don't do it.

As for the outlets, if they are licensed, they have to have it, so I would consider that a safety issue. The kitchen part, are the cabinets "locked"? We don't block ours, but every cabinet is locked and can't be opened by the kids a gate would keep out.

As for insurance, make sure that they have homeowners or rental insurance that covers an in home daycare.

How many kids per adult? What ages? More than 2 kids under 2 is not OK. The theory is, 1 kid under each arm to exit in an emergency.
Thanks for the reply! They are licensed, so I was surprised they don't have outlet covers (and this is in one of the 2 play rooms -- where they have arts and crafts activities and eat lunch). There were no locks on the cabinets or safety covers on the stove. And while I do agree that adult supervision is the best safeguard against accidents, you can't expect every child to be watched at every moment, right?

They rent the home, and didn't indicate whether they had rental insurance.

They have 8 kids total, 4 of them being infants, 2 caregivers, so I guess this satisfies the ratio criterion.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

I wouldn't do it, but thats me. I think if your questioning it then theres your answer!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to be licensed and outlet covers mean the whole plastic cover thing not the child safety things you block the outlet with. I thought it was the child safety things till two different licensing workers told me the same thing. They said you'd be surprised how many homes they enter where the face plate covers are missing.
I also never had a gate across the kitchen but then I only had three littles at once.
We did have insurance though, it was added onto our homeowners and didn't cost much at all.
If you have that niggling feeling about them, go with it, and move onto the next place.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree. If your instincts say no, trust them. You don't want to feel uneasy with the person who cares for your child.
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Ask any questions you feel you need to ask and then compare them with other places you interview at. I do not have a baby gate blocking the kitchen but we do not allow the kids in there and all the cabinets have child safety latches. We have insurance. We do not have a specific emergency plan.....basically, grab the kids and run if needed. We have emergency numbers for the parents besides that I am not sure what you are wanting to hear from them. As for movie day, is it movies all day or just one movie? Is the computer for education use only with time restrictions and supervision? I would ask specific questions if you are not hearing what you need to hear. Good luck with your search for daycare.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
JerBearsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree w/ PP. Trust your gut. Don't do it!
JerBearsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can also call the licensing board and see what they've been dinged with. There's almost always some small infraction but it's best to know if there's something big. I interviewed a ton of dcp's when ds went and some just freaked me out from the start and I wouldn't even get out of the car. You'll know when you find a good match.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote