Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
iamamamato3boys
Registered Users

Junk food as incentive??

I'm at a loss... Logan is in pre-competitive gymnastics and trains 4 hours a week. He told me his coach said that anyone who could get into a full split would get a soda pop. Now Logan is trying desperately to do the splits so he can get this pop. We don't drink pop in our house and we would prefer for our kids not to have it but in a situation where training athletes are involved, isn't it a little strange to offer junk food as incentive?

I'm thinking an extra 5 or 10 minutes on the trampoline would be enough incentive for them.

Advertisement

iamamamato3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Junk food as incentive??

I think that's a bit strange too...perhaps say something to the coach about it and how your kids aren't even used to having soda in the house and you'd prefer it not be used as a bribe. What is the purpose of doing this split anyway?...is it a HUGE competitive thing? like they get extra points for it? or he just wants them to do it?

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Yeah, I think that sounds very strange too! SODA??? How about a gatorade???? I would have to say something. Min also do not get soda on a regular basis...only like at big family functions where they have coolers full ...then it is lik a special treat. It just is not healthy!

HUgs mama!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Meeshi
Registered Users

I really dislike the junk=incentive thing. Whether it be bribing a kid with a happy meal, public schools using candy as rewards, or things like this. It doesn't tend to make for healthy habits, IMO. Part of the reason we choose to homeschool and look into every program we enroll the girls in.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Ugh that would irk me. You know, do they not realize kids that aren't used to this stuff can have - reactions? Like me - I don't drink pop. If I have one I'll puke b/c I am not used to it. Same thing could happen w/one of those kids.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't like that incentive being used for my kid either. I wouldn't have gone for it if I was a kid! Soda give me the hiccups. LOL
I agree that you should talk to the coach and see if another 'bribe' could be thought up. Hasn't that coach been watching they news? Doesn't he/she realize that childhood obesity is on the rise? I realize one soda won't make a child obese, but its the principle and the idea that junk food is a reward that I don't like.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

I find it very weird and would probably approach the coach about it. But then again I'm personally a lil bit of a health nut (or better say finally I am again after over 1 yr of 'sloth life' )
Old 01-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I would approach the coach about this too, since you don't allow it in your home, the coach has no right to give your kids something you your self don't approve of
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

I'd be irked. Food in general isn't something I would use as incentive or a bribe.... reminds me of when my little brother was in some tee ball group, as a little guy.... the coach offered ice cream to whoever could so something first or something.

Fine, great.... My brother was beyond lactose intollerant and would get horribly sick with dairy. His little 5 year old mind.... my mom explainedhow proud she was that he did it, but the ice cream would make his tummy hurt and that how about they go get **something else** -- he told her it wouldn't hurt him because prizes are good, and good things can't hurt you.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

how wierd
are all the kids not soda drinkers?? cuz i thought david was the only one on that one. alwasy see at junk joints kids david's age drinking them
i would suggest tsomething else .a sk coach why soda
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote