Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Mommy-Stacy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I need lots of suggestions!

I have some time to plan, but I am hoping to get some suggestions...

I am active duty in the Air Force. My DS is 2 months old now. I will be going to formal training for 3 months when he is 7 months old. I am pumping like a maniac as it is...but....how do I keep up with this while I am away from him for 3 MONTHS??!

Anyone with experience? Suggestions?? Shipping ideas??

Also...any ideas to make my absence easier on my SAHD husband, my DS (who will be 7 months old) and my DD (who will turn 3 while I am gone)??! I really want this to be as smooth sailing as possible. This is a AWESOME opportunity for me to advance in my career (just wish it would have come up at a better time)...but I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to breastfeed my DS well into his 2nd year of life...I am a bit concerned that both of the kiddos are too young to understand why Mommy is away and I am afraid we will loose our VERY close bond.

Ideas...please...

Advertisement

Stacy Active Duty Air Force Medic and LPN (soon to be IDMT!) wife to Joshua (SAHD/full-time student) Mommy to angels Kaidyns Marianne and Nathaniel David (12/08/03-12/08/03), long awaited rainbow baby
Natalie Lauralei
(05/01/07), angels AJ (1/6/08@6weeks) and Jacey Levi(7/13/08@13weeks), surprise rainbow baby Judah Michael (7/30/09) EBF/pumping exclusively CDing
my FSOT
Mommy-Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need lots of suggestions!

Have you tried finding a lactation consultant in your area? I would ask a professional!

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1
http://www.breastfeeding.com/directory/lcdirectory.html

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
Mommy-Stacy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_dandy View Post
Have you tried finding a lactation consultant in your area? I would ask a professional!

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1
http://www.breastfeeding.com/directory/lcdirectory.html
I have thought about that, but was hoping to get some advice here as well...hopefully from someone that has been in a similar situation...

Thanks for the links!
Stacy Active Duty Air Force Medic and LPN (soon to be IDMT!) wife to Joshua (SAHD/full-time student) Mommy to angels Kaidyns Marianne and Nathaniel David (12/08/03-12/08/03), long awaited rainbow baby
Natalie Lauralei
(05/01/07), angels AJ (1/6/08@6weeks) and Jacey Levi(7/13/08@13weeks), surprise rainbow baby Judah Michael (7/30/09) EBF/pumping exclusively CDing
my FSOT
Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Will you be able to pump while you're gone?

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

wow. is this a choice at all? because..honestly, i would never be able to leave a 7 month old for 3 month. if this is a decision you can make or something you can put off until your DS is older I would do some serious research on development and bonding with mama and reconsider leaving a baby that young for 3 months.. if its not a choice, i would focus the research on what you can do to reconnect when you get back.. it will be very hard to get you LO back on the breast after 3 months even if you do maintain your supply, but you may be able to do it.. but you will have a lot more than just the hurdle of learning to BF again..

are there forums out there for military mamas? maybe you could find some suggestions there?

thank you for serving our country ..
Old 10-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Will be pming you! Haven't done anything like this, but I'll share all the ideas I can think of. If you haven't already...check out all you can on kellymom.com
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Mommy-Stacy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
Will you be able to pump while you're gone?
I know for sure I will be able to pump before class, during lunch, and after class...I am not sure if I'll be able pump during class or not (not sure what the break schedule is like...but I will for sure be asking if it is an option!)
Natalie Lauralei
my FSOT
Old 10-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Mommy-Stacy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Bmommy View Post
Will be pming you! Haven't done anything like this, but I'll share all the ideas I can think of. If you haven't already...check out all you can on kellymom.com
I have been looking on kellymom, but most of the info I have found is for short separations...
Natalie Lauralei
my FSOT
Old 10-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Mommy-Stacy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post
wow. is this a choice at all? because..honestly, i would never be able to leave a 7 month old for 3 month. if this is a decision you can make or something you can put off until your DS is older I would do some serious research on development and bonding with mama and reconsider leaving a baby that young for 3 months.. if its not a choice, i would focus the research on what you can do to reconnect when you get back.. it will be very hard to get you LO back on the breast after 3 months even if you do maintain your supply, but you may be able to do it.. but you will have a lot more than just the hurdle of learning to BF again..

are there forums out there for military mamas? maybe you could find some suggestions there?

thank you for serving our country ..
The only real decision I have is when to go...NOW as in leaving on the 20th...or sometime between now and March....I voted to wait until March...

I am VERY concerned about re bonding...and DH and I are trying to figure out if it would be possible for him to come down with the kids for a visit once he is out of school...

I have 5 months to get all my thoughts together. I started with this aspect first because I figured it would be the one thing I would/could start working on now.
Natalie Lauralei
my FSOT