Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #21
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: UPDATE in OP my 3 year old has an enlarged thyroid...need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolanae View Post
Ryan was hyperthyroid, but didn't have goiters. His TSH was a staggering 13 when he was diagnosed.

His thyroid problems are caused by grave's disease.

I'm betting you money once things start to get treated/righted, you will notice some changes for the good. We were amazed at just what was caused/affected by the thyroid mess.
I guess I am so weirded out because she is only 3. She is EXTREMELY strong-willed, to the point where I have considered taking her to a psychologist. I am wondering if this is all related..???

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #22
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynjacy View Post
I guess I am so weirded out because she is only 3. She is EXTREMELY strong-willed, to the point where I have considered taking her to a psychologist. I am wondering if this is all related..???
It could be an effect of the thyroid issues, or an effect of just plain not feeling good....or it could be not at all related.

I'd say get the thyroid sorted out, then give it a few weeks to see how things shake out.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #23
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, now I am freaking out! I just talked to the doc and he said her test was positive for the antibodies (in the 130s). BUT her TSH was in the 3s this time (not almost 8). I was thinking auto-immune but after looking up stuff online I am so scared. It said Hashimoto's is usually over 200 while under can signify malignancy.
I am so scared right now that words can't even explain it.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #24
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: UPDATE AGAIN PLEASE READ my 3 year old has an enlarged thyroid...need advice

Is there a chance you can get her (additionally) tested for Celiac?
There's a new study that came out showing the prevalence of thyroid issues and celiac together - so it may be warranted.

I don't remember what my levels were, but I know I sure felt like crap on a stick, was moody as heck and couldn't concentrate worth a darn.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #25
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: UPDATE AGAIN PLEASE READ my 3 year old has an enlarged thyroid...need advice

Hang in there mama - my doc told me that once you have antibodies, the number isn't super useful. The up and down TSH is pretty typical for an auto-immune issue.

I really really hope it's just weird crazy thyroid numbers though.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #26
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadiera View Post
Hang in there mama - my doc told me that once you have antibodies, the number isn't super useful. The up and down TSH is pretty typical for an auto-immune issue.

I really really hope it's just weird crazy thyroid numbers though.
I am so scared... One of her lymph nodes is also swollen but the doc didn't seem to think it was anything.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #27
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Please pray for us today. I am taking her in for an ultrasound.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #28
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UPDATE: She has Ha****moto's thyroiditis. She also has a .25 centimeter nodule (very small). He said most people have tiny nodules. He said just to be EXTRA safe we will be doing an ultrasound in January to make sure it doesn't enlarge at all. He told me not to worry. In 25 years of being an endocrinologist he has NEVER seen a child's nodule turn out be cancer. The fact that thyroid issues run in my family also has a lot to do with it.

I feel much better after talking with the doctor (endo). My anxiety issues are probably more damaging to my children than thyroid disease.

Thank you all for being here for me. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my posts. You all are great!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #29
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynjacy View Post
UPDATE: She has Ha****moto's thyroiditis. She also has a .25 centimeter nodule (very small). He said most people have tiny nodules. He said just to be EXTRA safe we will be doing an ultrasound in January to make sure it doesn't enlarge at all. He told me not to worry. In 25 years of being an endocrinologist he has NEVER seen a child's nodule turn out be cancer. The fact that thyroid issues run in my family also has a lot to do with it.
That's such a relief, I'm sure

I will say, since I've got Hashimoto's, that you should plan to stay on top of it - I'm sure her endocrinologist will do the same, but I've never gone more than 3 months without bloodwork. Regular illnesses can cause flare-ups and make things go haywire again, so just keep an eye on the things that get better as you get her TSH to the right value, and watch for those things to come back as a warning that her TSH is shifting again.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #30
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadiera View Post
That's such a relief, I'm sure

I will say, since I've got Hashimoto's, that you should plan to stay on top of it - I'm sure her endocrinologist will do the same, but I've never gone more than 3 months without bloodwork. Regular illnesses can cause flare-ups and make things go haywire again, so just keep an eye on the things that get better as you get her TSH to the right value, and watch for those things to come back as a warning that her TSH is shifting again.
It seems like such a strange thing to have. He said she could have went many years without anyone noticing. We are doing more blood work in 6 weeks. He said he wanted other T3 or something that they didn't order. He also said the reason for the up and down TSH is from Hashimoto's. I am relieved but still a little weirded out about the nodule. He told me not to make myself go nutty...lol.

She is never lethargic so he said he sees no reason for synthroid at this point.