Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: OT: any of you get vax for flu or h1n1?

Sandi. In the pamphlet they handed me they said the miat is not available for pregnant women. But if their family received it. That wouldn't be a problem. But I'm going to stick to y guns I think about this one. Every year when working I got the flu vaccine and every year I got the flu. So it kind of defeated even getting it. It wasn't immediately after the vax but always a few weeks later.

Advertisement

Love is compromise. Its accepting that both of you are diffrent. And learning to love the uniqueness of each other. Its learning to love those things which drive you nuts, and accepting them and not trying to change someone to how you want them to be.
fanatic4cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
sharon_k
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you really don't know if getting the shot is preventing the flu. We are a non-vaxing family and we go out in public a heck of a lot and we've never gotten the flu either. Last year I'd be willing to bet $$ b/c they got the strains all wrong, that anyone who was vaccinated got a useless vaccine. and the h1n1 is not mercury free, it still contains trace amounts. I think it says that in the package insert info on the link I provided. And you're right you can't sue anyone if you or your child is damaged by the swine flu vaccine, b/c the govt advised of that already. So for the vaccine manuf. it's lots of $$ and no liability for a vaccine they tested for 3 weeks. Are people really that stupid??
Also about the swine flu vaccine being administered in schools- if your child suffers a reaction in a non-medical setting, what can they do to help your child? Your child can have a seizure or collapse, etc. and get seriously hurt. The schools supposedly are not recording lot numbers etc. in your child's medical records. Again, this is not an appropriate medical setting. This is an outrageous attempt at mass-vaccination targeted at children. I will go so far as to say if my child attended a school that would be holding an h1n1 vaccination clinic, I would certainly keep my child home for that day(s) b/c who is to say they won't vaccinate my child by mistake? This is a terrible situation.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
sandmark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's impossible to accidentally vaccinate a school student. The way that it is set up students have to have forms and ID to be vaccinated if their parents choose to do so. The only person permitted to administer the vaccine is the school nurse who has the same qualifications as a regular nurse, and also the expertise to handle an adverse reaction or get appropriate medical help - just like a doctors office. And, the districts are requiring that all students return the vaccination forms even if they refuse. For those that refuse it is on record with the schools that that child is not to be vaccinated. Our district has instructed parents to fill out the info on the form and in marker, write REFUSED largely over the permission area of the form if that is their choice. It's not like they're marching entire classes to the nurse for shots.

Updated info from World Health Organization 10/4/09. http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_10_09/en/index.html

New article from the New York Times 10/10/09 - Long Q&A list.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/health/10primer.html

The biggest thing that people are missing about this vaccine is that it is made the same exact way as the regular seasonal flu shot, the only difference is the dead H1N1 virus instead of the other dead viruses they use. It would have been included in the regular flu shot vaccine if they'd have isolated the strain soon enough. They didn't, so now it's a separate vaccine.

There are reports of vaccine testing in other countries that have suffered with the swine flu and it was tested for more than 3 weeks. The vaccines are coming from the same five manufacturers that the US is getting their supply from.

I think the main push for this vaccine is because we do not have a built up immune response against it and it is killing members of the population who usually aren't affected that badly by the flu.

The regular flu causes 36,000 deaths per year in the US. Swine flu is under that number right now and I think people are freaking out because it's not killing the elderly, it's killing the young. Hence the pandemic.

If you are someone who is anti-vaccination then stick to your beliefs and don't vaccinate. If you do vaccinate then read lots of different info on this new vaccination, don't just base your opinion from one source. Check the dates of the sources and make sure that they are the most current out there. No one can make this decision for you but you.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
loreleidenise
Registered Users

It's amazing the state of panic our nation goes into over these sorts of things. It's like a national passtime, have an outbreak, have a panic. Sure, people have died from this flu strain, but the news never tells about underlying conditions- such as respiratory weakness, asthma, other illnesses that the patient might have been recently or concurrently treated for. I still get the regular flu vaccine because I do have respiratory issues and can't afford to miss anymore work between now and the baby's birth. A couple years ago I had a nasty bout with the flu that ended up going respiratory when I couldn't afford the vaccine, thankfully though my doctor had the hookup with tamiflu (only time I've ever been thankful for samples at the Dr's) to try to knock down the symptoms quickly.

If you think about it, just about everything we consume, even organic goods has trace amounts of mercury or unknown pharmaceutical residues due to previous generations' complete irresponsibility with materials, so really... that's a moot point in the vaccination dispute these days. Sad, isn't it? Also, across the fifty states- even in a time of panic- when vaccination clinics are held at schools they cannot vaccinate a child (even accidentally) without a signed consent form from the parent or guardian. He11, in most states they can't even put a band-aid or butterfly strips on a kid without consent from the parent because the risk is too high of triggering an allergic response or (the thing they fear most) triggering a lawsuit from someone who feels their rights were violated. So, relax, ladies. This will pass over all of us just like SARS, avian flu, and every other illness our country has panicked over in the last five years. Some people will get it and be sick regardless of how they try to prevent it. Some people will survive, some will not. It's just the way the universe in its wisdom works. Getting bent out of shape though over something that has been occurring on our planet for century upon century is just raising your blood pressure (not good for you or baby) for no tangible reason. Just be thankful we have treatment methods these days better than leeches and bloodletting!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think at the end of the day to vax or not vax is up to the individual. For me I'm not against vaxing. But the one red flag we can't sue. Worries me. Also the fact we really don't go anywhere we stay in our bubble so to say.
Love is compromise. Its accepting that both of you are diffrent. And learning to love the uniqueness of each other. Its learning to love those things which drive you nuts, and accepting them and not trying to change someone to how you want them to be.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

Lor you crack me up about the leeches! Pretty soon everyone will be wearing masks around. Wonder if we can get designer prints !!!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
abbi_n_nadia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never had a flu shot and neither has my dd. I think its rather silly/pointless. I don't think they work at all. Nadia has already had some sort of flu back in the first week of March before we had even heard about the swine flu. I don't know if thats what she had or not but it kind of sounds like it was. She threw up and then had a high fever and a cough and was on the couch for 2 days straight not wanting to move. And by the 3rd day she was back up playing again. We thought it was weird at the time cause she threw up so we were expecting a stomach bug but then it turned into flu like symptoms. It was like a stomach bug, a cold, and the regular flu all rolled into one. yuck! I don't know if it was swine flu or not but I guess if it was then she should be good to go! ha

Most of the people that have died from swine flu had other underlying conditions (from what I have heard), I don't think completely healthy young people are going to die from it. And I think the reason it isn't affecting older people is because they have already been exposed to it.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #18
sharon_k
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is not impossible to accidentally vaccinate a school student or anyone else for that matter. We are humans and mistakes are made. That's how little boys in doctors' offices have accidentally been given the Gardisil vaccine instead of whatever else they were supposed to get. The registered and/or licensed nurse reaches for the wrong vaccine....just as easily, a child can be placed in line to get vaccinated that has a "refused" on their form. Forms get lost/misread whatever. The point I was trying to make is a school is not the safest place to handle a serious vaccine reaction, and in an environment that is vaccinating a greater amount of children with no parents around to advocate for the children, no one can guarantee that a mistake won't be made. Patients die every day in hospitals b/c of miscommunication and medication mistakes, all preventable deaths caused by human error. And yes people die due to complications caused by the flu, and yes the numbers for swine flu deaths are lower. But the average healthy person is not going to die from complications if they happen to get the flu. The vaccine they are using here was only tested for a few weeks, and although no vaccine is tested for long-term safety and efficacy this vaccine certainly didn't get the testing a usual novel vaccine does get, b/c of its rush to market to make it in time for the "flu season". No matter which way you look at it, as $$ for the vaccine manufacturers, or $$ this country will lose if people miss work b/c of swine flu illness, it all boils down to dollars. The interest is not in the health and well-being of the population.
I have personally called the CDC and they have an option to choose if you have questions about H1N1. I chose that option and spoke with a representative, told her I am pregnant and had questions about the swine flu. She read from a script and became rather angry with the honest questions I had about the vaccine, such as how can the CDC recommend the vaccine when even the manuf. of the vaccine can't say that it's safe for pregnant women & their babies. That's who I'm supposed to trust? Some paid idiots reading from a script. No one speaks the truth, yet it is printed for everyone to read.
I am not trying to argue with anyone, but I have read the facts about the disease and the vaccine and truthfully I am not at all freaked out about H1N1, b/c it is just another flu strain after all. I am just angry that practitioners who know nothing about the vaccine want to push it for pregnant women and for children and are putting a guilt trip on people who are undecided or against the vaccine, saying they could hurt their unborn child by not getting vaccinated.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #19
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

wow sharon she read from a script? That really seems like i want to run out and get it NOT!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #20
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope, no flu vax here. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of strains of flu, and to take a vax that has not been tested nearly long enough to be called safe *just in case* I catch the one strain out of 1000 isn't enough for me. I never get a regular flu shot for the same reason. DD won't be getting one, either.