Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #21
sharon_k
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OT: any of you get vax for flu or h1n1?

seriously- Fan, call the CDC yourself. 800-232-4636 choose the option for questions about H1N1, you can go through the prompts to speak with a rep. Introduce yourself as a pregnant woman, due in dec and undecided on the H1N1 vaccine. Tell them your practitioner recommended it, but you wanted to ask the CDC directly, do they recommend for pregnant women? Just start with that question, you will likely get put on hold for a few minutes, then the rep will come back on and answer yes (b/c he/she had to look up the answer?!?), Then ask how they can recommend if the manuf. cannot guarantee the safety for pregnant women. They will say something like all they know is that the CDC is recommending it at this time, they won't be able to answer any questions outside the realm of what is scripted for them!

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #22
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

wow sharon. why not drive up there and ask them. cdc is like 10 miles from my house LOOOOL! wonder what they would do for face to face q and a !
Love is compromise. Its accepting that both of you are diffrent. And learning to love the uniqueness of each other. Its learning to love those things which drive you nuts, and accepting them and not trying to change someone to how you want them to be.
fanatic4cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #23
bryandcam+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we usually vaccinate but we do not get the flu shot and will not be getting the h1n1 shot here. i just think its usless
bryandcam+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #24
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not getting the H1N1, but I'm on the fence for the regular flu shot. My only reason for considering it is that the baby is due in the middle of flu season. I don't know, I'm not convinced they even work.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #25
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Okay so I've been reading up on this too and comparing because like you I am freaked out, but so far I'm leaning toward NO vax.

The statistics as of July 2009 was 33,902 people reported having the swine flu in the US. Out of those 170 died. In the WORLD it was 89,921 reported cases and 382 deaths. That's really not a lot considering it's about the same ratio for the reg flu every year! But with that even said think about this:

Remember H5N1?! I didn't until I looked it up. It was the Bird Flu pandemic about 2 years ago or so. They said the fatality rate was 60% that's A LOT!

However... you have to remember that 60% is solely based on reported cases that were severe enough to go to the hospital so that number is actually wrong (thanks media!). What about the people who had it but never went to the hospital... they don't count those people! Same with the H1N1 they are only counting reported cases! Not the other x amount of people who had it but recovered at home and are fine!

Don't let the media scare you.. they only show you what they want you to hear!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:36 AM   #26
fwlady
Registered Users

No flu or swine flu vax here either. I also think it is pointless, and read somewhere that it only protects against 1 strain out of the 2 for swine flu. So, you could get the vax (and maybe get that strain from the vax) and then still go to get the other strain. That is 2 wks wasted, whereas you may not have been exposed to the one to start with.

I have been wondering and worried because we do have a med fragile child, and last winter was HORRENDOUS for him, and all my kids really, when they used to only get sick twice a year. Usually one flu and one cold. This last winter, EVERYONE in our communities were sicker this year, not just our family. So, that explains some of it. Not every child would get sick if it was a cold, but everyone gets the flu. We had 3 flus in 2008; one in Feb, Aug, and one in Dec. Even my med fragile child was able to handle them at home, even at only 2 mos.

Now, I have another asthmatic in the family, and now DS has asthma, as well as his other issues. So, I wondered if I should have everyone else get vaxed, to keep the susceptible ones from getting it from them. But, then, I remembered the failure to protect rate, and the high incidence of ppl getting the flu from the vax. My Dh got ONE flu shot several years ago, and he was sicker than EVER. He hasn't had one since, and has been just fine ever since. He is also asthmatic.

And, yes, I do think there is something to population control, money being a BIG motivator, and the govt not caring what the end result really is. Notice how they are saying all these people are getting sick and dying, but yet the mass vax is well under way. Coincidence? I think not. This has been tried over and over again; vax after outbreak, outbreak gets worse, and then goes away after mass vax. So, they think that the vax cured the problem. When, really, the decline would have happened regardless.

And, what really got me, was when I heard that this same swine flu was pandemic in the 70s, they started mass vax, and because the vax was killing people too often, they had to stop.

It used to be that they vaxed the healthy ppl so that they would not get it and spread it to the unhealthy ppl that can't or shouldn't get the vax. Well, NOW, they want ALL susceptible persons aka unhealthy and vulnerable persons, to get the vax. But, if there is a shortage, then the healthy ppl are suppose to step back to let the recommended persons to get it first. I wonder if they figure that it is better to get the unhealthy persons out of the way, and with a PG woman, you have two for the price of one.

I have birthed 5, going on 6, children during the winter/flu season. I have had 2 mo old baby get the flu, 4mo old baby get the chicken pox, 5mo old baby get whooping cough, and ALL exclusively BREASTFED, and they all did FINE. The med fragile baby had the flu at 2 mos, but he didn't have his issues until later. Colds are what causes him to get sick and hospitalized.

We are going to just try to live in a bubble for his sake. And, he has a good emergency plan set out by his pulmo ped. He also asked about vax. No way!! I think that when we decided against vax before our 2nd was born, and after DS1 was 2yo, we made a very good decision. I am sure that my med fragile baby would have been too ill to get vaxed on schedule, or very ill/died from being vaxed. I have told nurses/drs that when asked, and the response, "oh, sometimes the dr is okay with a baby getting vaxed even if they have a cold." Yeah, right. My friend started her baby on schedule, with a slight cold, was assured she would be fine. She gets WHOOPING COUGH from the vax, in the hospital PICU, and they try and TRY to prove it wasn't WC, telling her she had leukemia!! Transfer to another hospital revealed that she DID have WC (as I told her from the beg cause I recognized the cough over the phone), and it started an epidemic in their community. 6 of their vaxed kids got it anyway, and 5 did not. So, HALF got it anyway. Even some of the younger ones that should have been "immune". Started an epidemic, and fortunately, we had not visited them recently. I cannot imagine what might happen if my son got that.

Sorry, rant over. Kymberli
fwlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #27
abbi_n_nadia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sharon, I totally agree that it IS definitely possible for them to make a mistake in a school! That is ridiculous to say that its impossible to make a mistake! It is always possible to make a mistake! I wouldn't be sending my kids to school that day either (if I had kids in school). And I don't think they should be giving them out in schools.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #28
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Except for DH who has to get them (military) we do not vax for flus. The baby (17 mos) and I are getting over the swine flu and IMO it is not worth the vax FOR US. If someone has asthma or something than maybe I'd get it b/c ds had some hard breathing and then you get this lingering cough that lasts forever.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #29
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic4cloth View Post
Thanks guys ! My whole thing is we don't go anywhere ds is homeschooled. I'm worried about the older boys because they are in public school but they stay with their dad for the school year. But the younger ones we really don't go anyplace. My dad freaks out because we stay home. I am a germaphobe. I carry hand sanitzer if I do have to go out. Its for appts or very limited I don't take the kids. Yes I'm supeRrrrrrr scared sun of it. But ya know a part of me thinks we had it already and just didn't get a positive on the test. I was really sick in july. High fevers etc had all symptoms but the quick test said negative. Wonder if its a plot to make population control???? Makes ya wonder
We got it b/c ds2 is at daycare and they just sneeze and snot and cough all over each other there. I'm really surprised this is the 1st time he has gotten sick so my supplements and BFing must be paying off. Three other kids in his small daycare class had it too.

My OB mentioned the shots to me, like "you know they recommend the flu shot for pregnant women" and I was like yeaahhh I know, but you know how I am about stuff like that and we both chuckled. If he really really thought that I should get it he would have voiced his opinion b/c he has before in the past about stuff.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #30
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, we will not be getting either vax! None of us have breathing problems and we are all healthy. DH(military) will be trying to avoid the H1N1 as long as he possibly can!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote