Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Is 11 days too early for c-section?!

So I'm due Dec 16th and my midwife informed me that they usually schedule csections for the 39th week of pregnancy. However, for selfish reasons I want the 7th which would put me at 38 weeks and 5days (almost 39).

Reasoning: DH and I were married 8-17, DS1 was born 8-27 (a year later) so I would like to keep the "7" in this baby's bday too! Heck if I had it my way I would have planned this one for 8-7, but that didn't happen! But is that too early???

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
new2allthis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is 11 days too early for c-section?!

I'm not too sure. But my SIL's due date was 11/15 and they scheduled her c section for 11/3. My nephew was a bit jaundiced and small (5lbs 9oz) but no real health issues.
new2allthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I say bring it up to your doc. Worst that can happen is they tell you no.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
kulaswifeandmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard doctors doing c-sections at 37 weeks after doing an amnio and seeing the babies lungs are mature..so I highly doubt that almost 39 weeks would be a problem
& Emris (6/27/11) Pregnant with #5, a boy! Due 11/10/14
kulaswifeandmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

my section is going to be scheduled for the 39th week that will be dec 7th. but the last 2 were at 38 weeks and ds4 section was at 38 weeks. I would just ask them. worst they can say is no. then you do everything you can to go into labor heheheh and then they cant refuse. i doubt ill make it to the 7th.
Love is compromise. Its accepting that both of you are diffrent. And learning to love the uniqueness of each other. Its learning to love those things which drive you nuts, and accepting them and not trying to change someone to how you want them to be.
fanatic4cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They gave me a choice of Nov 25th (which would put me at 38 wks 5 days also) or Nov 27th (39 weeks even). Neither of us wanted to consider Nov 26 - Thanksgiving - and since I didn't want to be in the hospital during turkey day I went with the 27th. They were a little flexible since my DD was born 5 days early, and she was BIG, so I guess they aren't worrying about the 2 extra days. But I suppose it depends on your dr! Like the pps said, sure doesn't hurt to ask
Old 10-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
hddr3mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have your same due date.

How sure are you that your due date is correct? The main reason they try not to schedule them too early is in case they are off on the due date and to make sure the lungs are fully developed. I don't think a few days at that point makes a difference but many hospitals have policies and are more likely to bump you or not allow it at all for liability reasons.
hddr3mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Well, my first DS was 10.3 at birth full term (late infact) so they are thinking this DS is going to be just as big or bigger (AHHH!) Anyway, since this one was a surprise and didn't know I was pregnant for the first trimester they did an ultrasound to measure and predict the due date so I'm not sure how right on they are?! I will just ask I really like my midwife and if she thinks it could be harmful I def will not do it, but like PP said "never hurts to ask".

Last edited by Crew&West; 10-10-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Just throwing this out there (LOL) what about scheduling for the 17th? You'd be 40w2d, and you may very well not have gone into labor before then. Do you have a condition that would render going into labor unsafe (such as placenta previa)? If not, that's another "7" option.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
MommyKrista
Registered Users

My Mood:

I hope you don't mind me butting in but I saw the title of this thread from the main screen. I was reminded of this study when I read your post:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/07/c.section/

There is some concern and a study of over 13,000 women that showed elective c-sections before 39 weeks (according to the study, even just a few days before) double the chances of respiratory or other complications to baby. Another article I read mentioned that babies born in the 38th week (like yours would be) by elective c-section (so no medical reason or emergency) had 1.5 times risk of complications. Slim chance probably but obviously not worth it. Maybe you could have baby a day after your due date on Dec. 17th, especially if you're unsure of your date?? That would be cute too I know the wait is so lousy but if baby is meant to come earlier then you will go into labor before the scheduled c/s date!