Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #11
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone NOT use plastic bottles because they feel their not safe?

I've been trying to phase out plastic... DS does eat on plastic though as his high chair is plastic. I don't really know what to do about that one. And I certainly drink out of plastic CONSTANTLY but bottled water is 100 x's better than drinking out of the faucet here. My microwave I barely use though so I don't heat anything plastic in it. Usually, even if its something that can easily be microwaved, I stick it in the oven instead.

Advertisement

urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #12
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I am wondering why plastic is a problem? I love my plastic, I actually prefer to drink out of plastic rather than glass or metal. I guess I am clueless about the dangers? I grew up using plastic-don't remember any glass cups in my house other than wine glasses, I use tupperware cups, plastic water bottles, the babies use plastic bottles, I send the kids w/lunch in tupperware, I store leftover/food in tupperware, and you better not even think of taking my microwave away from me, cuz that just won't be happening, we all love the microwave!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #13
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

we used the with ds and then also used them at the hospital for dd when she was force weaned
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #14
mrsjune
Banned
seller

My Mood:

We dont use bottles, but we do use tupperware and stuff that is plastic.
mrsjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:46 PM   #15
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Nope.. I prefer plastic! EVERYTHING can kill you now. If I believe all that I read or hear. We would have been dead years ago. I refuse to live my life in fear.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:38 AM   #16
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingos77 View Post
Nope.. I prefer plastic! EVERYTHING can kill you now. If I believe all that I read or hear. We would have been dead years ago. I refuse to live my life in fear.
me too...and id be to worried about glass bottles breaking everytime Mikey threw them when he was done with it...and have you held glass bottles?? They are so heavy, one whack from mikey swinging his bottles around I think would knock out what little teeth he has....I think the plastic is the least of my worries..Im more afraid of some one kidnaping him ...
Old 01-15-2007, 04:21 AM   #17
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not trying to start a debate, just jurious but who has dithed their Nalgene bottle and gone wiht a Kleen aluminum container or something else.....
we are HUGE Nalgene users in our house and this is concern for dh and I. what to replace them with? I am not crazy about the taste of stainless steel.

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #18
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

We use plastic around our house as little as possible... everyone thinks we are crazy for doing so, and that it isnt a big deal. But you can't be too careful w/ your children imo. Whenever I freeze breastmilk, I put it in evenflo glass bottles only... DH heats up water, and drops it in there. Once it is the right temperature, he will switch it to an avent bottle b/c that is the only nipple DD will drink out of. As long as I am not changing the temperatute, b/c as I understand that is when plastics release chemicals, than I use plastic b/c often there is no other option (like sippy cups and the like...) I buy Voss water at the store and we keep those for our water bottles instead of refilling a plastic one... most of our "tupperware" is glass pyrex....
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #19
A'smommy
Registered Users

I prefer not to heat anything in plastic; I will use ceramic plates or Pyrex instead. But I have plastic glasses and DD drinks from plastic sippies mostly because of a nasty cut I got a few years ago. I was washing a glass and it shattered, cutting my knuckle down to the bone. They said it was a miracle I didn't cut any tendons because I would have needed surgery. (It was my dominant hand, too!)

So, yes, plastic is (sometimes) my friend.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #20
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

The kids and I use glass cups or our siggs. I have the plastic cups way up high, though when dh's with them he gives them to them.

As babies if they had a bottle it was never heated. I had the water sitting out room temp and added the powder then gave them to them. Drove my mother nuts that I never heated their bottles.lol