Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #21
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone NOT use plastic bottles because they feel their not safe?

We are slowly phasing out of plastics at our house. Emma is starting to play with a bottle (not really for eating, just for snacking) and she has one glass bottle that I use.
I have been tossing out my plastic bowls and cups, and going with natural stuff.
We've been trying not to use the microwave, either.

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #22
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used the Evenflo glass bottles for Claire, and we never had a problem w/ breakage or anything like that. However, she's breastfed, so she only had about 1 or 2 bottles of expressed bm per day, and it was at daycare, so she never really fed herself (e.g. ran around w/the bottle). The kids do have sippys that are plastic, but they are the safer #5 instead of the polycarbonate (like Nalgene or Avent bottles). It's the PC that is the type of plastic most likely to release toxins when heated, PP (polypropylene) is safer (it is the softer, cloudier plastic). We also try to avoid heating foods in any plastic containers - we still have Tupperware, but I transfer to a ceramic plate or bowl before putting it in the micro.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #23
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I just skimmed all the replies, I have plastic. DD has little plastic plates, and bowles, and we use mostly plastic sippy cups. I try to only mic. with food on glass and I dont really use the mic. that much anyway.

I, too, am one of those thinkers "everything will give you cancer" kinda person. My Uncle says drinking too much Diet soda will give you cancer - eh, maybe, maybe not? Anything and everything can give you cancer. Pumping gas, breathing the freaking air (at least in CA), going to the dentist (anyone ever notice those signs - it might just be in CA - that say "Supples used in this office are known to so and so state to cause cancers and may cause birth defects"

With that said, I did invest in a SIGG bottle for DD and we've used it once - she cant really drink out of it well as of yet. But, I am getting her a Klean Kanteen w/sippy spouts in the coop. So, I'm definitley not opposed to making better choices, but the the PP said I cant just afford to dump it all out and go buy all new 15 dollar sippy cups.

Phew. Didnt mean for this to get so long winded. And, to answer your question LOL if for whatever reason a future child needed a bottle I would definitley look into glass bottles while they are young infants and breakage wouldnt be an issue.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #24
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostermomcchr View Post
I am wondering why plastic is a problem? I love my plastic, I actually prefer to drink out of plastic rather than glass or metal. I guess I am clueless about the dangers? I grew up using plastic-don't remember any glass cups in my house other than wine glasses, I use tupperware cups, plastic water bottles, the babies use plastic bottles, I send the kids w/lunch in tupperware, I store leftover/food in tupperware, and you better not even think of taking my microwave away from me, cuz that just won't be happening, we all love the microwave!
It's something about when plastic changes temperature (mostly hot, like nuking food in a tupperware in the mic) it releases a chemical that may be known to cause some type of cancer, I think that is it? I'm not 100% sure. I've heard it be talked about on the news, but I dont actually know if there is SOLID fact around this.

Also, if say water sits in a plastic bottle for too long the chemical leaches its way into the water.

I dont know if anyone has heard of Penta water (its a brand) and it costs a small fortune for one 8oz bottle of it (like 1.50, compare that to a whole 24 bottle case I can pick up a Trader Joes for 3.99) and they I guess make a plastic that is chemical free.

So, there ya go. I'm sure you could google it if you're really interested in knowing and get some more solid information.

Last edited by OneFabMama; 01-15-2007 at 09:29 PM.
OneFabMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 PM   #25
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I had read/heard of water in plastic leaches chemicals, but also heard/read that studies were inconclusive. I just think that there is so much that if we do this, eat that, breath this, etc, we will get cancer, we just can't live that way-shoot, you can live the healthiest life and still have a problem or get cancer. I figyre that if I live a happy, healthy life that God will call me home when he needs me in Heaven and that is all I can do for myself and my family.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #26
kknutzen
Registered Users
seller

We are pretty much part of the no plastic group. All glass bottles, glass food storage, no microwave, sigg & kleen kanteens and PVC free shower curtain. We just try to make choices we feel good about when we can. Of course, DS has a few plastic toys and loves them!
kknutzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #27
Kahlan
Registered Users

we used plastic with ds.. although until he weaned most came from me, and not a bottle (sometimes expressed milk though).

I never heat bm in the microwave though (although more on a concern for hotspots)

The thing is, I don't know about where you live, but here our water comes in plastic lines to the house. pvc I think? and if we wanted bottled water instead, well its in pastic too! so I try not to stress about it too much. it isn't even possible to get water out here that isn't contained in plastic one way or the other, so that is why I decided not to switch over ds's sippy cups. the water comes in plastic anyway, so why switch to our kleen kanteen?
Kahlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #28
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:

Ok so before we had my DS, I sat down and had a big long talk with DH about our health and the health of our soon to be borns son... We made some changes.. I was like everyone else, not enough money to whip out and spend on new Glass Tupperware, or get different bottles that had already been bought for us through baby showers... I found online one day glass bottles for 1.00 a piece, I bought 3. My son only gets a bottle a day anyway... When DH gets home he can sit and bond with DS and feed him a bottle.. I then got online and sold all my NEW bottles on Ebay.. Cause they were all plastic, I did not care... Made some money that way... I tell you I had tons of plastic tupperware to... We used that stuff like crazy.. Got rid of it all slowly.. Now we only have glass pyrex, and I love it!!!!

I have had no issues with breakage... And plan on useing glass on my future kids... I am currently looking into Siggs and other good sippy cups.. Just means I have to sell off more things we dont need lol..

As for the microwave.. Very rarely do I use it... I really try hard to refrain from it.. Its more of a convience then anything..

We also only use natural soap products with no laurly leth or whatever its called..

I know some say its crazy, not to worry about it.. But my DH was a hypercondract, (spelled wrong) before we were together... When I met him he was a mess... I had alot of work to do on him before I got him to calm down... He takes vitamins and eats healthy now, and really says he feels better all together... So who knows...

Here is the site I used for personal products that are natural..
http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/advanced.php

here is where you can get inexpensive glass bottles.
http://store.babycenter.com/product/...e.do?asc=false

website with alot of healthy information
http://www.care2.com/
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote