Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
MamaStace
Registered Users

Re: How do I get ds to sleep longer?

Thanks for all of your hugs and advice. . .

We do have a pretty good routine. DS naps in the morning for about an hour, then at 3:30 I put him down for his second nap (usually 1-2 hours). At 7:30, it's his bedtime. (he eats, gets a bath, nurses before bedtime) He's usually alert when I put him down, and he puts himself to sleep. That's the part I don't get. He's fine going down, but if he wakes up on his own he just wants mommy. And I've rocked him, cradled him, walked him thru the house, but unless I Nurse him he just screams. Last night I Thought surely he won't scream forever, but after 45 minutes he was still going strong and I felt AWFUL. (DH is out of town so I'm having trouble coping with everything this week!) I finally took ds to bed with me last night and we dozed/nursed for several hours. USUALLY when i've tried this he fusses after he's satisfied his belly until I put him back in the crib. Go figure.

I've heard other good things about healthy sleep habits, healthy child. I'll add that to my reading list!!!

thanks, mamas. I'm glad i'm not the only one.

Advertisement

MamaStace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:19 AM   #12
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

Routine, routine, routine. Maybe it might need some tweeking though so that you all can get some sleep (can't hurt to try right?). Maybe 7:30 is too early for bedtime. I know many parents put there kids down at that time, but it just doesn't work for us. I have a 6 mo too (10-18-05) and she naps 3 times during the day. She has never had to wake up and cry at night (yet) because she is very content with her routine. If she awakens, I give Cam'rynn her pacifier and walk out. I NEVER PICK HER UP. Here is her schedule {It isn't hard or too scheduled, it is her natural schedule and I just stick to it}:

7:30am-wake up, change dipe, milk
8:00am-stimulation
9:00am-rice cereal & chill time (to unwind and
prevent overstimulation)

9:30am-nap
10:30am-wakes up, change dipe, milk
11:00am-stimulation
12:30pm-veggies and fruit & chill time
1:00pm-nap
4:00pm-wakes up, change dipe, milk
4:30pm-stimulation
6:30pm-rice cereal & chill time
7:00pm-nap
8:00pm-wakes up, change dipe, no milk
8:30pm-stimulation (but not too hyper)
9:00pm-bath=chill time
9:30pm-rice cereal, milk bedtime

If she isn't awake by a certain time, I wake her up. She sleeps until 7:30 or sometimes 8 (and yes, sometimes a quarter to 7). She has been on this schedule since she was 2 months old (I would have started earlier but I was hospitalized after childbirth for a severe infection). She is happy and has almost tripled her birth weight from 6lb14oz - 17lb4oz. Not all babies are the same though. I just thought maybe by hearing someone else's routine, it would help.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:10 AM   #13
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

((hugs)) mamastace...i know any sleep issues we have always seem that much worse when dh is out of town. it's hard having to do it all.

it sounds like he's got a good routine and i would serious suspect that his waking is something like teething. is he showing any other signs (lots of chewing, drooling, nasty poop, etc.?)....maybe some pain relief would help you both get some sleep.

he's also probably going through a lot of developmental milestones to and that's always wrecked havoc with my dd's sleep.

just fyi - 6 months was about the time that dd consolidated to a 2 nap schedule so i think what he's doing is pretty normal.

if you nurse him how long does it take for him to go back to sleep? i'm not a lot of help here since we co-sleep & i've always nursed dd to sleep/back to sleep. i figured nursing her was the easiest for me but that was also partly b/c of the cosleeping thing...i wouldn't have enjoyed stumbling to the crib 3 times a night either.

hope you get some sleep soon.

katie
Old 04-25-2006, 06:41 AM   #14
Carrie
Registered Users

5-6 months was a really hard time for us too. We also used Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, and we followed it pretty much by the book. That did involve some crying, and it was really hard, but worth it. Not so much for our own sleep, though I have to admit it was nice, but for my twin boys' well-restedness and happiness. We also consulted our pediatrician. Although we cut out night feedings (this was per our ped., not HSHHC), they actually gained weight when they started sleeping through the inght. Even if you don't want to do CIO HSHHC can still help. The No Cry Sleep Solution didn't help us much. It is helpful if your DC is having a lot of trouble falling asleep, but I don't recall that she had much advice about getting them to stay asleep.
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:27 AM   #15
newuanda
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaStace
Thanks for all of your hugs and advice. . .

We do have a pretty good routine. DS naps in the morning for about an hour, then at 3:30 I put him down for his second nap (usually 1-2 hours). At 7:30, it's his bedtime. (he eats, gets a bath, nurses before bedtime) He's usually alert when I put him down, and he puts himself to sleep. That's the part I don't get. He's fine going down, but if he wakes up on his own he just wants mommy. And I've rocked him, cradled him, walked him thru the house, but unless I Nurse him he just screams. Last night I Thought surely he won't scream forever, but after 45 minutes he was still going strong and I felt AWFUL. (DH is out of town so I'm having trouble coping with everything this week!) I finally took ds to bed with me last night and we dozed/nursed for several hours. USUALLY when i've tried this he fusses after he's satisfied his belly until I put him back in the crib. Go figure.

I've heard other good things about healthy sleep habits, healthy child. I'll add that to my reading list!!!

thanks, mamas. I'm glad i'm not the only one.
So weird that sounds exactly like last night with DS. He's the same way. He's still waking up at 11 months and I'm not sure why. We wait about 5 minutes, go in rock, etc. etc. etc. Do all that stuff. Just not working. I get so tired of it all and I'm just dead during the day. I'm going to have to find that book. In a way it makes you feel like you are doing something wrong as a mother when other people have babies that sleep just fine through the night when they are 4 weeks old.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:15 AM   #16
momeeboys
Registered Users

11 mo here. He wakes up a lot during the night. I do what works for us, and that is co-sleeping. Hopefully it is teething.
momeeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:50 AM   #17
MamaStace
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuanda
So weird that sounds exactly like last night with DS. He's the same way. He's still waking up at 11 months and I'm not sure why. We wait about 5 minutes, go in rock, etc. etc. etc. Do all that stuff. Just not working. I get so tired of it all and I'm just dead during the day. I'm going to have to find that book. In a way it makes you feel like you are doing something wrong as a mother when other people have babies that sleep just fine through the night when they are 4 weeks old.
You're so right, I feel like a failure of a mother!!!!!! I was up SIX times with him last night! Tho i suspect he's not feeling his very best. He cried in bed nursing so finally I said (in total exhaustion) if you're going to cry,, you might as well cry in your crib and let mommy get some rest. My dh (who came home yesterday!!) finally rescued ds and took him for a little walk and changed his diaper in the wee hours of this am. This just can't go on . . .I checked out Healthy Sleep Habits Happy child from the library. PLEASE let it hve some answers!

MamaStace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #18
vick
You know me; not much with the damseling.
seller

I was getting frustrated with DD's sleep, to the point wher I was considering kicking her out of our room and into her own room, but yesterday someone posted this Kellymom link about nightwaking over at MDC. It's written about a 4-month-old, but I think the logic behind it carries over to any age, especially the "milestone" ages where they pick up new physical skills or have a new cognitive skill (i.e. separation anxiety and the development of sense of self around 9-10 months). I read this yesterday and it was like absolution - I was immediately back in zen mommy mode and completely okay with her nightwaking
Old 04-27-2006, 09:34 AM   #19
~Woollybottoms Mama~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought I was the only one with a babe that had to put himself to sleep in hiw OWN little bed. I tried the co-sleeping thing even as an infant and he squirmed and wiggled until I laid him in HIS bed. Totally weird. He also has never really let me rock him to sleep either. My daughter was the total opposite, so I was pretty much until I gave in to how he was. Caleb would wake up at night too (and still does occasionally but he goes right back to sleep within minutes) and I was always wondering what he needed. He was full, dry, etc. Getting him up would actually disrupt the whole sleep pattern thing. They get to expect just getting up and that develops into a hard to break pattern. I had always been a anti-pacifier person from day 1. My daughter NEVER used one. Caleb tends to be a self-soother, so this worked really great for us. He only wanted it at bed time, just long enough to fall asleep. Nursing, rocking, cuddling, all that great stuff just did not work with him. I also found keeping the room totally dark helped him to go right back to sleep too. It is weird how 2 kids in the same house can be te-totally different. This time will pass though -- I promise.
~Woollybottoms Mama~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #20
LimeInTheCoconut
Registered Users

Yup, we're going through a similar thing here, and it's definitely due to teething. I have an amber necklace on the way...is it EVER going to get here?

In the meantime, we have discovered one thing that seems to be helping, in addition to the Hyland's teething tablets and the Anbesol: a white sound machine. Ds still wakes up, but it's much easier to get him back to sleep those times that he wakes up and isn't hungry. (If he's hungry, he can usually just nurse back to sleep.)

Ours is called a Sound Spa, and we got it at Walgreens for 19.99. It's also an alarm clock (not that you'll want to be using THAT function!). The speaker is really crappy, but the ocean sounds works well for ds. Just make sure if you get one that it will play continuously, not just shut off after 60 minutes or whatever.
LimeInTheCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote