Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
amholb0
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How many bottles will I need?

My plan is to go back to work and pump. I'm trying to figure out how many botttlesI need. I'm going to use the platex drop-ins so, I can use the bags to store the milk. Any ideas on how many I need of each size? -Annie

Advertisement

amholb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many bottles will I need?

It depends on how many feedings you will miss while you're at work and how much your little one eats per feeding (or how much you can pump at once).

I recommend the book The Nursing Mother's Companion. There is an appendix in the back that will help you figure out how many ounces your baby should be eating per feeding or per day based on the baby's weight. You can use that info to figure out how many bottles to get.
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
JerBearsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since breastmilk changes as the caloric needs of the baby changes, you don't have to increase the volume much over time. My DS is 10 months of EBF and we still use the 4 ounce size of these bottles. My DS rarely takes more than 4-5 ounces a feeding so we have the bigger 8 ounce bottles that never get used b/c we bought the starter pack. We have 4 - 4 ounce bottles that we use and wash frequently. But, I only work 2-3 days a week and sometimes they bring him to me for me to nurse him directly. Depends how often you want to wash bottles and how many feedings your LO gets from a bottle each day.

Last edited by JerBearsMama; 10-08-2009 at 12:13 PM.
JerBearsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I send 2 bottles with 3 oz each. DD is almost 6 months old, and I don't think I will ever send more than 4 oz in a bottle even as she gets bigger. Sometimes she finishes both bottles, other times just one of them.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you end up buying the bigger bottle size, make sure you buy extra Level 1 nipples (the bigger bottles come with the level 2 nipples)! A bf baby really never needs anything bigger than a Level 1 nipple!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Mommy-Stacy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have 4-4oz bottles and 4-8oz bottles. DD went to the 8oz bottles when she was 5 months old. She was a PIGGY! lol...DS is still only taking 2-3oz/feeding he is a snacker.

It is kind of a trial and error deal, you have to see how LO eats...babies are so different...
Stacy Active Duty Air Force Medic and LPN (soon to be IDMT!) wife to Joshua (SAHD/full-time student) Mommy to angels Kaidyns Marianne and Nathaniel David (12/08/03-12/08/03), long awaited rainbow baby
Natalie Lauralei
(05/01/07), angels AJ (1/6/08@6weeks) and Jacey Levi(7/13/08@13weeks), surprise rainbow baby Judah Michael (7/30/09) EBF/pumping exclusively CDing
my FSOT
Mommy-Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am the over preparing type so we have TONS of bottles, but I would say if you are going to work full time and want to have enough bottles for two days I would have around six. I never used the drop ins so I don't know if it would be easier to have less with these, but I would send three bottles with DS1 and some days would forget to wash bottles so I would want to have at least six, but it will also depend on how your daycare works. The first on we went to rinsed everything but didn't wash, however the one we ended up moving to washed everything thoroughly so we just sent milk in containers and they used the bottle we left at school and just washed it.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use 5 a day. DH only uses one 4oz, he keeps washing it and refilling it from a 10oz bottle. I have the 2 4oz attached to my pump, and I dump into a big 10oz bottle that I leave in the fridge for the next day.

I feel like the dropins waste a lot, I may be imagining it. We FFed the first week and there was always about an ounce left that he couldn't get out. And when you are talking hard pumped milk, an ounce is a big deal.

He was also a NB, and they don't suck very hard, compared to older babies. Like now at 6m I'm pretty sure he could collapse a bottle if he wanted.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
littlemunchkie09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also feel like the drop-ins are a bit wasteful. Are you totally set on them? I have a friend who is going to use them and I am trying to convince her otherwise.
They are also plastic which we try to avoid. Even if they are BPA free, they might have lead, phalates, nitrosamines.
I'd generally recommended not to store food in plastic and not to expose that food to extreme temperatures (ie freezing and reheating) You can freeze your pumped milk in glass bottles! Just leave room for them to expand.