Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

New to Mama cloth...

I am thinking about trying out some Mama Cloth. Opinions from those of you who use it? I don't know where to even start.

Are there any cons?

Favorite brands? I looked at Talulah Bean's website but that's as far as I've gotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: New to Mama cloth...

Only con I really feel is being out and about all day is a bit more difficult, especially as I don't typically carry a purse and my children are all way past diaper bag stage.

I would tell you my favorite brand, but she is not longer allowed to ship to the US, so I'm searching for a few favorite.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Only con I really feel is being out and about all day is a bit more difficult, especially as I don't typically carry a purse and my children are all way past diaper bag stage.

I would tell you my favorite brand, but she is not longer allowed to ship to the US, so I'm searching for a few favorite.

Thanks! I am a bag fanatic and still carry a diaper bag. Also, I wouldn't have to be out all day if I didn't want to be so that's easily managed.
Thank you for the insight.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #4
CharmedMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a*b*ss
seller
seller

MotherMoonPads! Love her mama cloth. I've used mama cloth for almost eight years now and have tried so many pads from different makers...definitely prefer her pads.
Now expecting baby #6!
My Etsy Store: The Mom and Tot Shop
CharmedMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #5
missymae26
Registered Users
seller
seller

My only mama cloth experience has been during the postpartum stage since my period hasn't returned yet. I can honestly say, I was just a wee bit skeptical of using cloth pads and how they would hold up, absorbency wise. I just changed my pad when I used the restroom and never had any issues with absorbency. DS3 was born in August so it was nice to have the cloth pads instead of plastic pads during that time of the year. I was completely blown away by how easy it was dealing with pp bleeding (not that pp bleeding is a huge deal to begin with, just more of a pita). I don't go out a lot during the first month after birth so dealing with it while out of the house wasn't an issue for me. I bought from a DS WHAM - Gem Cloth - and cannot imagine a better experience then working with Michelle. Great pads, great price and its an added bonus that she's a DS mom
Eta: after reading my post I noticed I rambled a bit:/ hopefully it makes sense...

Last edited by missymae26; 03-23-2016 at 10:06 PM.
missymae26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #6
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I'm loving all the replies. I have been very skeptical myself. But now it's starting to make a lot of sense. I've always hated disposable pads so I've used tampons my whole life. But now I'm beginning to think about the chemicals in them and what my daughters will use eventually.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

The idea of washing them used to just gross me out but after years of hot,nasty plastic feeling pads ,I got over it. I have been using them for 7 years and I will never go back they just feel so much better than disposables. I wouldn't buy them though ,they are so expensive and ridiculously easy to make. You can even use preemie prefolds. I would find a disposable pad you like and use that as a pattern. Then just add padding depending on what you need. I use scraps and have snap pliers from Kam snaps but if you use something like fleece as a backing ,I find they stay put without any closure. It takes less than 10 mins to cut and sew and I have a whole stash of different absorbencies.

Last edited by booty hunter; 03-23-2016 at 10:57 PM.
booty hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #8
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by booty hunter View Post
The idea of washing them used to just gross me out but after years of hot,nasty plastic feeling pads ,I got over it. I have been using them for 7 years and I will never go back they just feel so much better than disposables. I wouldn't buy them though ,they are so expensive and ridiculously easy to make. You can even use preemie prefolds. I would find a disposable pad you like and use that as a pattern. Then just add padding depending on what you need. I use scraps and have snap pliers from Kam snaps but if you use something like fleece as a backing ,I find they stay put without any closure. It takes less than 10 mins to cut and sew and I have a whole stash of different absorbencies.

Yes. The thought of them weirded me out too. I thought it was disgusting. But now I'm just over it, like you said. Good idea on the preemie prefolds! However, my machine is down right now. Where do you get that type of fleece people are always talking about on here? Do they have it at regular fabric stores? What kind is it? I have never seen anything but the Christmas fleece used for pajama pants.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:40 PM   #9
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I love my tree hugger mama cloth.

And now I use a sckoon cup. Which kind of grossed me out at first but I'm such a heavy bleeder I'd soak through everything in an hour (using a pp pad). Now with the cup I don't leak at all.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:41 AM   #10
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Yes. The thought of them weirded me out too. I thought it was disgusting. But now I'm just over it, like you said. Good idea on the preemie prefolds! However, my machine is down right now. Where do you get that type of fleece people are always talking about on here? Do they have it at regular fabric stores? What kind is it? I have never seen anything but the Christmas fleece used for pajama pants.

I have always used the blizzard or no pill fleece from Joanns or Walmart. Pretty much any fleece has worked as long as it wasn't a micro or very thin fleece. It is very similar to making diapers,your absorbant layers are the most important. So if you have leaks add more or different absorbency. I have also used pul scraps for the backing but I didn't like it because it was more slippery and hotter.