Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #21
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~Mama Cloth~ Testimonial Thread

Ok, so I didn't know all this about MC...I just thought people used it to avoid putting more gross stuff in landfills. I didn't know that it is supposed to make your periods shorter/lighter!! I haven't used it before (obviously), so how many pads do you have? I haven't gotten my period back yet after DD #2, so I haven't even had to deal with any of this stuff for over a year now. I do remember my first cycle after DD #1 was SO HEAVY my DH almost took me to the ER. So what do you consider a stash for your time of the month? How much does it all cost (I realize some would be more expensive than others). Do you wash it separately or with diapers? Or with other laundry? I don't mean to hijack the testimonials thread, so if you want to PM me with answers, that would be great! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #22
Jennie_in_Iowa
Registered Users

My Mood:

I used momma cloth during my post-partum bleeding. LOVED 'em.
Everything I hated with disposables: mountains of trash, weird smells, sticky stuff that sticks to everything except my panties, leaks, feeling like my only choice was an uncomfortable tampon or an uncomfortable pad, all of it, GONE. I'm never going back to disposables.
I kept a small bucket with water in the bathroom but now that I know I like the cloth I'm making a wetbag to replace the bucket.
I washed them in the hot water cycle with the diapers.

As for the question about work, momma cloth is no harder to get to the bathroom than disposable pads are. If your purse won't do it, a jacket pocket would. Just make or buy a small bag for the dirties, and keep it plain colored. :-D
Handfasted to my love Dave. Mommy to Rowen born 3-31-09 and expecting #2 in May.
I grow our food and sew organic baby diapers! I blog about it here.
Jennie_in_Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #23
EmmaLaurel
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, so HOLD THE PHONE: I had no idea about this mama cloth stuff and shorter/lighter periods with fewer cramps?!?!?! Is there SERIOUSLY stuff in the disposable pads/tampons that make you bleed more? EEEK! Any articles or stories you can point us to?

I am on Mirena and my DD is BF, so no periods for me these days, but I sure could have used some mama cloth post-partum. I ended up using a pack of Gerber flats that someone had given us when they found out we were CDing. The disposable pads literally made me cry, they hurt so much up next to all the post-birth trauma. Gah, makes me cringe just thinking about it.

May have to try some of this mama cloth if I ever start getting periods again!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #24
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamastep View Post
ok i have really been wanting to switch, but really the only thing holding me back is work - what do i do while i'm at work?

get a mama pad bag!! *wink wink nudge nudge*

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #25
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to have really bad periods, where I was unable to do anything really...had to leave work, hurt to stand, no matter what I took, it didn't seem to help much. Since I switched over a year ago now, I haven't needed to take anything for pain relief, and they are also shorter in length. And yes, no itching, chafing, etc, like with sposie pads.

I've also heard that there are chemicals in both pads and tampons to make you bleed more so you use more product, and wouldn't be surprised if the makers of PMS drugs were also in on that.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #26
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
I personally think that it doesn't necessarily get "lighter" but there is less flow on the pad. Possibly TMI but I find that when I go to the bathroom it pours out now and then I end up with very little between bathroom visits on the actual mama cloth compared to when I used sposies and it was a constant flow coming out as they say the paper/plastic/chemicals draw it out of you. I much prefer it now as it seems to be more effective and makes my period shorter. A diva cup would probably be a good choice for tampon users.
ditto! I used mc for the first time pp with ds2 - it was amazing! I HATED the sposie pads with pp for ds1 and so I built up a beautiful stash of mc. I expected to need a lot of heavier flow pads but found that most of my flow came out when using the bathroom, they were so comfy - it made the pp flow much more manageable. I used sea sponges for AF, and I might again when PPAF returns but I may just keep using my MC - unless swimming, playing volleyball, etc.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #27
Bellibowbottoms
Registered Users
Formerly: bumblebeej
seller
seller

My Mood:

Downhome Funky Goodness right here on DS.
Bellibowbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #28
JerBearsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

awesome info. thanks...you've convinced me to try it!!
JerBearsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #29
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh my gosh! DS will convert me to a full-fledged crunch-o-holic yet! I was tempted to try them but was a little shy due to the onset expense but I think I may need to try. Well, once DD#3 arrives that is
Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #30
1sttimemom2B
Banned

I want to get the Diva Cup for when my periods return, but I know I'll feel more comfortable wearing liners along with it during that time of the month. I'm willing to try MC liners! Anyone know of anywhere I can find patterns/instructions on how to make them by yourself at home?
1sttimemom2B is offline   Reply With Quote