Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

VBAC birth of a 9.5 lb baby girl, Addyson!

Birth Story
I went to the dr on August 24th (Monday) and had them strip my membranes, which started contractions. I went into l&d on the 25th at about 8pm and was having contractions every 2 minutes for a minutes, we went mostly because of the closeness of them, not because I was in pain. I was only dilated 1-2 and 40% effaced, so I went home. It turned out to be a good thing because they were super busy that night and the Dr that would be backing up my midwife was the evil one that told me I was going to die and kill my child by having a vbac.... I continued to have contractions ALL WEEK! It was enough to be annoying and uncomfortable, we tried everything to either to get them to stop or get more intense, but it didn't work. Finally, Friday night it started getting rough. We timed them for a while and then just decided to go to sleep and if they woke me up then we would know.
Well I woke up Saturday morning (the 29th) at about 3 am. Contractions were getting more and more painful. I got on my birth ball for awhile and bounced around, took a shower, finally about 4:30 I wake up my hubby and we sit trying to figure out what to do. We finally decide to go into the hospital and so we call my mom to come watch the kids. We get into l&d about 6am and they check me. 1-2 cm 60% effaced I was so disappointed that I had been working so hard all freaking week and still nothing. They decided to keep me because I was having good, strong, regular contractions, I was 5 days overdue and I was on my 3rd kiddo so things could move really fast.
The midwife was wonderful, she just let me be, gave me suggestions to get things going. I was able to eat breakfast, take showers, walk the halls... I had brought my ipod and headphones so that I could listen to my music without disturbing anyone else but the insisted that I get our speaker dock so that they could hear and be part of our experience better. It was very cool, because 90% of my music was worship music and all the nurses really liked it.
Around lunch time I started getting nauseous, so I didn't eat the food they brought. My bff (who was due 2 weeks after me) came by around 1 to see if she could catch some labor vibes. I had them check me at 3:30 and I was only 4cm and 90% effaced. I was so disappointed things weren't moving faster. I had all those horrible thoughts that I just couldn't keep doing this. We had a shift change and I got the head midwife, she was a little more "doctorly" so the first thing they did was get me an IV, luckily they got it with the first try. My friend left and it was just back to me and my hubby at about 4pm. I wasn't getting any breaks in the contractions and was really starting to lose control. I kept thinking I can't keep doing this for hours and hours, here I am only 4cm.... Well then my body started pushing with contractions.
I tell my husband and he goes to get the midwife at 5pm. They check me again and I am 8cm now. I have her break my water and my body just kept pushing. She had me roll over on my sides for a couple contractions just to see if I would finish dilating. They start setting up the room for a delivery and all I could do when I would have my eyes open was look at the clock waiting for it all to be done. At 5:30 she declared me fully dilated (finally ) and Addyson Joy arrived at 5:51, sunny side up.
They immediately put her on my belly and tell me she is huge. I don't believe them because she didn't feel any bigger then my son (who was 8.5lbs). They start sewing me up (I ended up with 3 2nd degree tears, she came too fast and had a mammoth head that didn't cone at all, so I had one on my epi scar and then one on each side wall, OUCH! ) and they just let Addy be on my belly, she nursed and she was so alert and awake. She didn't even really cry at all. They let me have the delayed cord cutting, but they did end up giving me poticin after the birth without my consent. After about an hour they take a weigh her, 9.5 lbs. Everyone was shocked, they had all seen my belly before and kept telling me there was no 8lb baby in there, well they were right.
I am so glad I was able to have her vaginally, I knew I could have big babies, since my son was 8.5 vaginal, and my daughter was only 7.7lb but breech. It also has opened up doors, because we had decided if I couldn't have my vbac I probably wouldn't have any more babies because I couldn't get pregnant knowing I would probably have to have surgery and no dr's would even talk to me after 2 c-sections about a vbac. So if we have another, I think I will be going for my water/home birth.

1 Month Update
Took her to the Dr. Monday and she is 11.2 lbs and 23 inches. He said she was as healthy as could be and is in the 95% for height and weight. We have been blessed with another great gift, she nurses well, sleeps well and is really happy and content. We are already getting smiles from her

Advertisement

msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
KaysieW003
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Addyson's Long, Very Long, VBAC birth

Wow! What a wonderful experience! Good things come to those who wait...Look how beautiful miss Addyson is! Congrats
Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Titus2woman
Registered Users

OH is she WORTH IT! What a BEAUTIFUL baby!!!! (((((HUGS))))) and thanks for sharing your story! ~sandi
Old 09-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
bessaroni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Beautiful little girl!
Need cute wall decals? Mention DiaperSwappers and get 15% off at WillowCreekSigns.
bessaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh she's precious congrats on the VBAC!
crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
momma2Mimi07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um, She is just about the cutest thing EVER!!! Congrats on your Blessing Momma!
Expecting Sweet Baby#3 in Early May
momma2Mimi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2Mimi07 View Post
Um, She is just about the cutest thing EVER!!! Congrats on your Blessing Momma!
I agree!!!
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Starr5678
Registered Users
seller

Lovely story and lovely little girl! Congrats on the successful VBAC!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

Thank you! We are so blessed to have her
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on your angel and a successful VBAC! I'm hoping for one myself in a few months.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote