Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy I think it's over

I'm so sad, but I think nursing my ds is about over. This past week I feel like there is nothing in there for him. He's still nursing, but getting frustrated that there isn't much in there/it isn't coming out fast enough. I guess for some reason I'm drying up already. I was so hoping to make it two more months until he was at least one so we wouldn't have to switch to formula, but I need to do what's best for my ds and I feel like continuing to exclusively breastfeed just isn't it anymore. I have no idea how much or how often babies need a bottle of formula. I feel so lost since I have no clue what I'm doing, and I feel like I should have been so much more careful about not getting pregnant again already. It's not that I'm not excited about a new baby, but I feel like my ds is going to suffer because of one night of making a stupid decision. I know formula won't hurt him, but I know breastmilk is best and breastfeeding is important to me.

Advertisement

cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
EmmaLaurel
Registered Users
seller

Re: I think it's over

mama. your ds has had 10 lucky months of BFing! what a wonderful gift you've given him! it's done him a world of good, i'm sure, and what another great gift you'll give him in a sibling to play with.

i am sure this is hard, though. it would be very hard for me i know. just remember what a great job you did nursing him this long.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
ajanele
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama, you made it 10 months, that's awesome! You could still bf and give formula if you wanted to, and once the baby comes your supply will return & you'll have 2 nurslings!

Whatever you decide, don't be hard on yourself, you gave your son a great gift, and an awesome start to life!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
jacobs_mom
Registered Users
seller

Oh Mama!!
I remember being so sad when I dried up at about 10 months like you are . . . and my little boy was so irritated with me when I would put him to my dry breast and try to get him to eat!!
It is OK . . . if you look at the big picture - you baby will be on whole milk in a couple months! So for you to have fed him breastmilk for most of his first year - and the most important part of his first year to have the breastmilk - you did a beautiful job!
Your new baby is needing your calories now - so your body is doing what it needs to do, and both of your babies are going to be perfect.
jacobs_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
apmomof4
Banned

i dried up for 3 months and my son continued to nurse (he was 2 years at the time). he never stopped nursing and my milk came in...so you dont have to wean. you can supplment now of course since he is so young, but you dont have to wean
apmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #6
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmomof4 View Post
i dried up for 3 months and my son continued to nurse (he was 2 years at the time). he never stopped nursing and my milk came in...so you dont have to wean. you can supplment now of course since he is so young, but you dont have to wean
I agree
Old 10-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

hugs. mama. just do what you have to do.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the support. I am still trying to nurse him throughout the day, and just supplement with formula so he's getting the calories he needs. I am hoping he's getting enough breastmilk to get some good antibodies for the nasty flu season we're going to have this year. I would love to be able to tandem nurse him once the baby arrives, so I'm definitely not quitting nursing cold turkey, I'm just sad I can't do my job as his mommy and give him what he needs. Thanks again for the encouragement. I'm lucky that my dh is the same way and wants me to continue nursing as I can as well as give ds the formula, so I have a great support system to get through this.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
luvmybubs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know this is a really personal decision, but I recently started taking a liquid supplement from Motherlove which is amazing. You can take this one while pregnant to help your supply:

http://motherlove.com/product_more_m..._glycerite.php

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
luvmybubs is offline   Reply With Quote