Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
idma2three
Registered Users
seller

How much milk???

In relation to how much you pump, how much milk does your LO eat?

My almost 4 month old DS eats anywhere from 4-6 oz a feeding 3-4 times in the 9hr time period that I am away from him. Most days he is going thru 16oz per day.

I pump at work and get anywhere from 12-20oz depending on when I pump and how many times. We always have extra bottles in the fridge and quite a freezer stash. I was just wondering how it all worked for others.

I know I am not able to empty my breasts with every pumping, but I seem to be maintaining more than enough of a supply for my DS.

Advertisement

idma2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
CrazedChris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much milk???

My LO is just over 2 months old and I pump way more than she eats. I usually freeze about 24 ozs a day plus have enough for her bottles for the day.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedChris View Post
My LO is just over 2 months old and I pump way more than she eats. I usually freeze about 24 ozs a day plus have enough for her bottles for the day.
wow that sounds great.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #4
metalchick1000
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd is 3 months and eats 4 ounces at her night feeding (we ep) and then starts off at 3 ounces in the morning and tapers down to 2.5 ounces at her last feeding. she does eat frequently but she has acid reflux and the smaller feedings help her tummy.
metalchick1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually pump about 18-20 oz a day and he takes 13 oz or less...depending on the day and how much he sleeps or if I nursed him just before leaving him or if it was an hour or so before, etc.
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i usually pump 12-16 oz/day, and DS eats 4-9 oz. i've donated everything i've frozen so far via milkshare, because i knew we were never going to need it.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I pump 5-6 oz per day and just send what I pumped today to daycare tomorrow. Sometimes she takes all of it, other times not.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by idma2three View Post
In relation to how much you pump, how much milk does your LO eat?

My almost 4 month old DS eats anywhere from 4-6 oz a feeding 3-4 times in the 9hr time period that I am away from him. Most days he is going thru 16oz per day.

I pump at work and get anywhere from 12-20oz depending on when I pump and how many times. We always have extra bottles in the fridge and quite a freezer stash. I was just wondering how it all worked for others.

I know I am not able to empty my breasts with every pumping, but I seem to be maintaining more than enough of a supply for my DS.
He is eating an awful lot....I would suggest going to the kellymom.com forums. I was told 4 ounces maximum of breastmilk per bottle. The general rule of thumb is 1 ounce per hour that baby is away from you. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html My ds has never had more than that, and he is 27 lbs at 13 months.
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
Carolina Kel
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 8 mo baby viking typically goes through 28-32 ounces a day plus 2 containers of purees. He was born preemie, and just started solids. I EP, so I pump around 64 ounces and freeze and donate what I have leftover.

I usually keep a 1-month stash in case something bad happens to me (you never know when that bus is going to run you over), and continuously donate the back-stock.
Carolina Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
jfoell
Registered Users

I'm dealing with mostly the same thing except, I'm not keeping up with how much he's *wanting* to eat. My husband cares for him during the day and many times, he'll end up thawing a 5 oz bag because 14 oz. aren't enough. He says our son is still hungry, shoving his hand in his mouth and generally frustrated. He's also using the low flow nipples but he'll finish a 5 oz. bottle in 2 or 3 minutes.

I'm only bringing home anywhere from 12-14 oz. maybe 16 oz. And I nurse him twice before bed. So do we limit him to what the calculation says (on kellymom.com) or do I just spend my day pumping and pumping for that extra oz or two?
jfoell is offline   Reply With Quote