Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much milk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoell View Post
I'm dealing with mostly the same thing except, I'm not keeping up with how much he's *wanting* to eat. My husband cares for him during the day and many times, he'll end up thawing a 5 oz bag because 14 oz. aren't enough. He says our son is still hungry, shoving his hand in his mouth and generally frustrated. He's also using the low flow nipples but he'll finish a 5 oz. bottle in 2 or 3 minutes.

I'm only bringing home anywhere from 12-14 oz. maybe 16 oz. And I nurse him twice before bed. So do we limit him to what the calculation says (on kellymom.com) or do I just spend my day pumping and pumping for that extra oz or two?
I would say let him have it! For me, I know my LO eats a lot. I felt like a family member was questioning me about how I was feeding him by quoting that 1 oz per hour rule to me as well. However, if he wants it and seems satisfied by having extra ounces, I'm giving it to him. I have done everything I can to up my supply to make sure I always have enough even when he wants to be a little pig. Who wants their sweet baby to be hungry and not be fed? With that being said, all mamas are different and that doesn't mean they aren't taking care of their children. I just feed my little piggy everytime he even acts remotely hungry. (He's 10 weeks and almost 13 lbs. I'm so proud!!)

I say pump it and feed that baby mama!!

Advertisement

Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
idma2three
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by theosmom View Post
He is eating an awful lot....I would suggest going to the kellymom.com forums. I was told 4 ounces maximum of breastmilk per bottle. The general rule of thumb is 1 ounce per hour that baby is away from you. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html My ds has never had more than that, and he is 27 lbs at 13 months.
Since my original post we have re-evaluated. I was sending quite a bit of milk everyday, I sent everything I pumped. And even if DS didn't 'need' it our DCP was feeding it to him. If he had 6 oz he only ate every 4 hrs instead of 4 oz every 2.5-3hrs. But he started eating so much. The DCP is used to formula fed babies, and is comparing mine to a friend's DD who is 1.5 months younger than mine. This little girl is eating 6oz of formula every 3 hrs. I now only send 4 3.5 oz bottles. I printed out the info on kellymom and spent some more time discussing what his needs are and stuff. I don't want to starve him, but she was really overfeeding him. He started spitting up and getting really agitated on days that he was fed so much. He is gaining fine and doesn't act hungry even though he isn't eating as much as a few weeks ago.
idma2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #13
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

good to hear! it's hard to explain to people that breastfed babies don't need as much as formula fed, so i'm glad she listened! i told my mom that breastmilk increases in fat as our LOs get older, and she didn't know that either even though she BFed all her kiddos! just goes to show how much we all benefit from the www these days
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #14
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pump anywhere between 19oz and 25oz per day. I attempted to track how much DS was eating per day, but I would forgot to jot down feedings at times, especially in the middle of the night. For the few days I was able to track he was taking in at least 25oz. He's been really hungry lately, I'm thinking growth spurt. He'll polish off a 3oz-4oz bottle, using dr. brown's preemie or the NUK slowest flow nipples, and often he'll want another bottle just an hour or two later. Before this growth spurt he was content with 2oz-3oz bottles. At night he can go 4-5 hours without a feeding. He's really good at letting us know when he's hungry and when he's had enough. Sure there are times he'll drink when he's not hungry, and those are the times he spits more up, but for the most part he's doing really well.

We'll see how much he weighs next Monday. He does get formula on occasion which has allowed me to start up a freezer stash. I think I have at least 30oz frozen, but no more than 50oz. I have an older PIS (2005) and I was able to increase my supply by an ounce or two on average when switching to this pump, but I'm still worried I'm not producing enough. I was thinking of asking our pedi for a script of Domperidone. I at least want to get a much larger freezer stash built up, just in case something happens and I can't pump in the future. I wish I could afford a newer pump, but I'm in the process of trying to get a free rental from the hospital (long story). oh well, we'll see

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just went back to work, but I'm pumping 15-18oz/day and the wee babe is eating 9oz/day. I nurse him when I drop him off, nurse him at lunch and nurse him when I pick him up. Then he nurses all night long. I pump 10-12oz during the day and 3-5oz at night. I've accumulated quite the freezer stash in the last few weeks just pumping the 3-5oz at night....I've got 150oz in the freezer right now!
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #16
idma2three
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
I just went back to work, but I'm pumping 15-18oz/day and the wee babe is eating 9oz/day. I nurse him when I drop him off, nurse him at lunch and nurse him when I pick him up. Then he nurses all night long. I pump 10-12oz during the day and 3-5oz at night. I've accumulated quite the freezer stash in the last few weeks just pumping the 3-5oz at night....I've got 150oz in the freezer right now!

That is awesome!
idma2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #17
oherin
Registered Users

My Mood:

LO is 9m. I pump twice during the 6hrs I am away from him - 5 days a week. My first pump always is more: 8-10 oz. My second pump is usually 3-4 oz. LO is eating solids during two of his feedings, but always after the bottle. He usually will eat 2, 3-4 oz bottles, but I usually send an extra one just in case. I was sending 5oz bottles and worrying about not keeping up with his demand. I also experienced the overfeeding by daycare workers. Once I cut down on the quantity, he lost the title of spit up king!

We must be doing something right. He just weighed in at 22lbs!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #18
JessieV
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You ladies are some excellent pumpers! I pump about 15 oz/day (in 4 sessions) and my DS eats all of that during the day at daycare. He's on some solids now so the 15 oz is fine with him but before solids, he was eating about 18 oz at daycare. I was supplementing with formula for those extra few ounces. I'm so happy to be done with formula!

My knit gallery My Ravelry
JessieV is offline   Reply With Quote