Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Hudsonsk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
sweet potato allergy?

I fed my little boy a tbsp of sweet potato today in some rice cereal and he ate about half a cup worth. Two hours later he woke up from a nap with violent vomiting and continued to vomit every few minutes for about 1 1/2 hours. He also eventually ended up with a really red diaper rash. He doesnt have a fever and seems fine now. Could this have been a reaction to the sweet potato? It was his first time trying it and he's had the rice cereal before without a problem. I found some stories online that are EXACTLY the same as mine and was wondering what you moms think or if you've experienced this before?

Shanna

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: sweet potato allergy?

Sweet potato is an unusual allergy, but not unheard of. It could also be a coincidence if he's caught a virus or the like, though. Or he could have overeaten half a cup is a LOT of rice cereal! Maybe he was feeling sick to his tummy?
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
openadoptionmommy
Registered Users

Hey-my little guy was born the same day!

I wouldn't think a tbsp would cause that severe of a reaction! The stories you found online, where they about sweet potatoes?
openadoptionmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Hudsonsk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by openadoptionmommy View Post
Hey-my little guy was born the same day!

I wouldn't think a tbsp would cause that severe of a reaction! The stories you found online, where they about sweet potatoes?
Yes. I found about 15 different comments from moms saying that if their child has even a tiny amount of sweet potato, they will have uncontrollable vomiting about 2 hours later. No fever, and once the sweet potato is out of their system, no other reactions. The child also doesnt have a reaction to yams or white potato. Here are some of the posts by other mothers. The replies to the posts also show even more children with this problem. The Dr's have a hard time excepting it too and usually say its a virus because sweet potatoes don't usually cause problems. But every time the child has sweet potato the same scenario plays out.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=381259
http://bransblahg.blogspot.com/2008/...et-potato.html
http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=46120

Last edited by Hudsonsk; 10-14-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Hudsonsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
momnb4
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi
My DS did the same thing and he was worse with squash!Ialso tried carrots and it seems all orange veggies have the same effect on him and with each one the vomitting lasted longer and we fed them alone.Im glad Iam not the only one as our Dr looked at me like I was crazy when I told her.He is my fourth and none of my other kids had any problems.Have you tried them again?The Dr wants me to give them to him again and Im very reluctant to do so!
momnb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Hudsonsk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnb4 View Post
Hi
My DS did the same thing and he was worse with squash!Ialso tried carrots and it seems all orange veggies have the same effect on him and with each one the vomitting lasted longer and we fed them alone.Im glad Iam not the only one as our Dr looked at me like I was crazy when I told her.He is my fourth and none of my other kids had any problems.Have you tried them again?The Dr wants me to give them to him again and Im very reluctant to do so!
I havent been able to get him to eat carrots or squash yet but i'll watch him closely when I do. The Dr thought I was crazy too and said it must be a virus but I'm sure its not. I wont be giving him anymore sweet potatoes for a long while. He hasnt wanted to eat ANY food since it happened. I think he thinks it will all make him vomit!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
wiredpsyche
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It could be oxalates (I *think* sweet potato is higher in oxalate than yam), or if it is all orange veggies, it could be a beta-carotene conversion issue (meaning he needs A from milk and eggs instead of veggies).

Another thought: It could be that his stomach had trouble seperating the two - potato usually takes 40 minutes to digest while cereal takes 2 hours. Does he have problems with other food mixed into rice cereal?

And yet another thought: Sweet potatos need to be cooked thoroughly to deactivate certain inedible compounds, maybe you got a bad batch?

Last edited by wiredpsyche; 10-15-2009 at 04:15 PM.
wiredpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
canalian
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter is now 9 and had this exact reaction when she had sweet potatoes/ yams...the orange ones.....as a baby. Earth's best jars, actually. She actually vomited bile and passed out ....twice....both times after having the food. We rushed her to emergency and they found nothing and she seemed fine after a few hours. I have never heard of anyone else with this allergy...we haven't fed her them since, although a friend thinks she fed her sweet potato fries a few years ago with no reaction......I think I'll have her tested eventually, but right now she knows not to eat them and always asks what's in things. It's very interesting to read this as it has seemed so strange of an allergy. I would say it is a definite possibility, given our experience. Thankfully, it is pretty easy to avoid.
canalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My youngest was allergic to sweet potato. While some allergies are less common, you can really be allergic to anything. I have a lot of food allergies & many of them are to some really uncommon things.

Really sweet potato is a very easily avoidable food & not a necessity. I'd just move on to other veggies.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
togetherinthelandofoz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know this is an old thread but wanted to say I'm experiencing the same thing, but not so severe. My little guy is now 9 mths and any time he has tried sweet potatoes and carrots (haven't tried squash yet) his face swells around his eyes and gets red and he gets agitated. I'm thinking a beta carotene allergy. We avoid these now. He also appears to be allergic to eggs. 1st time we tried those about 10 minutes later he threw it all up and got hives.

Our 9mth check up is next week so I'm going to see what the doc says.

OliviaZachariahIsabella Psalm 139:13-14
togetherinthelandofoz is offline   Reply With Quote