Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
mer316
Registered Users

Re: sweet potato allergy?

My DS had exactly the same reaction to sweet potatoes. We had him allergy tested (not just b/c of that, but we did have them test specifically for sweet potato) and he is NOT allergic. I think it's just an intolerance. My mom fed him some sweet potato fries recently and his stomach seemed to be upset all night, but there was no vomiting this time.

Advertisement

mer316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
togetherinthelandofoz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Saw the doc today and she thought it was more likely a specific food allergy rather than the beta carotene but she said that if he continues to show signs of allergies to these foods, then at 12 mths (he's 9) that is when she refers to have allergy testing done. Hoping he just grows out of it!

OliviaZachariahIsabella Psalm 139:13-14
togetherinthelandofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

DS doesn't have a reaction with sweet potatoes, but he breaks out in hives from green beans. No one will believe me and it drives me crazy. He's not allergic to any other veggie, green or not, but green beans and everyone tells me I'm making it up because it's soo random. So I just wanted to say it's entirely possible!
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
amazon_jane21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysprincess
DS doesn't have a reaction with sweet potatoes, but he breaks out in hives from green beans. No one will believe me and it drives me crazy. He's not allergic to any other veggie, green or not, but green beans and everyone tells me I'm making it up because it's soo random. So I just wanted to say it's entirely possible!
DD does the same thing and I had to get pics for the pedi to believe me. She had them in her mouth, ears, and on her eyelids as well as all over her body. How long after eating does your LO take to react?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
amazon_jane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon_jane21 View Post
DD does the same thing and I had to get pics for the pedi to believe me. She had them in her mouth, ears, and on her eyelids as well as all over her body. How long after eating does your LO take to react?
The first time we fed them to him, we didn't notice until about an hour later because he had been playing in the leaves outside in long sleeves and pants. The second time, it was less than 30 minutes. The 3rd time was probably 15-30, and it was only from eating a biscuit that had some green bean juice on it.

We just switched their ped, and I was talking to him about possible allergy concerns with DD because of his green bean allergy and he thought I was crazy, then I told him he had the same reaction 3 times and he said it was a very random allergy but he believed me because it had been repeated 3 times. His old ped told me it was a coincidence. FIL still tells me I'm insane and tries to feed DS green beans all.the.time.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just a heads up for mom's with babies with delayed reactions....

Check out this website to learn about FPIES (food protein induced enterocolitis syndrome) if your LO is having repeated delayed (usually 2 hours or so) vomiting/lethargy reactions after baby eats the same food (or a variety of foods or even milk or soy based formula). Babies with this may also have blood in their diapers in the days after reactions. Symptoms DO NOT include hives or swelling unless baby also have IgE allergies as well.
http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=99&title=FPIES%3A_Food_Protein _Induced_Enterocolitis_Syndrome

This disorder is in a spectrum of disorders that includes proctocolitis (primariliy reactions to proteins through breastmilk or formula with the main symptom being bloody diapers) and enteropathy (reactions to formulas and/or foods, symptoms of malabsorption, failure to thrive, anemia, diarrhea, vomiting).
Gwendolyn (due 7-6-15)

Last edited by amberdawn723; 08-08-2011 at 10:04 AM.
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberdawn723 View Post
Just a heads up for mom's with babies with delayed reactions....

Check out this website to learn about FPIES (food protein induced enterocolitis syndrome) if your LO is having repeated delayed (usually 2 hours or so) vomiting/lethargy reactions after baby eats the same food (or a variety of foods or even milk or soy based formula). Babies with this may also have blood in their diapers in the days after reactions. Symptoms DO NOT include hives or swelling unless baby also have IgE allergies as well.
http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=99&title=FPIES%3A_Food_Protein _Induced_Enterocolitis_Syndrome

This disorder is in a spectrum of disorders that includes proctocolitis (primariliy reactions to proteins through breastmilk or formula with the main symptom being bloody diapers) and enteropathy (reactions to formulas and/or foods, symptoms of malabsorption, failure to thrive, anemia, diarrhea, vomiting).
Hi mama I was the one from the formula feeding forum when you first posted about your baby. By the sound of your post, you must think she does have FPIES. I'm sorry

This mama is right. Anytime baby has severe vomiting and lethargy about 1-2 hours after eating a food, FPIES should be suspected. It is nothing to mess around with and can be very dangerous. After a reaction like that, I would not give the food again until you have seen a GI or allergist who is familiar with FPIES.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #18
amzasmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ds is allergic to orange veggies. he gets a rash around his mouth and his eczema flairs.

Swagging for Amazon gift cards for DD toddler bed!
amzasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #19
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi Wendow! Yes, I'm pretty sure she has FPIES. I got her to an allergist and he diagnosed her with food protein-induced enteropathy...but I still think she has FPIES instead. But regardless the treatment is essentially the same. I wasn't too fond of him and he didn't seem all that worried or interested (didn't even want to see her again til she was 1 year old!). So for now the plan is to ebf and then introduce a veggie at about 5 1/2 months (beginning of September). We'll see how she does up until her 6 month well-baby appointment (middle of September) and then I'm going to see if I can get a referral to a GI doctor. If she has another reaction before then, then I'll make her an appointment sooner.

I can't remember what all I said in that initial post about my dd, but she has had the classic reactions to milk-based formulas and she has had blood and mucous in her stools the days/weeks after even small ingestions of formulas (the times she refused to drink but did get down 1/2 an oz or less). Today is day 11 after having 1/2 oz of milk-based formula (my attempt at retrialing a formula to convince myself that there really is something wrong) and she is still having very tiny/faint streaks of blood in her diapers. It's almost completely gone now. I am practically 100% sure she has FPIES.

And Wendow, I want to thank you SOOOOO much for pointing me in the right direction. I'm not sure I would have found out about FPIES if it wasn't for you. So thank you from the bottom of my heart!

There are some really great FPIES support groups on facebook that have been very helpful to me that I would highly recommend to any other mamas out there that need some support!
Gwendolyn (due 7-6-15)

Last edited by amberdawn723; 08-08-2011 at 11:16 PM.
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #20
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberdawn723 View Post
Hi Wendow! Yes, I'm pretty sure she has FPIES. I got her to an allergist and he diagnosed her with food protein-induced enteropathy...but I still think she has FPIES instead. But regardless the treatment is essentially the same. I wasn't too fond of him and he didn't seem all that worried or interested (didn't even want to see her again til she was 1 year old!). So for now the plan is to ebf and then introduce a veggie at about 5 1/2 months (beginning of September). We'll see how she does up until her 6 month well-baby appointment (middle of September) and then I'm going to see if I can get a referral to a GI doctor. If she has another reaction before then, then I'll make her an appointment sooner.

I can't remember what all I said in that initial post about my dd, but she has had the classic reactions to milk-based formulas and she has had blood and mucous in her stools the days/weeks after even small ingestions of formulas (the times she refused to drink but did get down 1/2 an oz or less). Today is day 11 after having 1/2 oz of milk-based formula (my attempt at retrialing a formula to convince myself that there really is something wrong) and she is still having very tiny/faint streaks of blood in her diapers. It's almost completely gone now. I am practically 100% sure she has FPIES.

And Wendow, I want to thank you SOOOOO much for pointing me in the right direction. I'm not sure I would have found out about FPIES if it wasn't for you. So thank you from the bottom of my heart!

There are some really great FPIES support groups on facebook that have been very helpful to me that I would highly recommend to any other mamas out there that need some support!
It sounds like you are doing the very best thing you can for her in continuing to bf her! I don't remember all the details of your post either but I just remember it sounded very suspicious for FPIES. I truly hope she doesn't have that and just has some dairy intolerance but it sounds like you are well prepared in case FPIES is a reality. Sorry about your not-so-great doctor...didn't even want to see her again until a year That is awesome that you have found some support! Hang in there, you are gonna get through this just fine