Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

We need bedtime help!

I have 2 boys that absolutely hate going to bed/taking a nap. Aedan is 3 and gets out of bed several times before actually laying down and going to sleep. Harley is almost 18 months and I usually rock him to sleep at bedtime and he will sleep through the night. Lately they have both been really resistant. Harley has been taking forever to rock to sleep and most of the time I end up putting him in his bed and letting him CIO for 5 minutes (or less). He usually lays down and goes to sleep after that. I HATE letting him CIO...can't stand the sound of my babies crying (it makes me feel so bad).

I guess I'm just trying to find a way to get them to go to sleep with less fuss. We start getting ready for bed around 8 and it is after 9:30 (sometimes later) by the time they are asleep.

What are some of your bedtime routines/tricks to getting your kids to sleep without the drama?

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: We need bedtime help!

Once Bruce turned two our betime routine went out the window but, here's what we did.

An hour or 30 mins before bedtime I or Dh and I would go into Bruce's bedroom. I would play music and gave him a chance to play in his room before bedtime. When he was little (before he wanted to eat the book) I would read to him. Then about 10 mins before I put him down I would put some soft music on and let him have some down time. After I got his diaper on and pj's I would put him in his crib and turn off the light and leave. The music kept on playing till the last song. He didn't cry or anything and slept all night. Once he turned two he kept of climbing out of his crib on the lowest setting. So, we had to get a toddler bed. Our nap and bedtime routine went out the window. It's not a good routine but it works for now. He gets his diaper and pj's on at about 8 and falls asleep on the couch. Then one of us takes him in his room and he will sleep all night, unless he has a bad dream. Then some nights one of us will lay next to him on the floor until he falls asleep. It might just be a phase and maybe not. I would just see how things work out. Try different things and see what works. The older Bruce got his bedtime moved up. Now he goes down around 9 but he will also take a two, three hour nap as well. Good luck!
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
homebirthbaby04
Registered Users

I give my little ones a cup of SleepyTime Tea when we first start getting ready for bed. This just helps them to relax and wind down. I will admit that I do let them CIO though. It's difficult to listen to, but it's a very important developmental step. As much as we'd always like to be there as the protectors, we won't. Children need to learn to soothe themselves and bedtime is the beginning step. Five minutes is not so bad and if your consistent with this new routine in a week it'll be 3 minutes and the week after that it'll be 1 minute and so one. The important thing is to remain as consitent as possible. Children like routines. Hope this helps. Stick with it Momma, you're not doing a bad thing.
homebirthbaby04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wear thier little butts out!!! I dont know how much time they get outside, ect, but I'd do anything in my power to get them wore out by bedtime. My ods needs lots of stimulation so we put him in the German Kindergarten and it's like a playgroup/daycare type setting, but very structured as well and it's all day so he is way pooped by the time it comes for bed!!!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids are go go go all day. Honestly I don't know how they couldn't be tired. Most of the time I think they are REALLY tired and are just fighting it, kwim? I might try reading a story to Aedan, but Harley starts screaming as soon as you put him in his crib. (kinda like the kid on the Sharpie commercial where he cries as soon as she puts his little feet on the floor)
Old 01-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

I'm a firm believer in strict bed time routines and found that it helped both of my kids. DS is waking up at 7am (if not on his own, I wake him), 11am-1pm is nap time (again, if he's not up by 1pm on his own, I wake him) and then it's bed time at 7pm. I followed his cues on when he's tired etc. and also learned that if I were to let him sleep longer in the morning, he wouldn't nap well, hence be cranky for the rest of the day and on top of that he wouldn't sleep well at night.
With this routine he goes to bed willingly (I only need to say "Bed time" and he says "Bye bye" to DH and DD) and sleeps 12 hrs through.
The only exception is when he's either sick or teething, which latter shouldn't be a question anymore as he's got all teeth by now.

I'm not sure how/if your daily rountines (naps?) are, but that'd be the first I'd look into and unfortunately if your youngest hasn't learned to fall asleep on his own yet, I'd say it's time, even if it means to CIO (meaning, letting him cry for 5-10 mins, going back in, checking on him, consoling, going back out! Not letting him cry until he's worn out!!!). I'd also stop the rocking routine if I were you.
Just my
Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
vickydew05
Registered Users

My dd is 13 months and basically we are on a pretty good schedule she only take one morning nap a day usually, which is crazy but she won't take the second nap!! Anyway, we give her a warm milk bottle before bed ( she is on a sippy during the day) and then she winds down on her own and we just let her tell us basically when she is ready and BAM not a fuss and she goes right to sleep. If she is not ready then we play a little more and then try again. usually she is ready by 8:00. She is up at 7:30 ish everyday and naps at 10:00 or so. I just find with a really good routine and schedule it helps tremendously. Goodluck!!
vickydew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
vickydew05
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMommyOf2 View Post
I'm a firm believer in strict bed time routines and found that it helped both of my kids. DS is waking up at 7am (if not on his own, I wake him), 11am-1pm is nap time (again, if he's not up by 1pm on his own, I wake him) and then it's bed time at 7pm. I followed his cues on when he's tired etc. and also learned that if I were to let him sleep longer in the morning, he wouldn't nap well, hence be cranky for the rest of the day and on top of that he wouldn't sleep well at night.
With this routine he goes to bed willingly (I only need to say "Bed time" and he says "Bye bye" to DH and DD) and sleeps 12 hrs through.
The only exception is when he's either sick or teething, which latter shouldn't be a question anymore as he's got all teeth by now.

I'm not sure how/if your daily rountines (naps?) are, but that'd be the first I'd look into and unfortunately if your youngest hasn't learned to fall asleep on his own yet, I'd say it's time, even if it means to CIO (meaning, letting him cry for 5-10 mins, going back in, checking on him, consoling, going back out! Not letting him cry until he's worn out!!!). I'd also stop the rocking routine if I were you.
Just my
I agree and this is how we do it as well!! I have to say I do wake my dd as well in the a.m if she is not up by at the latest 8:00.
vickydew05 is offline   Reply With Quote