Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
kgsd
Registered Users
seller

Travelling with a baby

I am taking a trip across the country with my mom and sister in March. (My sister is going to a visitor's day at the grad school she'll be attending, and we thought we'd make a fun trip out of it.) Katie will be about 9 months old at that point. I can leave her with DH, and he's fine with that, but he's a SAHD so I was thinking about taking Katie to give DH a little break. Will y'all give me your opinions on whether it'll be feasible to bring Katie?

We'll be travelling there on Thursday and back on Sunday. On Friday, my sister will be touring the school and attending some information sessions, and my mom and I may join her. On Saturday, my sister wants to drive around and look at some neighborhoods, and then we may possibly walk around the city a little and do some touristy things. We may be taking public transportation at some point.

What do I do when Katie needs to take a nap? Are hotel cribs safe? Any other tips? Am I completely nuts for wanting to take Katie?

Thanks for any information you can give me!

Advertisement

kgsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
A'smommy
Registered Users

Re: Travelling with a baby

Usually the hotel "crib" is a pack-n-play...totally safe. The thing you have to watch for is in the old-style cribs, very often they will put pillows and blankets in there. I just tuck the blankets under the mattress and pull them taut and ditch the pillow. I don't think you're nuts; my DD has been all over the place. I would try to keep the hotel room through the afternoon (maybe taking off driving first thing in the morning?) so that your DD can get an afternoon nap. I highly recommend a suite so you can watch TV in the other room while she naps.

Have fun!
Old 01-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say go for it.
Find a carrier that works for you. I love my ERGO for traveling. It makes all the difference in the world. You might check into rental companies for a crib and some new to your DD toys. That way you can travel light. Also, an umbrella stroller.
Have a fun trip.
Karen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She will need lots of entertainment while she's in the car....if she's anything like my boys are! I think dh and I are going to try traveling in the evening/night so the kids go to sleep in the car. Traveling with kids is tough. Well for us it is anyways.
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

been on all KINDS of road trips with all KINDS of kids at all kinds of ages. Its ALWAYS worse in my head than in reality. Kids are remarkably adaptable. Take her and have a great time
Old 01-15-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it is a good idea to take her. You guys will have fun.
Plus the idea of a suite is a good one. That is what we did when my DS was 9 mos old.
Both my Ds always fall asleep in the car, so car rides are fun for me
Have fun on your trip!