Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Junk food as incentive??

I"m wondering if "going to the soda machine" was a big treat for kids there.

Also - does the coach own the soda machine? Our atheltic director at my former school was the owner of the machines, and he went nuts when the teachers wanted them removed. he made alot of money off of them- maybe he wants to make soda drinkers out of th ekids - it sounds crazy, but those machines really bring in cash

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG I would be SO PO'd and you totally have the right to object. I say talk to the couch about it... what's the point in participating in a healthy activity if he's just going to give them junk for their rewards??

I *rarely* drink soda. I could probably count on my two hands how many sodas I had all last year. Honestly, I would rather the coach give them a juice box and cookie WAAAAY before soda.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

I agree. Promoting Junk food as a reward doesn't promote healthy living. I would talk with the coach. Kye got to be a bit of a pop junky for a while. One day I thought this isn't a treat anymore he's getting it all the time. We stopped having it in the house and when we go out to eat he can get chocolate milk as a treat instead. The girls each got a sip of pop one day and that is it. I hope that's the way it stays for a long time.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What you've got to remember is MOST people DO let their kids have pop. So it's not that he's going "Oh, these kids never get pop so that'll be a huge incentive!" When I worked at a daycare every Friday was vending machine day. The kids could get a soda and something out of the candy machine. Most kids could, some couldn't. We never made a big deal out of it. But all the kids were UBER excited about it because it was a treat. I'm sure this is the same way.

While I don't think I'd let my child drink pop often, once in a while won't hurt him. BUT, I do think you might talk to the coach about your particular situation and nicely explain that your child is now trying to do something that he simply cannot do (his body just won't stretch that far right now) and that you're not fond of him offering that as an incentive. Maybe offer other suggestions. *shrug*
Old 01-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #15
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

i dunno. i am potty training right now and offer candy rewards when he goes because it isnt something we do all the time here. Hence the term "reward". It gives them something to look forward to, kwim? Gatoradeisn't going to be a big treat if it may be something they get normally.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #16
A'smommy
Registered Users

I agree the coach prob doesn't realize your son doesn't drink pop at home. I don't think you'd be outta line to ask him to use some other incentive next time. Here in Texas it is illegal to bring any "non-nutritive" food into the classroom...that means no Jolly Ranchers (hard candies) for treats, no birthday cupcakes, no holiday cookies. It's extreme but it's better nutritionally for the kids.

Maybe a non-food bribe would be better? How about movie tickets? Or a Blockbuster gift card (do they have Blockbuster in Canada? Not sure...if they don't it's a video rental chain). Or tokens for a game arcade, putt-putt golf...something like that. Those are more expensive and not as easily procured as a soda from the machine...but surely there's another alternative???