Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
fwlady
Registered Users

Out of ALL Places to be Exposed...

to the FLU! I went into the furniture store that I go to monthly to go pay our bill. I usually chat with the gentlemen quickly while I pay, and it is quick and painless (well, except the actual bill my DH made).

Well, today, it was an unfamiliar woman that helped me, she must have been new. She looked terrible. I was hoping by the looks of her, that when I asked if she had the flu, she would say, "oh no! I have arthritis, allergies..." whatever, EXCEPT a YES answer. This is not a busy place at all. I can't see what would make her NEED to come in looking and feeling that badly!! I hesitantly asked, "It isn't swine, right?" as my big belly sticks out, and I am sporting my maternity clothes. And, she says, "No, the guys here gave me the regular kind." As I am trying to hurry and sign the paper, get my receipt, and then use the hand sanitizer sitting on the desk there, I mention something about how I usually don't care about the flu all that much, but the swine flu is killing 4% of its pregnant victims. She looked a little shocked by that number, but I am pretty sure it is right.

And, while my older son is sitting in the van with my sleeping medically fragile 22 mo old, I am so happy I didn't take him in. And, we are getting the emergency oxygen for him tomorrow, PTL! He usually handles the flu and pneumonia okay at home, with dr's help. Colds/asthma tend to hospitalize him. So, we have a good plan. I would expect to be exposed by accident in the grocery store or WM, but to have it right in my face at such a benign place, really shocked me. I thought ppl go to work with colds, but the flu?? DHs work really like their employees to work right through whatever it is, but with the swine thing, they have made it clear in their newsletter that the workers are to be symptom free for full 24 hrs before coming back into work. And, they don't have that many workers to spare.

So, I have to still decide what I am going to do. I have an OB appt tomorrow early morning and WIC shortly after that in a different town. Then, my DDs have a counseling appt in the afternoon, also in a different town. The counseling I am not too concerned about, my DH could take them to that. But, the others involve PG women and children/sometimes babies. Of what I have read, after being exposed I would come down with it in 2-5 days, and be contagious one day before symptoms. So, I would probably be okay tomorrow. I am going to call the MW/OB office right before I leave and ask them what they think I should do. Perhaps they will give me the Tamiflu Rx JIC I come down with it (or just call it in), to lower my son's (and other 6 children's) exposure. Or at least lessen it for me, who has to care for my large brood. I asked her if she got the flu shot to see if she could blame it on that, and that is when she said her coworkers gave it to her, no shot for her.

What to do? What to do? I could cancel the MW appt, and send DH to the WIC and counseling appts. I would rather not come down sick and feel silly, then to expose vulnerable ppl. KWIM? Kymberli

Advertisement

fwlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
apmomof4
Banned

Re: Out of ALL Places to be Exposed...

im sorry you were exposed but the flu is not killing 4% of preg. women.
apmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
abbi_n_nadia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That sucks! Its possible though that she didn't even have swine flu, just regular flu and its also possible that you might not get it or pass it on to someone. I don't think I'd be too worried, especially as far as spreading it when you don't know if you were really even exposed to swine flu. I'd ask your midwife and see what she thinks and go from there.

The numbers I'm seeing are around 700 pregnant women have been reported to have had the swine flu and 28 have died. Don't know if that is a current number or not but thats what I found. I'm terrible at math so somebody else can figure up the percentage!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Indigo
Registered Users

I would take a big dose of vit C, make sure I am sleeping well, and call the drs office and let them know, they may prefer to skip this visit and make sure you aren't sick.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbi_n_nadia View Post
That sucks! Its possible though that she didn't even have swine flu, just regular flu and its also possible that you might not get it or pass it on to someone. I don't think I'd be too worried, especially as far as spreading it when you don't know if you were really even exposed to swine flu. I'd ask your midwife and see what she thinks and go from there.

The numbers I'm seeing are around 700 pregnant women have been reported to have had the swine flu and 28 have died. Don't know if that is a current number or not but thats what I found. I'm terrible at math so somebody else can figure up the percentage!
that is exactly 4%
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
LilHippyMamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worrie about it unless you have symptoms. I was only told by the dr that it was highly suggested I go get tested for it because I'm high risk and my son had swine flu and was being treated for it but even my OB said if I didn't have symptoms not to worrie till I did.

Everyone in my house wound up getting the regular flu after he got sick except me and I was exposed to it all day/every day for half a week
Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbi_n_nadia View Post

Yep that is 4%. However, in most states they are not testing people for swine flu unless they are so sevearly ill that they need to be admitted to the hospital. So about 4% of women HOSPITALIZED with swine flu have died. That means that 4% of the most severe cases have died. There are no real acurate numbers on the number of pregant women total that have contracted this flu because most are not going into the hospital period let alone being admitted. It does effect pregnant women more than non pregnant women, but I would not start to worry until I showed symptoms.

Just take care of yourself (sleep, fluids, vit C, zinc, etc). Just because you were exposed does not mean you got it (regular or swine) or could expose others.