Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why would he stop sleeping through the night?

DS is 7 months old now. I nurse/rock him to sleep.
DS was sleeping through the night around 3 months...like 8-10 hours. I would hear him wake up and cry very briefly, but he would go right back to sleep.
Around 6 months, he started waking up 1x during the night.
Now...he is waking up 2-3 times a night (crying). What I'm noticing is that when he has his brief wakings, he must wake up more fully than before and can't go back to sleep. I can't for the life of me figure out why. I don't think I've changed anything, and I can't find anything wrong with him (no ear pulling or other obvious pain). Has this happened to anyone else?

Advertisement

Last edited by alaskamum; 10-20-2009 at 11:22 PM.
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
jellybelly37
formerly J*****e
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why would he stop sleeping through the night?

Yes, it happened to us. She slept through from 2-3 months old, but it stopped around 7-8 months. There seemed to be various things... teething, a few colds, learning new skills but most times it was just random. When she was 11 months we moved to a bigger place and she went into her own bedroom, out of ours. The first night she slept 11 hours straight and has slept through the night perfectly ever since, after 3-4 months of waking 2-3X a night. We put it down to the fact that she was more aware of us in the room and knew the milk bar was open. It made a huge difference to all of our health and mental status moving her into her own bedroom, and I would do it sooner with the next one. I know most people here are advocates of co-sleeping but it just wouldn't work for our situation and I'm glad she's not in our bed still!
jellybelly37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Babies wake several times during the night even if we think they are Sleeping Through The Night which mine did at 9 weeks. The ticket is in whether they know how to put themselves back to sleep and self soothe if they get upset. IMO, because you've always "assisted" him in falling asleep with nursing and rocking, he doesn't have this skill. Not sure how to stop him from waking in the first place (DS2 did this periodically until 11 months) but its not a big deal if he knows how to fall back asleep on his own. DS2 would wake, fuss about 10 seconds, talk about 20 seconds and go right back to sleep.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
JillCozza
Registered Users

My Mood:

babies need their parents to help them fall asleep, you should check out some research on baby sleep and brain developement. Dr Sears has some good baby sleep info, as well as the API site
JillCozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is almost a year, and she recently started waking up everynight at 1:30 or 2. After a week of this, I discovered two bright shiney new molers, and she started sleeping soundly again. Could he be teething?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

I'm sure this is frustrating for you! I've heard that babies can change sleeping patterns around the time of developmental milestones. Has he recently started crawling or maybe is about to? Perhaps teething, as the pp mentioned? Has he started eating solids? Maybe his system is adjusting or he's having some issues with solid food?
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

DS slept through the night from 8mo to 12mo and recently started waking up at 12:30-1 every night!!! UGH! I don't know why either, and I tried the CIO method (because he wasn't really crying it was whinning) and then one night I walked in to comfort him and he leaned around me and pointed down the hall to "daddy" (he can see our bed from his bed)... little terd just wants in our room! Stink pot!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Update:
He does sleep in his own crib, since about 8 weeks actually, there may have been some confusion about that in a previous answer...
Well, I put him to bed with a soft, minky blanket that had satin edging on it, tucked into the side of the crib so it wouldn't get tangled up on him...and he slept until 6:30 this morning. I did hear him wake up/make a little noise 2 or 3 times during the night, but he went back to sleep each time. Maybe he just needed something more comforting in his crib? I also put him in a less-stuffed diaper, b/c I thought what the heck, he's not making it all night anyway, there's no need for this much absorbency. No leaks either.
I'll be trying that again tonight!

I guess I just wasn't sure why he was able to put himself back to sleep when he was younger and suddenly stopped being able to.
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Dakini
Registered Users

My Mood:

This happened to me too. My DD was sleeping through the night, and I was "assisting" her to get to sleep, but was able to put herself back to sleep even so. Then, she's started to wake up every night...well, I think it's due to not feeling well, about to make new milestones, and teething. She still wakes up, but is usually able to put herself back to sleep....though I still have to get her at 5-6 in the morning...that time she won't go back to sleep without me.

Maybe he needed something comfy with him, or maybe he wasn't feeling 100%, or maybe his diaper was too big...8)...either way, kids change just as soon as you have everything into a routine!
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
FrozenFlame22
Registered Users

My Mood:

My munchkin always started getting up in the middle of the night when he was growth spurting. Come to think of it, he still does it and he's 5 now!

He also would get up when he got overstimulated some time in the day, working on new skills, or had a nap at a weird time. There may be more than one cause.
FrozenFlame22 is offline   Reply With Quote