View Poll Results: What works best?
Toilet seat insert 32 44.44%
Potty 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
IYO what works best- a small potty or a toilet-insert

Just that... I am wondering what to use with my 21 month old, she has a little potty that she sits on but might one of those toilet seat ones work better?

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Re: IYO what works best- a small potty or a toilet-insert

I liked the toilet insert (they even make toilet seats with a built in kid's part that can just fold up into the lid when an adult is using the toilet) but a step stool that they can rest their feet on while seated on the toilet is a must. Can you imagine trying to go number two while your feet dangle helplessly and uncomfortably off into space?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
pixieixiq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My vote is for the toilet insert, BUT I must say this. We started DD with a small potty, and that was really helpful for getting her used to the idea of going potty, etc. Once going potty was no longer totally new or scary, we got the Baby Bjorn insert & step stool (I actually feel it's the best, just an FYI) and found that she was much more receptive to wearing underwear and going in the "real" potty than she was with the little potty. It's like she wanted to go potty the way we do, and couldn't get that feelign with the little potty. BUT, I'll use both with my other two kiddos, so I'm not sure my vote is all that accurate. Hope that helps!

Oh, and we now put the little potty directly in her room so that she can go quickly if needed at night while we work on getting free of peeing at night. So ti's helpful there, too.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine were all scared of the big potty, so we used a small potty for the first 3 months or so.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphibology29 View Post
I liked the toilet insert (they even make toilet seats with a built in kid's part that can just fold up into the lid when an adult is using the toilet) but a step stool that they can rest their feet on while seated on the toilet is a must. Can you imagine trying to go number two while your feet dangle helplessly and uncomfortably off into space?
OMG!! I so understand this! We have these things at school that make the handicapped seats higher up and I cannot touch the ground..and it was very hard to potty the other day lol

I can't comment on the toilet seat or little potty..but I am very interested in the results of this thread.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I vote for both. You'll enjoy the benefits of both that way.

Potties are great for having in the bedroom at night when you night train.

Toilet inserts are great for public restrooms or when visiting friends and family. No need to disrupt the training with a diaper when out and about.

Our older DD never had issues with having a preference.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD1 used the fisher price potty when first learning. We also had a pink baby bjorn potty but she prefered the fisher price potty and would not use the pink baby bjorn potty. We also have a Tinkerbell potty insert. It has handles on the side of it for her. Now that she is potty trained she has been preferring to use the big potty with her Tinkerbell insert. Which I like better because then I'm not emptying out a potty every time. For some reason she also preferred to only do #2 in the big potty with the insert. She use to be anti-big potty but since she has started preschool and they use a smaller version of a big potty I think that's why she's now wanting to use the big potty at home as well. I need to buy her a step stool though because she's too short and she can't get on top of the toilet without my help. I didn't vote. For us we used both.
/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love the Baby Bjorn Little Potty. My DD is 26 months (trained around 18 months) and still prefers to use the little potty over the big one with or without an insert. She just feels more comfortable with both her feet firmly planted on the ground.

Also, it is really handy to have a little potty when you start training since it can be close by and ready to use at a moments notice. Also, when little ones get distracted, it is easier to have a potty close by to plop them on while they are peeing in their pants so you don't have too much floor to clean. And lastly, I have found that my DD will say that she doesn't want to go potty after previously saying "I need to go potty" when she realizes that she has to leave her toys. Sometimes it's just easier to bring the little potty to her and have her go. At least that is what has worked for us!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
evemarieisrad
Registered Users

i think it depends on the child. my daughter does really well with a potty, we have a cheap one from ikea. she wont sit on the toilet insert thing though. when my little brother was potty training he did not like potties, and he did much better on the toilet insert thing.
evemarieisrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD likes her little potty best. She hates sitting on big pottys. I thought that when we were having issues with PT'ing that it was because we needed a insert for the big potty, but that just made it worse. I think it just depends on the kid though...