Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #21
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Re: Who here lets their school age child have a little freedom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama View Post
I totally believe "stranger danger" is largely a myth. If you research, child abductions and other violence against children HAS gone down since the 70's when most of us were kids. Only thing that has changed is media. The media hype has made people more paranoid about the few things that DO happen. Its sad. That and people generally don't mind their own business anymore. If I leave my child in my AIR conditioned car while I run in the gas station to pay, I SHOULD NOT have to worry about someone calling the cops. But I do. My kids are safe IMO, and its ridiculous that I should even have to worry about that. The world we live in is only as "BAD" as we make it.
Good point.

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #22
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is 12, and she happily spent the summer riding her bike around the city, just like she did last summer (with friends of course).
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #23
4girls3boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: 3boys3girls
seller

My Mood:

Our kids are NOT allowed to "roam freely" around the neighborhood. We live in a rather small town with a population of about 3600, surrounded by other small towns. Our 10.5 year old son can ride is bike around our block and one block over (in either direction). Our almost 8 year old daughter has to walk with either me or our almost 14 year old son to her best friend's house which is 1.5 blocks away. But i must say that kids of ALL ages are freely roaming around this town. I just don't get it. Six years ago, in a nearby small town, a little girl vanished just walking down her block. She hasn't been seen since. She was five. http://www.amw.com/missing_children/brief.cfm?id=25696
4girls3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #24
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
our 2 pretty much have the run of the neighborhood but must check in w/ us reguarly. the 9yo is allowed to go by herself but the 4yo has to have his big sister with him to go out of the yard.
LOL, at first I read this as "our 2yo"
Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #25
monicadd
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nope, my kids will probably NEVER get to much freedom. My sister was abducted and murdered as a child and i will never forget that or give someone the chance to do it to my children. No insults for those that do, i just will NOT. and they can hate me later i guess. I just love them to much.
Devoted and Gorgeous DH CJ
monicadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #26
MarineGurl020412
Registered Users

My Mood:

Over here in Japan my kids will probably have WAY more freedom than in the States. over here is it nothing to see 5&6 yr olds roaming freely through town. They are extrememly well behaved and careful about where they are going. I know I can't at the moment let my 6yr old behave that same way as she was brought up so far with myself or her daddy around all the time.

"Your intuition is a better guide than everyone else's opinion of how you should do it."
MarineGurl020412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:02 AM   #27
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

My family lives in the country but our driveway is right off a highway. The hwy isn't very busy AT ALL, it's an old country HWY, but the cars go FAST and there are no shoulders. Luckily we have 5 acres of woods of our own and another 5 acres adjoining ours that my kids are free to use for play. So with 10 fenced acres and our house being set far off the road, and trusted neighbors on the other side of the woods, my kids are allowed to stay outside all day if they want. I don't make them stay where I can see them or check in. There are days I don't see them for hours and hours.

HOWEVER, I have an old fashioned "triangle" hanging on the back porch that I ring if I want them come in, and they are expected to RUN to the house immediately, no matter what they are doing, even if they're in the middle of playing with the neighbor kids. My boys are 9 and almost-6.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #28
pigletmsu
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyvegan View Post
So with 10 fenced acres and our house being set far off the road, and trusted neighbors on the other side of the woods, my kids are allowed to stay outside all day if they want. I don't make them stay where I can see them or check in. There are days I don't see them for hours and hours.

HOWEVER, I have an old fashioned "triangle" hanging on the back porch that I ring if I want them come in, and they are expected to RUN to the house immediately, no matter what they are doing, even if they're in the middle of playing with the neighbor kids. My boys are 9 and almost-6.

I wish we had this. I live in a subdivision in a fairly safe neighborhood where I know almost everyone near me. My parents, grandma and my inlaws live around the corner on a cul-de-sac. So my 6 year old DS is allowed to ride his bike to the circle and back or in front of our house. I also let him walk to the grandparents houses by himself. But he calls me when he gets there. My 4 year old is only allowed to play in front of our house, but can't leave the yard without someone with her. I have occasionally allowed her to walk to her grandma's by herself but not usually because she's not completely trustworthy yet when it comes to getting to her destination quickly and without getting sidetracked.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #29
FrozenFlame22
Registered Users

My Mood:

I live in east Iowa which has an extremely low crime rate, but I don't see kids out by themselves very often even here. Well, except for the ONE little part of the city where no child any age should be out by themselves.

I suppose my situation is a bit different since my oldest is autistic and so he just doesn't get the danger signals that most kids his age get. Heck, he even has trouble talking to familiar people, moreso if he's trying to remember where he lives. Nope, he won't be going out alone for a very, very, very long time. His younger sister (to be born this month!) will likely get neighborhood exploration privileges before he does.
FrozenFlame22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #30
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My 10 1/2 yr old has freedom. She is allowed to ride around the block, walk to the corner store, walk to the closest elem. school as long as she is with friends.

Our 5 1/2 and 3 1/2 yr old are only allowed in the backyard alone.
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote