Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #451
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: A Double-Dog Dare for those that are challenged by their little girl's hair!!

I was so scared to get my eyebrows done too, because I CAN'T PLUCK at all! So I went twice (about every 3 weeks) Then started plucking and figured they shaped them for me, Well that didn't work. I just said to Jon that I'm going to start getting them waxed again. It's $10 every 3 weeks, 4 if I have nothing going on. Plus I tip $2 So $12 every 3-4 weeks. WORTH IT to me!!

Advertisement

HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #452
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: A Double-Dog Dare for those that are challenged by their little girl's hair!!

Really, just re-plucking after they've "shaped" them won't work?? bummer! That was my plan!

princesshairstyles is on page 981,000(ish)!! Getting closer to one million!!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #453
SRUEDU
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is there an "Idiot's Guide" to French braiding somewhere? I seem to be extremely challenged in this area. I found a video somewhere that taught me how to do a fishbone, but french braiding seems to beyond me. And there are so many cute styles that require it!!!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #454
Sakari
Registered Users

I put a couple posts about french braiding on my blog But I'm not sure how helpful they are! I'd be honored if you'd try to give me feedback.

To me, the fishbone and french braid are basically the same - only for the french braid you take bigger strands of hair - the fishbone/fishtail braids take tiny little strands to cross over. hmmm, that's not making much sense...

Okay, say you are just going to braid a normal braid in your DD's hair...but instead of starting it at the base of her neck and using all her hair - start up near her forehead with just a section of hair. (any kind of section, if she doesn't have bangs, then use what would be her bangs)

Then just braid like normal.

when you feel "ready" grab some extra hair from down by her ear (or wherever) and add it to the section that's crossing over to the middle. Does that make sense?

Then you would normally cross the other side over - but include with that some "extra" hair that isn't in the braid yet.

And so on and so forth!

Just to get the idea, you don't have to be adding new hair to each and every strand. Just add it every couple strands or something (it looks neat, too!) That might help you get the feeling of it...cuz you're just braiding like normal....but then you add some hair to one of your three strands....braid like normal....add more hair....braid like normal ....etc.

Well that's not at ALL how I explained it on the blog...but let me know what you think!

Last edited by Sakari; 01-20-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #455
SRUEDU
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
Just to get the idea, you don't have to be adding new hair to each and every strand. Just add it every couple strands or something (it looks neat, too!) That might help you get the feeling of it...cuz you're just braiding like normal....but then you add some hair to one of your three strands....braid like normal....add more hair....braid like normal ....etc.
Now see, that whole, grabbing and adding... let's just say the knot look is NOT what I'm looking for. More of a braid is what I was looking for, but just can't seem to figure out how to do the adding, while holding the hair and and weaving... Am I the only one who has issues with this? Am I the only one who is this challenged with french braiding? This is one of my New Year's resolutions! I AM going to figure this out this year!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 AM   #456
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUEDU View Post
Now see, that whole, grabbing and adding... let's just say the knot look is NOT what I'm looking for. More of a braid is what I was looking for, but just can't seem to figure out how to do the adding, while holding the hair and and weaving... Am I the only one who has issues with this? Am I the only one who is this challenged with french braiding? This is one of my New Year's resolutions! I AM going to figure this out this year!
With resolve like that - there's no stopping you!

No, really, it really is tricky until you get the hang of it - then it's like riding a bike, you think it's super easy because you don't even have to think about it, your muscles just do it. Eventually that's how you'll feel about french braiding. Trust me

I let go of one strand while I gather the "new" hair to add. Then you can pick it back up again once you've added the hair.

Let's see if I can make that any clearer without pictures... pretend you just crossed the left side over to the middle...then you'd go to cross the right side over, right? ok. Once you've done that. STOP. You should have one strand kinda in your palm of your left hand, and the most recently crossed strand in the tips of your fingers of your left hand...are we still together? and the third strand is in your right hand. LET THAT ONE GO. (re-cap, two strands in your left hand, third strand laying on head, right hand free!) Then with your right hand, you can pick up the new hair and add it to the strand that is in your fingertips of the left hand. Once that is done you are back to having just three strands of hair.... two in the left hand and one laying on her head. So now you can pick up that loose strand again and go to the other side!

Phew, holy run-on paragraph, batman!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #457
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

It is so hard to explain french braiding in words! We need a video
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #458
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm a French braid dummy too. The main issue is with holding because it's hard only having two hands and you really have to get the holding down and adding in the other piece of hair. You only add in hair to the strand that you are going to cross over next but yeah, it's not easy and I don't dare try the herringbone. I can do a single French braid, sometime, if I have enough patience but anything more than that, ugh. It really does take a lot of practice. And forget underbraiding. Yikes!
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #459
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

oh, and it does help to french braid when the hair is wet.

Guess what girls?? I cut Em's hair this week. I just gave her bangs... pics to come soon!
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #460
Sakari
Registered Users

Thanks for the video link

I can't wait to see pics of her bangs!

Janeen - what's a herringbone?? I'm assuming it's what I can a "fishtail"? Can you do that up on the head like a french braid then?? hmmmm and is "underbraiding" probably the same as "inside out french braid"?? (mine and my mom's made up name for them ) Those are tricky! Especially when you've been doing the other kind for so long, and then you try to switch it up But I like the variety of looks, so I try to practice every once in awhile. I don't think I've tried one on DD yet tho...hmm!

Last edited by Sakari; 01-21-2010 at 11:42 PM.